Difference between a god (including God) and...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Difference between a god (including God) and...

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Most believe gods (including your God) are immortal 'beings' that have existed 'forever' (even though that isn't a concept humanity can fully grasp, which I find amusing but that's something for another time), created most, if not, everything, and is in control (in a sense) of everything (even things humanity doesn't know about - again: amusing :D ). Some gods have the power to grant immortality in a special, good place (ie heaven) or punish in a bad place (ie hell), etc (though this isn't a complete list as what gods are and can do can (and does often) vary from culture to culture, location to location, time to time and even person to person).

For discussion:
So what's the difference between a god and a superior, mortal being (or society of beings) that is more advanced than humanity to you?
How does this play into your belief (or non-belief) in your life? Or does it not matter?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Difference between a god (including God) and...

Post #11

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:14 am So what's the difference between a god and a superior, mortal being (or society of beings) that is more advanced than humanity to you?
This is what I would like to bloody know!

What makes the God of the Bible worthy of worship and Q from Star Trek not?

Sometimes I'm supposed to do what this immensely unimaginably powerful being wants because, what, powerful?

And sometimes not?

Is it because Q doesn't have a beard???!!!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #12

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:09 pm
I wonder how one would make this differentiation if a supreme lifeform impersonated this creator with all the bells and whistles.
Or maybe that's already been done?
There's no supreme creator around that we can ask and verify outside our own minds, wants, needs and beliefs.
Is that a rhetorical question or would you like my bible based answer? I ask because you addressed your post to me.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:07 pm According to the bible * there is only one Almighty Supreme ruler and Creator of the universe : YHWH unequalled by anyone . Since I believe in this One, it means I choose to worship Him and obey His commands.
I'd actually like to disentangle this for a couple of scenarios.

Scenario 1: A childlike being created our universe on a whim and made many mistakes. Its more powerful and caring father is stepping in to attempt to correct them, because now this universe is filled with sentient beings that can't just be discarded.
Where does the worship rightly go? Nowhere, as in, does it fall apart if one being is not both supreme and creator?

Scenario 2: A supreme being created our universe, but either does not care for humanity at all or only allowed humanity to torture us as a whim. A lesser but caring being is attempting to help humanity.
Where does the worship rightly go? Does it fall apart?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:23 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:07 pm According to the bible * there is only one Almighty Supreme ruler and Creator of the universe : YHWH unequalled by anyone . Since I believe in this One, it means I choose to worship Him and obey His commands.
I'd actually like to disentangle this for a couple of scenarios.

Scenario 1: A childlike being created our universe on a whim and made many mistakes. Its more powerful and caring father is stepping in to attempt to correct them, because now this universe is filled with sentient beings that can't just be discarded.
Where does the worship rightly go?

Anyone that created life (especially life as it is on this planet) has by virtue of that alone the right in my opinion, to be worshipped. Just as any father that put a roof over your head and food on the family table, has the right to demand respect in his own home. If, despite his provisions (perhaps because of his behaviour) the Father proves unworthy of respect, the family can simply pick up and leave.

Anyone that feels The Creator of life is unworthy of respect can simply give the life back to Him and go about his or her business (without life).

JW

RELATED POSTS

Does God force his creation to love him?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 67#p844367

Do we have to worship God just because he made us?
viewtopic.php?p=1072969#p1072969

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LIFE, HUMAN SUFFERING and ...THE PURPOSE OF LIFE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #15

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:15 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:09 pm
I wonder how one would make this differentiation if a supreme lifeform impersonated this creator with all the bells and whistles.
Or maybe that's already been done?
There's no supreme creator around that we can ask and verify outside our own minds, wants, needs and beliefs.
Is that a rhetorical question or would you like my bible based answer? I ask because you addressed your post to me.
I think any answer would be helpful. If you want to make it Bible -based that is up to you. But I have to try to save your time and ours - the claim that The God of the Jews repackaged to make it the god of Not the Jews, is the creator of everything just because the Bible says so will not do.

It's fun to have a few Hollywood productions with God in human form and making some smart remarks and doing a few magic tricks. But that's the point. How could you tell that from a crafty Flying -saucer pilot that could keep you fooled long enough to have you kissing its' boots? That's the problem when you operate on Selective Faith rather than by rationality.

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:31 pm
Anyone that created life (especially life as it is on this planet) has by virtue of that alone the right in my opinion, to be worshipped.
Now all you have to do is document that such an event ever happened.

Anyone that feels The Creator of life is unworthy of respect can simply give the life back to Him and go about his or her business.
What on earth does that mean and how would one accomplish such a task?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:38 pm ...the claim that The God of the Jews repackaged to make it the god of Not the Jews, is the creator of everything just because the Bible says so will not do.
Are you suggesting I have made that or any claim ?
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:07 pm
FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #18

Tcg wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:40 pm
Anyone that created life (especially life as it is on this planet) has by virtue of that alone the right in my opinion, to be worshipped.
Why? did I make any claim that it happened?
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:07 pm
FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
If anything my statement there was a supposition...
[ * ]I usually use conditionals ( ... or suppositions, hypothesis etc ) when discussing God in this subforum in order to respect forum guidelines while also avoiding making any absolute claims in this regard.This hopefully avoids being sidetracked by challenges to prove God's existence when that is not the point of discussion.

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:43 pm
Tcg wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:40 pm
Who? did I make any claim that it happened?
I responded to your claim just as it was written. If you can't document it, I understand.

If anything my statement there was a supposition...
You're not sure if it was or not?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

I made no claim. Did you not read what I stated ...?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.