Inherited sin

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Inherited sin

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Rather or not it's correct to be taught, inherited sin (my term, describing how humanity all have sin based on the failure of Adam and Eve) is taught in various sects' churches in christianity.

For discussion:
For those that believe in inherited sin, how is this justified?
How does this make sense?
How is this fair?
Or is nothing 'fair' in light of the almighty's righteousness and glory?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Inherited sin

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

As one of the Hellbound satanspawn, I predict we'll end up (after some weak attempts to make this Justified) with 'God can do as he likes' - the ultimate in Divine dictatorship.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:48 pm ...
How is this fair?
I have understood sin is to reject God, or to be apart from God. Adam and Eve rejected God and were expelled to this “life”. Because of that, we are born in separation from God, in sinful state. I don’t think it is unfair or a problem, because God has given a way back to Him for those who want that.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

If God has any kind of morality that we would recognise as morality, the Sin should have ended with Adam and Eve. There would have been no need for a loophole in the Rule He made himself.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:17 pm If God has any kind of morality that we would recognise as morality, the Sin should have ended with Adam and Eve. There would have been no need for a loophole in the Rule He made himself.
The only 'need' would be to get people to accept it as true, as far as I can see. I wonder how often god (if it exists) rolls its eyes at all the beliefs people have on it that are flat out stupid.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:50 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:48 pm ...
How is this fair?
I have understood sin is to reject God, or to be apart from God.
Okay.

Adam and Eve rejected God and were expelled to this “life”.
But A&E never rejected god. They simply got snookered by a deceiving snake, whereupon god saw fit to punish all mankind for their naivety.

Because of that, we are born in separation from God, in sinful state.
So, do you think that's just? Should grandchildren be punished for a wrong their grandparents committed when they were kids?

I don’t think it is unfair or a problem, because God has given a way back to Him for those who want that.
And you feel such punishment is fair? That it's right that everyone will end up in hell unless they play his game. A game he didn't invent for what, 6,000 or 7,000 years? And even then a game he has failed to share with everyone. As the Bible has described god, IMO he's pretty much a dictatorial thug who demands to be worshiped and venerated OR ELSE. An incompetent god who not only regretted having made man in the first place. See Genesis 6:6. , but when attempting to rectify his mistake, failed at that as well.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Even atheists I have discussed this point with admit nobody's perfect. This seems self evident since everyone makes mistakes. Being imperfect/sinful is biblically the name for what others call "nobody 's perfect.

The bible simply offers an explanation of how "nobody's perfect" came about.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #8

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:39 am The bible simply offers an explanation of how "nobody's perfect" came about.
The theory of evolution does a far better job of it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:39 amThe bible simply offers an explanation of how "nobody's perfect" came about.
The same story also explains why people are ashamed of being naked, snakes don't have legs, raspberry bushes have thorns, and men are in charge of women. It's the ancient Near East equivalent to the story of Pandora's box.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brunumb wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:07 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:39 am The bible simply offers an explanation of how "nobody's perfect" came about.
The theory of evolution does a far better job of it.
Fine!

I cant say I've ever read the evolutionary justification for the imperfect human condition but if such justification exists and that justification makes sense and is fair, excellent. Since I haven't heard how imperfection ("nobody's perfect ie. Everyone is imperfect) is justified by évolution I cannot comment on that.

I suspect most people that believe in evolution conclude, it might not be fair but that's just the way the cookie crumbles: may the fittest survive!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8