Faith in what, exactly?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Faith in what, exactly?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

A lot of talk about faith: faith in god, in christ, in christ's words, etc.
But no one (it seems) has directly spoken to god or christ. So, the faith comes from the bible (which it seems only applies to some people some of the time and isn't for everyone).

For discussion:

Can you provide proof that your faith is, indeed, in god and or christ (or whatever horse you're betting on in this race) and not in the word of god, written in, the bible (or whatever religious text you hold true)?
If you can provide proof, will you provide proof?

EDIT (thank you Miles): exactly what constitutes faith in something? That "faith in" means god or christ is true?
Last edited by nobspeople on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Faith in what, exactly?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

AND, if I may add; exactly what constitutes faith in something? That "faith in" means god or christ is true?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:16 pm .

AND, if I may add; exactly what constitutes faith in something? That "faith in" means god or christ is true?

Thanks for that, I've added this to the OP, citing you as a 'contributor'. :ok:

bjs1
Sage

Post #4

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I am have problems understanding the difference. Faith in someone means that I believe that the person is who he says he is and will do what he says he will do.

Let’s imagine that my friend says, “I will be at your house at 2:00,” and I believe him. Do I have faith in my friend (that he will be at my house at 2:00) or do I have faith in the words that he spoke (that the words are true). It would seem that if I have faith in my friend, then I will have faith that his words are true. If I have faith that his words are true, then I have faith in my friend. There does not seem to be any way to separate those concepts.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:33 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I am have problems understanding the difference. Faith in someone means that I believe that the person is who he says he is and will do what he says he will do.

Let’s imagine that my friend says, “I will be at your house at 2:00,” and I believe him. Do I have faith in my friend (that he will be at my house at 2:00) or do I have faith in the words that he spoke (that the words are true). It would seem that if I have faith in my friend, then I will have faith that his words are true. If I have faith that his words are true, then I have faith in my friend. There does not seem to be any way to separate those concepts.
For me, to have faith, it has to be something you haven't experienced before. So, if your friend says I'll be there at XYZ time, and people have arrived at houses as specific times, that's not faith, but (loose) trust in your friend, the roads, their vehicle, etc. If your friend says I'm gonna fly to your house on a horse, then that would be faith. But that's an aside to the thread itself.

If seem if someone has faith in god, they do so because they've been told to do so by others (eventually learning to have faith) based on words written by men in a book (the bible). So, you're not having faith in god, but the words of those spoken to you and read.
In order to equate that faith to god (aka god's word), you have to do so based on what you've been told as you have no other reason to think the bible is god's word.
If that makes sense.