One thing

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

One thing

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

There are many thing one should know about christianity - some more important than others.

This thread is for both, believers and non. And it's two fold.

For discussion:
1)
What is the ONE (and only 1) thing everyone should know about christianity?
And why?
Is this 'one thing' your opinion or an actual fact?

2) Is this one (1) thing agreeable among all believers (for said believers)?
Is this one (1) thing agreeable among all non-believers?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Re: One thing

Post #81

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #79]
I suppose there are some who identify as Christian for some reason even if they don't believe in any gods.
[Replying to Tcg in post #80]
Perhaps Jesus had a hidden agenda to speak as if he believed in God when he didn't or perhaps those who claimed to write down his words added claims of God for their own agenda.
theism

belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.

If any pretending is [perhaps] going on, then the ones pretending cannot be defined as theists.

They are thus, non-theists pretending to be theists.

Tcg
Savant

Post #82

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:55 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #79]
I suppose there are some who identify as Christian for some reason even if they don't believe in any gods.
Perhaps Jesus had a hidden agenda to speak as if he believed in God when he didn't or perhaps those who claimed to write down his words added claims of God for their own agenda.
theism

belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.

If any pretending is [perhaps] going on, then the ones pretending cannot be defined as theists.

The Christians I have described are not pretending to be anything. They are unashamedly atheists who also happen to be Christians.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #83

Post by William »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:02 pm
theism

The Christians I have described are not pretending to be anything. They are unashamedly atheists who also happen to be Christians.

Tcg
That may be what they tell you. They may even tell you that they don't believe that Jesus was a theist. They may tell you that they believe that being a Christian means being a non-theist.

In what way have they supported their claims to you, that you believe what they tell you is the truth?

Tcg
Savant

Post #84

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:05 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:02 pm
theism

Tcg
That may be what they tell you. They may even tell you that they don't believe that Jesus was a theist. They may tell you that they believe that being a Christian means being a non-theist.

In what way have they supported their claims to you, that you believe what they tell you is the truth?
Oh, they believe that Jesus was a theist. That doesn't make them theists.

They've supported their claims by lacking belief in god/gods and by being Christians.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #85

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #84]

They sound interesting. However, since we are given no access to the data you speak of, your claims here are unsupported.

I would very much like to interact with such folk and learn why they believe that they can call themselves Christians while remaining non-theists.

Tcg
Savant

Post #86

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:42 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #84]

They sound interesting. However, since we are given no access to the data you speak of, your claims here are unsupported.

I would very much like to interact with such folk and learn why they believe that they can call themselves Christians while remaining non-theists.
They don't simply call themselves Christians, they are Christians.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #87

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #86]

Are you a Christian?
Yes - so you say. I am under the impression that any claims made in a debate setting require supporting evidence.

Tcg
Savant

Post #88

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:43 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #86]

Are you a Christian?
Yes - so you say. I am under the impression that any claims made in a debate setting require supporting evidence.
My testimony is the evidence. One can accept it or reject it. It remains evidence none the less just as they remain both atheists and Christians.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #89

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #88]

In that case, I can reject your argument based upon its lack of supporting evidence.

Tcg
Savant

Post #90

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:43 pm
Are you a Christian?
Somehow, I overlooked this question. Anyone who has read my posts over the last few years would know the answer to this question. More importantly, it is totally irrelevant. I've never claimed that all atheists are Christians so whether I am one or not has no bearing on the fact that some atheists are Christians.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom