Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Folks, sin, and the holy thing there

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 44, here:
EarthScienceguy wrote: Yea, I get it. You wanted your sin of choice whatever that might be. It will not make sense it will be a drive and desire to know Christ when the Holy Spirit convicts a person of their sin. The Holy Spirit has not convicted you of the sin in your life and He may never convict you of the sin in your life. But until that happens you cannot and you will not become a Chrisitan.
For debate:

What the heck is that all about, and can any of y'all put any truth to it.

Mostly the putting truth to it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Folks, sin, and the holy thing there

Post #91

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:31 am
EarthScienceguy wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:06 am [Replying to Tcg in post #81]
I think all kinds of meanings in life transcend your self. They're linked to other generations of people around us, to our children and our family. We're passing on something of ourselves to others. I feel that's what makes our life full of meaning.

- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Why would this be meaningful to him?
He explains it clearly. People. If you need more details I'd suggest you read his works.

Tcg
When one can only find meaning through imaginary entities, logic ain't gonna fix it.
-Punkinhead Martin

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #92

Post by EarthScienceguy »

He explains it clearly. People. If you need more details I'd suggest you read his works.
It really does not matter how he tries to explain himself in selfless terms. In the end behavior, psychology tells us that he is doing what he is doing for selfish reasons.

Tcg
Savant

Post #93

Post by Tcg »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:40 am

It really does not matter how he tries to explain himself in selfless terms. In the end behavior, psychology tells us that he is doing what he is doing for selfish reasons.
That's an interesting claim. Totally unsupported, but interesting. In any case, the quote from Dr. Yalom proves that atheism does not lead to meaninglessness. The claim that it does has been defeated. Dr. Yalom's motivations, which of course are honorable, are irrelevant to this reality about atheism.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #94

[Replying to Tcg in post #93]
That's an interesting claim. Totally unsupported, but interesting. In any case, the quote from Dr. Yalom proves that atheism does not lead to meaninglessness. The claim that it does has been defeated. Dr. Yalom's motivations, which of course are honorable, are irrelevant to this reality about atheism.
Which part is unsupported? The part about how modern psychology tells us how we make decisions, that part. Or the part that you are making up your own psychology because you do not like reality.

Tcg
Savant

Post #95

Post by Tcg »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:21 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #93]
Which part is unsupported? The part about how modern psychology tells us how we make decisions, that part. Or the part that you are making up your own psychology because you do not like reality.
Now you are addressing my psychology? Please explain its relevance to the subject at hand which is the fact that the claim that atheism leads to meaninglessness is false.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

EarthScienceguy
Guru

Post #96

[Replying to Tcg in post #95]

I think all kinds of meanings in life transcend yourself. They're linked to other generations of people around us, to our children and our family. We're passing on something of ourselves to others. I feel that's what makes our life full of meaning.

- Irvin D. Yalom, MD
He says that the meaning of life transcends yourself. What are you passing on to others that would be so great?

Is he helping others stay out of homosexuality or transgenderism?
Is he helping people not have abortions?
Is he helping them stay pure before they are married?

This is what the Bible says would be a good thing to pass on to other generations.

So what is he passing on that is so great and what makes you think that it is so great?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #97

Post by JoeyKnothead »

EarthScienceguy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:34 am ...
Is he helping others stay out of homosexuality or transgenderism?
It's the policy of my household to stone us every gay who steps foot on our property.
Is he helping people not have abortions?
All them hens that know me are clear on this'n - I'll be deciding me what decisions need to be made about their health.
Is he helping them stay pure before they are married?
Only their preacher's allowed to sex em up before their future spouse gets em a chance.
This is what the Bible says would be a good thing to pass on to other generations.
You just can't fathom the shame I felt when I found out little Jimmy there was wearing him a poly-cotton blend t-shirt.
So what is he passing on that is so great and what makes you think that it is so great?
I hope he's passing on the importance of being a religious busy body.

We don't need us no heathens round these here parts.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #98

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #97]
It's the policy of my household to stone us every gay who steps foot on our property.
I take it Marijuana is legal in your state bro...

William
Savant

Post #99

Post by William »

All them hens that know me are clear on this'n - I'll be deciding me what decisions need to be made about their health.
Fried, pouched, scrambled, raw et al...

William
Savant

Post #100

Post by William »

Only their preacher's allowed to sex em up before their future spouse gets em a chance.
Us kids.....