Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Folks, sin, and the holy thing there

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 44, here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: Yea, I get it. You wanted your sin of choice whatever that might be. It will not make sense it will be a drive and desire to know Christ when the Holy Spirit convicts a person of their sin. The Holy Spirit has not convicted you of the sin in your life and He may never convict you of the sin in your life. But until that happens you cannot and you will not become a Chrisitan.
For debate:

What the heck is that all about, and can any of y'all put any truth to it.

Mostly the putting truth to it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Folks, sin, and the holy thing there

Post #21

Post by Clownboat »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:38 pm
William wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:16 pmPeople who are actually very very smart (I would know) don't want you to mindlessly copy them. They want you to find the answers within yourself. Even if initially this might involve pretending...
The best answer I can come to is that I'm not supposed to pretend, and that if I really believe otherwise, even if I'm wrong, even if I'm the fool, pretending to understand something I don't can't help me as far as being a better person, because if I'm pretending, I'm not really a better person.

It's like apologising when not knowing what you did wrong. It's one thing if you know you hurt somebody but don't quite know how, but another entirely if you have absolutely no clue what you did, and in that case, caving in when someone demands an apology undermines the meaning of an apology and it's not truthful or genuine - it is a lie.
Another point I have often considered. If there is a god (going with the Christian god concept in this case):

Would this god, perfer me to be a believer who believed because I wanted a heaven and did not want to go to hell, therefore I tried to be a good Christian man - or - prefer who I am now, still a good Christian man (granted I no longer habor disdain for those who believe other religions or homosexuals etc..) who no longer holds the reserrection beliefs.

Basically, one who is good for their own gain (heaven), or one who is good for goodness sake. I would think the latter would be preferred, yet according to the Bible, it's more important to believe in a blood sacrifice. The fact I'm still a good Christian man is second fiddle to the blood.

Seems a bit nonsensical doesn't it? Why would blood or the belief in it matter when determining where someone eternal soul should go?

Eph 1:7 We have Paul claiming: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace.
Let's contrast this with what it is claimed that Jesus taught:
Matt 6:14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you. (What, no blood?)

Rom 5:9 We have Paul claiming: Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
And now Jesus:
Matt 12:37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. (What, no blood?)
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

Purple Knight wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:38 pm
William wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:16 pmPeople who are actually very very smart (I would know) don't want you to mindlessly copy them. They want you to find the answers within yourself. Even if initially this might involve pretending...
The best answer I can come to is that I'm not supposed to pretend, and that if I really believe otherwise, even if I'm wrong, even if I'm the fool, pretending to understand something I don't can't help me as far as being a better person, because if I'm pretending, I'm not really a better person.
When I wrote "They want you to find the answers within yourself. Even if initially this might involve pretending..." how was I advocating you should not be a better person, or that you should lie to yourself?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Purple Knight »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:42 pmBasically, one who is good for their own gain (heaven), or one who is good for goodness sake. I would think the latter would be preferred, yet according to the Bible, it's more important to believe in a blood sacrifice. The fact I'm still a good Christian man is second fiddle to the blood.

Seems a bit nonsensical doesn't it? Why would blood or the belief in it matter when determining where someone eternal soul should go?
Either 1) it's nonsense 2) it's the highest concept of good which we're incapable of understanding or 3) the actual test is to reject the blood, say no, and go to Hell.

The only major concern is 2. So let's say there's this higher morality where I just can't presently understand that sacrifice is actually okay, but no problem, all I have to do is pretend I think it's okay, die, and turn into a spirit or be revived in the body, and then, all will be explained to me.

All I can say is that this is, firstly, outside of the scope of what we consider morality to be and why we have it. Most of us have it so we don't hurt other people and to adjudicate how to go about this goal fairly and wisely. It's about this life, because that's all we know. And this higher morality undermines that. Now it's okay to kill and hurt people because reasons and to punish people who did no wrong so those who did wrong can be excused. It would make living here really suck.

And secondly, this worldview renders us children. We're idiots who have no business living on our own because we are incapable of telling the difference between right (sacrifice and blood) and wrong (he who does wrong and none other should suffer). Children don't need books of nebulous rules; they need active guidance and trustworthy people they can ask questions of. If we stray it's hardly our fault. Fault requires we know what's right and don't do it, or know what's wrong and do it anyway.
William wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:46 pmWhen I wrote "They want you to find the answers within yourself. Even if initially this might involve pretending..." how was I advocating you should not be a better person, or that you should lie to yourself?
To me, suggesting I pretend to what I am not, is wrong in and of itself, so it can hardly help me forward toward being less wrong.

Maybe it turns out I'm not as smart as I think I am. I admit that as a possibility. But my own mind is still the best thing and most trustworthy thing I have, so I can't just throw up my hands and cry, "Everyone else knows best!" even if they do.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #23]
To me, suggesting I pretend to what I am not, is wrong in and of itself, so it can hardly help me forward toward being less wrong.
Unless you are wrong about that.

For example, someone may believe that they are simply chemicals reacting in a brain environment, because the evidence suggests to them that this is the case.
They may in fact be wrong about that, due to some bias attached to wanting to believe it is the case which in turn allows for them to interpret said evidence as 'being the case' actually.
Maybe it turns out I'm not as smart as I think I am. I admit that as a possibility. But my own mind is still the best thing and most trustworthy thing I have, so I can't just throw up my hands and cry, "Everyone else knows best!" even if they do.
Which I was advocating - in that I wrote that smart folk want you to find the answers within yourself. Even if initially this might involve pretending..."

So if you believed that you [the mind] were simply chemical processes in a brain environment, to 'snap out of that belief' may require you to pretend something else which isn't that, in order to see where that might lead...not 'dishonest' but ' a reasonable device for the job'.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:29 pmSo if you believed that you [the mind] were simply chemical processes in a brain environment, to 'snap out of that belief' may require you to pretend something else which isn't that, in order to see where that might lead...not 'dishonest' but ' a reasonable device for the job'.
I do a slightly different version of this which is giving everything the benefit of being true. I don't think the Bible is true but I treat it as if it is. I don't think there are mermaids but I treat the theory of mermaids diverging from aquatic apes as if it is true.

That doesn't change the fact that for some virtue X, pretending to that virtue when I do not in fact possess it, does not grant me that virtue, especially for the case of lying about what I believe.

Let's say faith in God is that virtue. I can treat some story about God as true and analyse it thoroughly for nuggets of wisdom, but that's not the same as belief, and it doesn't mean I have faith. I could go to church, pray, do whatever you like but it would all be disingenuous. If eventually I manage to brainwash myself into it, that's disingenuous too.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Goat »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:54 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

Christians only become Christians when the Holy Spirit convicts them of their sin. You are not convicted of your sin because the Holy Spirit has not convicted you.

John 15:16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will remain—so that whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you."

Men do not choose to become Christians they are chosen by God when he convicts them of their sin.
Those are interesting claims. However, there is one thing that has not been shown to exist, and that is 'the holy spirit' as described by Christianity. Personal testimony is not evidence, but rather the claim.

Do you have any evidence that you can SHOW me, rather than just pointing to some people making a claim.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #25]

This...
That doesn't change the fact that for some virtue X, pretending to that virtue when I do not in fact possess it, does not grant me that virtue, especially for the case of lying about what I believe.
...is the issue I am trying to point out to you. What you believe about who you are has not been established as fact so therein, even that you might believe you are simply chemical processes in a brain environment, the belief itself might be pretense - something pretended rather than know for sure.

tam
Savant

Post #28

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
EarthScienceguy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:54 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

Christians only become Christians when the Holy Spirit convicts them of their sin.

I know Joey is asking for more tangible evidence, but I would like to see the verse and/or words of Christ that state what you have said.

I googled it, but other than a theological explanation (lacking supporting verses for the specific claims about what it means to be 'convicted of sin'), the only verse I found was about holy spirit convicting the world of sin.

When he comes, he will prove (or convict) the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

I don't see anything in there which states a person can only become Christian when 'holy spirit' convicts them of their sin.

John 15:16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will remain—so that whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you."

Men do not choose to become Christians they are chosen by God

Well, chosen by Christ (who always does the will of His Father). Christ chooses who to anoint with holy spirit (making a person Christian).
when he convicts them of their sin.

