Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Folks, sin, and the holy thing there

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 44, here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: Yea, I get it. You wanted your sin of choice whatever that might be. It will not make sense it will be a drive and desire to know Christ when the Holy Spirit convicts a person of their sin. The Holy Spirit has not convicted you of the sin in your life and He may never convict you of the sin in your life. But until that happens you cannot and you will not become a Chrisitan.
For debate:

What the heck is that all about, and can any of y'all put any truth to it.

Mostly the putting truth to it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Re: Folks, sin, and the holy thing there

Post #2

Post by EarthScienceguy »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

Christians only become Christians when the Holy Spirit convicts them of their sin. You are not convicted of your sin because the Holy Spirit has not convicted you.

John 15:16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will remain—so that whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you."

Men do not choose to become Christians they are chosen by God when he convicts them of their sin.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:54 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

Christians only become Christians when the Holy Spirit convicts them of their sin.
Please off some means by which we can confirm you speak truth in this matter.
You are not convicted of your sin because the Holy Spirit has not convicted you.
Where've you established a god considers something a sin?

Or that there's a Holy Spirit" involved?

Snip Bible text that does nothing to establish the veracity of the above challenged claims.
Men do not choose to become Christians they are chosen by God when he convicts them of their sin.
More unevidenced claims.

Here's the thing, I find it very insulting to be accused of violating the laws of any god the accuser is incapable of showing exists before they can even show that god is capable of thought, that the god might consider my doings sinful.

The Christian has this little escape clause when slandering folks - "It was God that said it, not me."

BULL BISCUITS.

The Christian should not be excused for baseless, unprovable slanders.
-Punkinhead Martin

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #4

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #3]
Please off some means by which we can confirm you speak the truth in this matter.
Was Jesus 100% man and 100% God?

Why would Romans believe a member of a conquered people is God?

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:23 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #3]
Please off some means by which we can confirm you speak the truth in this matter.

Questions are not evidence. And, more unsupported claims and beliefs are in no way evidence in support of other claims and beliefs.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:23 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #3]
Lacking confirmation he ever even existed, I can't tell.

Can you?
Why do so many Christians hate homosexuals?

We can go back and forth asking questions, but what I prefer is to see you actually show your previous claims are true and factual.
-Punkinhead Martin

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #7

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #6]

So are you saying Jesus did not exist?
Why do you believe that when virtually all scholars believe that He does exist?

This is why I ask questions to assess the knowledge base of the one I am speaking with, to determine whether or not it is worth my time to hold a conversation with them. Because usually if a person does not have the knowledge base for an in-depth conversation. They usually revert to insults and silly comments, which I do not care to spend my time on.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #8

[Replying to brunumb in post #5]

I was asked a question about the Bible and I answered it. That is all I did.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Purple Knight »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:54 amMen do not choose to become Christians they are chosen by God when he convicts them of their sin.
What the heck is it about then, when people want to be good people and it has nothing to do with God or Christianity or any other religion?
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:48 pm Why do so many Christians hate homosexuals?
They don't. They just (if they believe that bit in Leviticus) think the act is a sin. It happens to be a grossly unpopular opinion.

And you know what? With my supergenius brain, I hold more than one grossly unpopular opinion. Not that one in particular, but some.

And it's not as though Christians don't think everything is a sin anyway. Early Christians encouraged full-on chastity, but that wasn't exactly good for the religion. Some Christians today believe chastity is purer and less sinful than heterosexual sex. So I wonder why there's not a huge backlash against that.

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #10

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #9]
What the heck is it about then, when people want to be good people and it has nothing to do with God or Christianity or any other religion?
How are you defining "good"?

You only tell a few lies is that good. At what point does lying become not good.
You only have sex outside of marriage a few times is that good.

Are you still good if you do any of these things?
  • Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. Romans 1:26-32
Are you still good if you do any of these things?
  • Or do you not know that the unrighteous[a] will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Cor. 6:9-10

The Bible states that there is no one who is good.
  • Psalm 14:1
    The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt; their acts are vile. There is no one who does good.

• Psalm 53:1
    The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and vile in their ways; there is no one who does good.

What makes you think that you might be good.