One thing

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

One thing

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

There are many thing one should know about christianity - some more important than others.

This thread is for both, believers and non. And it's two fold.

For discussion:
1)
What is the ONE (and only 1) thing everyone should know about christianity?
And why?
Is this 'one thing' your opinion or an actual fact?

2) Is this one (1) thing agreeable among all believers (for said believers)?
Is this one (1) thing agreeable among all non-believers?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: One thing

Post #61

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #59]
I didn't come to that number, you asked about that number and I answered.
Yes you answered with a number. I'm wondering where that number came from in your mind.
If you say so.
Just callin' it as I see it :approve:
I read this as, "I don't really give what you say enough credit or consideration to be upset about it." Is that fair?
I can't help 'how you read it'. I simply said I won't give you any flack for saying what you said there. You're familiar with the phrase 'consider the source', no? Maybe the phrase 'expect the unexpected' would be better for you?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #62

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:36 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

That it is an expression of Theism.
And why?
Because Christians are theists.
Is this one (1) thing agreeable among all believers (for said believers)?
Yes.
Yes.
What would those answers to the 'yes's' be?

Tcg
Savant

Post #63

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:36 pm
Correction - Some Christians are theists. I've met Christians that are atheists. All one has to do to be a Christian is to follow what one believes to be the teaching of Jesus Christ. That doesn't need to include the concept that Jesus was/is a God or even that there is/are a god/gods.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 am
Correction - Some Christians are theists. I've met Christians that are atheists. All one has to do to be a Christian is to follow what one believes to be the teaching of Jesus Christ. That doesn't need to include the concept that Jesus was/is a God or even that there is/are a god/gods.

Tcg
Interesting point. I suppose it depends on how one defines, in this case, christianity, among other things. I would wonder about someone who claims to be a christian but doesn't believe in any god, even with your provided explanation. Unless they claim jesus was no god, just a really good guy...
Not that this matters to anyone other than me, though :D

Tcg
Savant

Post #65

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:32 am

Tcg
Interesting point. I suppose it depends on how one defines, in this case, christianity, among other things. I would wonder about someone who claims to be a christian but doesn't believe in any god, even with your provided explanation. Unless they claim jesus was no god, just a really good guy...
Well, that is close to what they believed. They felt that Jesus, or rather the Jesus presented in the Bible, was/is a good role model or example for humans to follow. I found it a bit inconsistent in that the Jesus of the Bible talked about very violent actions in the future. But, they edited those out of their conception of Jesus and chalked those up to ancient attitudes that are now outdated. As most do who follow Jesus, they to some degree crafted their own Jesus by accepting what they liked and rejecting what they didn't. His belief in God was simply another of the teachings of the Bible Jesus they rejected.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #66

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:09 am

Tcg
Well, that is close to what they believed. They felt that Jesus, or rather the Jesus presented in the Bible, was/is a good role model or example for humans to follow. I found it a bit inconsistent in that the Jesus of the Bible talked about very violent actions in the future. But, they edited those out of their conception of Jesus and chalked those up to ancient attitudes that are now outdated. As most do who follow Jesus, they to some degree crafted their own Jesus by accepting what they liked and rejecting what they didn't. His belief in God was simply another of the teachings of the Bible Jesus they rejected.

Tcg
When it's all said and done, what others think of their beliefs only matter to those other people

Tcg
Savant

Post #67

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:22 am

Tcg

Tcg
When it's all said and done, what others think of their beliefs only matter to those other people
I actually have great respect for their beliefs. They've done a great job of refining Bible Jesus' teachings to a much more palatable guide to live by, but that wouldn't matter much to them. They are strong in their convictions and comfortable with their conclusions. They do however remain open to any input that could enhance their understanding and approach to life. Not all religious approaches allow room for that.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #68

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:41 am

Tcg

Tcg
I actually have great respect for their beliefs. They've done a great job of refining Bible Jesus' teachings to a much more palatable guide to live by, but that wouldn't matter much to them. They are strong in their convictions and comfortable with their conclusions. They do however remain open to any input that could enhance their understanding and approach to life. Not all religious approaches allow room for that.

Tcg
Many have refined such teachings, to varying degrees of success. It's something we should all look into if interesting IMO.

Tcg
Savant

Post #69

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:02 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:41 am

Tcg

Tcg

Tcg
Many have refined such teachings, to varying degrees of success. It's something we should all look into if interesting IMO.
Yes, and this is why it makes it difficult if not impossible to state that Christians are any one thing. Of course, that wasn't what your query asked, but rather what is one thing everyone should know about Christianity. The answer given that "Christians are theists" is not valid given that not all Christians are theists.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #70

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:28 am
William wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:36 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

That it is an expression of Theism.
And why?
Is this one (1) thing agreeable among all believers (for said believers)?
Yes.
Yes.
What would those answers to the 'yes's' be?
"Yes" we believers are theists and "Yes" those folk are theists.