But this last part seems to be something added on.

I can share my personal testimony that I was already Christian (having received holy spirit) though my Lord continued to show me truth about myself (including sins that I had committed, that I had previously thought were not so bad, or that I had blocked out because I did not want to think about what I had done... and things that were in me, that I needed to work on and try to overcome). Because of course Christ is and speaks the truth, only truth, and He promises to lead us into ALL truth, and that includes the truth about ourselves (not to be mean or anything, but because a: it is true and that is what He promises us, and b: so that we can see clearly, so that we can know what to repent of, to work on, to try and root out, to overcome, so that we can be on guard against that part of ourselves that could lead us to sin against others... say, if there was jealousy in us, or cowardice, or pride, etc). It is not easy - AT ALL - to learn the truth about oneself because we like to think we're 'not so bad'; but then, training/refinement is not meant to be easy so that the end produce is something good, useful.

But it was about love for me, not fear - love that Christ gave His life for me (He and His Father loved me first), love for Him and His Father (again who loved me first), and the desire to serve Christ and His Father, in truth, out of love.

(edited to add: I did know that I was a sinner before I became Christian. Sin = wrongdoing/error. Perhaps that is all that you mean? And I suppose if a person does not think that they have ever sinned, or that the wages of sin is death, then that person would have no reason to believe in or be grateful for the One who came to save us from death and to forgive sins. As Christ said, it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. Perhaps that is all you meant as well? That being said, there are also people who simply do not believe, but who still have the requirements of the law - love - written upon their hearts naturally. Romans 2:13-16. That doesn't mean those people do not sin, but it also doesn't mean that 'wanting to keep sinning' is THE reason they do not believe in God or Christ.)

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Last edited by tam on Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:42 pm ...is the issue I am trying to point out to you. What you believe about who you are has not been established as fact so therein, even that you might believe you are simply chemical processes in a brain environment, the belief itself might be pretense - something pretended rather than know for sure.
I don't know I don't have a soul... for sure.

I do know I'm not a good person for sure (as sure as is humanly possible to know something) because no one has ever seen me as virtuous, even when I'm trying my best.

I said this in a post to Holmes on atheism. And it addresses much the same thing. There are people who believe yes (theists) people who believe no (atheists) and people who believe maybe (agnostics) but the trouble is, maybe is a spectrum and if you're intelligent it covers everything.

So how certain am I on a scale of 0 (so little likely that it might as well be zero) to let's say 20 (as sure as I can be) that mermaids don't exist? Eh, that's about an 18. I'm pretty sure. That they never existed? I'll drop that down to 16.

I Exist: 20
The Earth is a Sphere: 19
Mermaids Don't Exist Now: 18
Mermaids never existed: 16
The Universe Isn't a Simulation: 13
Thylacines are Extinct: 7
Gods Exist: 4
The God of the Chosen People Exists: 2
I'm a Good Person: 0

William
Savant

Post #30

Post by William »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:20 pm
William wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:42 pm ...is the issue I am trying to point out to you. What you believe about who you are has not been established as fact so therein, even that you might believe you are simply chemical processes in a brain environment, the belief itself might be pretense - something pretended rather than know for sure.
I don't know I don't have a soul... for sure.

I do know I'm not a good person for sure (as sure as is humanly possible to know something) because no one has ever seen me as virtuous, even when I'm trying my best.

I said this in a post to Holmes on atheism. And it addresses much the same thing. There are people who believe yes (theists) people who believe no (atheists) and people who believe maybe (agnostics) but the trouble is, maybe is a spectrum and if you're intelligent it covers everything.

So how certain am I on a scale of 0 (so little likely that it might as well be zero) to let's say 20 (as sure as I can be) that mermaids don't exist? Eh, that's about an 18. I'm pretty sure. That they never existed? I'll drop that down to 16.

I Exist: 20
The Earth is a Sphere: 19
Mermaids Don't Exist Now: 18
Mermaids never existed: 16
The Universe Isn't a Simulation: 13
Thylacines are Extinct: 7
Gods Exist: 4
The God of the Chosen People Exists: 2
I'm a Good Person: 0
Okay

What's your rating re:

"I am chemical processes in a brain environment"