Right for life - can you have it both ways?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Right for life - can you have it both ways?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Typically, christians don't approve of abortion, citing the 'preciousness of life', among other things.
Do these same christians oppose the death penalty? Should they?

For discussion:
Is it hypocritical to oppose abortion but support the death penalty? Or, like all things christian, you simply ignore one aspect of this faith while holding on tight to another to support your POV?
Is the 'abortion vs. death penalty' thinking (abortion = bad death penalty = good) nothing more than a male dominated religion further suppressing women? Maybe this helps understand why god's considered male and not female?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Right for life - can you have it both ways?

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #10]
Online.
Can you elaborate on this 'online' location specifically? It appears different than the online definition I found on Merium Webster.
....the answer would still have to be 'no, it is not'.
Why? If one feels/believes/thinks 'all life is precious', how can they absolve the issue with killing another life?

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #11]
the answer would still have to be 'no, it is not'.
Why? If one feels/believes/thinks 'all life is precious', how can they absolve the issue with killing another life?
Because it is not just about all life being precious. It is also about the guilty and the innocent.

Guilty life is less precious than innocent life.

Therefore, not all life is equally precious.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:01 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #11]
the answer would still have to be 'no, it is not'.
Because it is not just about all life being precious. It is also about the guilty and the innocent.

Guilty life is less precious than innocent life.

Therefore, not all life is equally precious.
Less precious doesn't mean not precious.
Even with this explanation (which I've never once heard a pro-lifer make), it still appears hypocritical
It appears it's an excuse to control and doing 'what we think is best' under the guise of 'caring' and 'love'.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Difflugia »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:01 pmIf one feels/believes/thinks 'all life is precious', how can they absolve the issue with killing another life?
In practice, it often works out to blaming the victim. They "did it to themselves" or "gave up their right to life."
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

brunumb
Savant

Post #15

Post by brunumb »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:18 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:01 pmIf one feels/believes/thinks 'all life is precious', how can they absolve the issue with killing another life?
In practice, it often works out to blaming the victim. They "did it to themselves" or "gave up their right to life."
Is that along the lines of "God doesn't send you to hell, you choose to go to hell"?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Difflugia »

brunumb wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:49 pmIs that along the lines of "God doesn't send you to hell, you choose to go to hell"?
You know, that didn't even occur to me when I wrote that. I must be slipping.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:49 pm
Is that along the lines of "God doesn't send you to hell, you choose to go to hell"?
I can't imagine anybody choosing to go to hell. If God truly wanted to give us a choice, there should be a heaven where God lives and another heaven where he doesn't. Those who want to hang with God can go to the former, and those who don't can choose the other.

Better yet, let us try each one out for awhile and then decide. No need to rush. We'd have forever. Of course this may lead to the oft repeated line about "any place God isn't would be hell." Well, if God wants to give us a choice, let us check it out and see. If it turns out to be true, let us switch reservations.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #18

Post by brunumb »

Tcg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:59 pm Better yet, let us try each one out for awhile and then decide. No need to rush. We'd have forever. Of course this may lead to the oft repeated line about "any place God isn't would be hell." Well, if God wants to give us a choice, let us check it out and see. If it turns out to be true, let us switch reservations.
I'm not sure that God's ego would cope with people choosing the heaven that didn't have him in it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by nobspeople »

I can see how one would see it that way, but to me, it still doesn't excuse the hypocriticalness of it all :shock:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:59 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:49 pm
I can't imagine anybody choosing to go to hell. If God truly wanted to give us a choice, there should be a heaven where God lives and another heaven where he doesn't. Those who want to hang with God can go to the former, and those who don't can choose the other.

Better yet, let us try each one out for awhile and then decide. No need to rush. We'd have forever. Of course this may lead to the oft repeated line about "any place God isn't would be hell." Well, if God wants to give us a choice, let us check it out and see. If it turns out to be true, let us switch reservations.

Tcg
God only wants a choice that picks god. Otherwise, 'ta' hell with ya'!'
It's amazing to me that people can see a god that allows for people to spend eternity in hell (based on some beliefs), when it could have very well eliminated 'eternal hell', as good.
That's not thinking to me. It's regurgitation of a doctrine of fear and guilt. Nothing else.