So unlike your christ

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

So unlike your christ

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Maybe he was on to something, eh?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans-th ... 54879.html

From the article:
When asked, "What characteristics do you associate with Christians in general?" the nonreligious selected these words from the poll's options – "hypocritical" (55%), "judgmental" (54%) and "self-righteous" (50%). Next up: "arrogant," "unforgiving" and "disrespectful."...Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Michael Curry said it was encouraging that "Americans still find Jesus compelling." However, it's obvious the "behavior of many of his followers is a problem, and it's not just certain Christians: It's all Christians." Thus, he added, Episcopalians are "refocusing our efforts on being a church that looks and acts like Jesus."

I find this to be overwhelmingly true. After coming here, my disdain for christians has increased more than I care to admit.
Fortunately, the christians I know are like many that post here and, based on the article, are out in the world today.

For discussion:
Is this your experience?
Why or why not?
Do you think today's christians are more or less like that christ guy?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: So unlike your christ

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Mahatma Gandhi was a pacifist who practiced non-violent resistance. Jesus reportedly explained the Parable of the weeds this way:
Matthew 13:36 Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples came to him, saying, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field.” 37 He answered, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. 38 The field is the world, and the good seed is the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. 40 Just as the weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, 42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
This causes me to wonder how much Gandhi knew about the Christ as reported in the Bible.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:57 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Mahatma Gandhi was a pacifist who practiced non-violent resistance. Jesus reportedly explained the Parable of the weeds this way:
Matthew 13:36 Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples came to him, saying, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field.” 37 He answered, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. 38 The field is the world, and the good seed is the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. 40 Just as the weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, 42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
This causes me to wonder how much Gandhi knew about the Christ as reported in the Bible.

Tcg
Maybe christo was on to something: violence seems to create more attention than peacefulness. A lot of attention get paid to wars, murders, rapes, etc than it does to feeding the needy, peace and the like.
That's not to say it's not said jesus did those things as well. But which gets more attention to the masses?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:02 pm “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

Maybe he was on to something, eh?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americans-th ... 54879.html

From the article:
When asked, "What characteristics do you associate with Christians in general?" the nonreligious selected these words from the poll's options – "hypocritical" (55%), "judgmental" (54%) and "self-righteous" (50%). Next up: "arrogant," "unforgiving" and "disrespectful."...Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Michael Curry said it was encouraging that "Americans still find Jesus compelling." However, it's obvious the "behavior of many of his followers is a problem, and it's not just certain Christians: It's all Christians." Thus, he added, Episcopalians are "refocusing our efforts on being a church that looks and acts like Jesus."

I find this to be overwhelmingly true. After coming here, my disdain for christians has increased more than I care to admit.
Fortunately, the christians I know are like many that post here and, based on the article, are out in the world today.

For discussion:
Is this your experience?
Why or why not?
Do you think today's christians are more or less like that christ guy?
The focus is more on the Christians, instead of on the Christ.

That is the problem.

Next.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!