Bible Contraction #2 God needs to rest or not? (Isaiah 40:28 vs Exodus 31:17)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Bible Contraction #2 God needs to rest or not? (Isaiah 40:28 vs Exodus 31:17)

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

benchwarmer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:05 pm
#2 God needs to rest or not? (Isaiah 40:28 vs Exodus 31:17)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NRSV
Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NRSV
It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.”
Does God need to rest or not?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Miles
Savant

Re: Bible Contraction #2 God needs to rest or not? (Isaiah 40:28 vs Exodus 31:17)

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Of course god is a contradiction. He is a loving god and a hateful god. He is a fair god and a biased god. He is a just god and an unjust god That way his character and attributes can be cherry-picked so as to fit whatever kind of god is needed. Need a strong, tireless god who doesn't faint or grow weary? Then select Isaiah 40:28 to describe him. Need a god with more human-like attributes, such as needing to rest after working in order to feel refreshed? Then pick Exodus 31:17. And this is what's so appealing about Christianity, it can be fashioned into whatever kind of religion one needs, with any of your choices supported by chapter and verse---as long as one ignores those verses that contradict your pick. And talk about being successful! It's been estimated that more than 45,000 Christian denominations exist globally.* All reading the Bible a bit differently so as to support the specific needs of their denomination.

* source

Wootah
Savant

Re: Bible Contraction #2 God needs to rest or not? (Isaiah 40:28 vs Exodus 31:17)

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

Miles wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:37 pm .

Of course god is a contradiction. He is a loving god and a hateful god. He is a fair god and a biased god. He is a just god and an unjust god That way his character and attributes can be cherry-picked so as to fit whatever kind of god is needed. Need a strong, tireless god who doesn't faint or grow weary? Then select Isaiah 40:28 to describe him. Need a god with more human-like attributes, such as needing to rest after working in order to feel refreshed? Then pick Exodus 31:17. And this is what's so appealing about Christianity, it can be fashioned into whatever kind of religion one needs, with any of your choices supported by chapter and verse---as long as one ignores those verses that contradict your pick. And talk about being successful! It's been estimated that more than 45,000 Christian denominations exist globally.* All reading the Bible a bit differently so as to support the specific needs of their denomination.

* source

It's a bit trickier than that. Jesus is the logos after all. What I mean, by way of example, is that Jesus is the ideal king but Jesus is also the ideal servant.

--
Anyway since you wrote: He is a loving god and a hateful god.

How is that a contradiction? To love is to hate. If I love my children, then I will hate anything that wants to hurt them.
--
Anyway since you wrote: He is a fair god and a biased god.

How is that a contradiction? Legalally he is unbiased, as the law should be, in non legal areas as a father he loves his children.

--

You wrote: He is a just god and an unjust god

Where is that? What are you referring to?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:37 pm .

* source

To say the least.
But as we've seen (a lot), it doesn't matter; believers will ALWAYS find a way around something to justify their POV. It's easy to do when:
1) their god has nothing in which to compare it
2) their bible is a book written by men long ago and edited in such a way that it's just about as ambiguous as it can be
3) believers change definition of words to suit their own chosen lifestyle agenda &
4) believers don't care because FAITH
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:54 pm ...
No, He don't need to rest, because "He does not faint or grow weary". It is interesting how so simple matter can be so very difficult for some.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #6

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:43 pm
Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:54 pm ...
No, He don't need to rest, because "He does not faint or grow weary". It is interesting how so simple matter can be so very difficult for some.
Indeed, simply taking what's written at face value seems difficult for some. How can God "be refreshed" by resting if He never grows weary? Let me guess, even though he can't faint or grow weary, he can decide to take an unnecessary break and be 'refreshed' even though the very word means to become fresh again (implying some freshness was lost). The contradiction is NOT that God might take a break every now and then, it's the fact that He managed to 'refresh' Himself. The obvious question would be "refresh Himself from what state if He can never grow tired?"

We can play word games all day, but the point is the Bible has plenty of contradictions upon plain reading. Rather than admit that various documents written at different times by different authors having different motives will contain errors and contradictions, we get the wonderful field of 'apologetics'.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Wootah wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:35 pm
You wrote: He is a just god and an unjust god

Where is that? What are you referring to?
Keeping in mind that "just" typically means fair and impartial

The just side of god: He takes vengeance upon those who deserve it.

Romans 12:19
Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

The unjust side of god:
He orders innocent women, children, and babies to be killed. Plus all their livestock.

1 Samuel 15:3
Now go fight against the Amalekites. You must completely destroy the Amalekites and everything that belongs to them. Don’t let anything live; you must kill all the men and women and all of their children and little babies. You must kill all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkeys.’”

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

It's an easy one for Bible apologists. He doesn't go and lie down to recover on the 7th day; He merely stops because He is done. I look for tougher contradictions than that.

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:57 pm ...The contradiction is NOT that God might take a break every now and then, it's the fact that He managed to 'refresh' Himself. The obvious question would be "refresh Himself from what state if He can never grow tired?"
Interesting, when I looked what others have said about this, first thing I found was this:

This shouldn’t be too hard for Zawadi to comprehend since the word refreshed is even used in a similar way in the English. One can speak of being refreshed in the sense of restoring one’s physical energies or in the sense of being delighted. For instance, if a person were to say that his heart was refreshed then the obvious meaning would be that the person was glad and joyful, not that he was physically restored.
https://www.answering-islam.org/Respons ... reshed.htm

What do you think about that?

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #10

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:25 pm
benchwarmer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:57 pm ...The contradiction is NOT that God might take a break every now and then, it's the fact that He managed to 'refresh' Himself. The obvious question would be "refresh Himself from what state if He can never grow tired?"
Interesting, when I looked what others have said about this, first thing I found was this:

This shouldn’t be too hard for Zawadi to comprehend since the word refreshed is even used in a similar way in the English. One can speak of being refreshed in the sense of restoring one’s physical energies or in the sense of being delighted. For instance, if a person were to say that his heart was refreshed then the obvious meaning would be that the person was glad and joyful, not that he was physically restored.
https://www.answering-islam.org/Respons ... reshed.htm

What do you think about that?
I think this is playing word games. I can play them too if you like, but it get's us nowhere.

Let's take "He does not faint or grow weary". Since you accept the above(changing to the 'heart' instead of the body), then I guess you have no problem with "He does not become faint of heart or get a weary heart". Now it seems we are talking about His emotional faintness and weariness, not his physical state. So that would mean he doesn't become sad or ever have a troubled heart. Oops:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
Genesis 6
6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.
So, if you want to change meanings the same change can be made on the other side of the contradiction and then you end up with more contradictions.

This is a common tactic when errors and contradictions are found. Play word games until the problem "goes away". Unfortunately, it never does.