What is the Psychology/Mechanics of Religious Belief?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

David Davidovich
Student

What is the Psychology/Mechanics of Religious Belief?

Post #1

Post by David Davidovich »

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I hope that this topic is in the correct forum. But I have a question particularly for nonbelievers, however, by no means it is a challenge question. Also, believers are free to post in this topic too.

So, what I would like to ask particularly to nonbelievers is: What is your view on the psychology/mechanics of religious belief and what exactly do you think that believers in God are technically believing in in regard to their desire, their love, their adherence to what they believe is God? And the reason why I ask is because there are various versions of Christianity, which have contradictory and conflicting policies and doctrines, but yet, within these various versions of Christianity, there are people who are sincere and very serious about worshipping God and having a relationship with God. However, for the most part, the people in these various versions of Christianity believe that their way or interpretation of believing and worshipping God is correct while often times believing that Christianity outside of their version of Christianity is incorrect.

And to expound upon these ideas, it seems as if in reality, belief and devotion to God (for many) is believing in the highest principles in your mind that make you feel safe and hopeful about life, along with the highest principles in your mind that produce community and caring and good deeds for others and with others. And of course, this would be in contrast to the darkness and the hopelessness that exists in our world.

So, does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Tcg
Savant

Re: What is the Psychology/Mechanics of Religious Belief?

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

David Davidovich wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:39 pm
Sorry, but I didn't want to be rude because death being "the most important aspect related to religious belief" and that having narrowed down this topic to a manageable topic is incorrect. And yes, it is an important factor related to how religion got its start in the first place, but it's not the main factor that I wanted to hang my hat on for this topic. Therefore, seeing that you still didn't understand the meaning of this topic, rather than tell you that you were wrong again and have you steer this topic in the wrong direction, I just decided to flip your question back on you. However, if you are not able to understand the theme of this topic, you are free not to post in this thread.
You misquoted me. I said, "It is perhaps the most important aspect related to religious belief." If you have no opinion on this vital subject, so be it. If however one wants to understand the function of religion, they won't get a complete picture until they address death.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

[Replying to David Davidovich in post #20]
Hardship and despair and bad times are simply fruit of the tree of ignorance.
Tell that to hungry people in third world countries and war-torn countries.
Those too are fruit of the tree of ignorance. Would telling them make any more difference than telling you?
Also, I noticed that you didn't answer my question about what you meant by "off-setting" and "outside of said universe."
The universe being what it is and individuate consciousnesses being what they are within it - the tendency to be afraid is natural enough. What isn't very natural is in off-setting that tendency with beliefs in things outside of said universe.

off-setting the fear induced by being within this reality...with ideas such as 'heaven' 'nirvana' anywhere 'prefect' which is not like this reality - oft considered 'imperfect' by both theist and non-theist alike.

David Davidovich
Student

Post #23

Tcg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:40 pm
Sorry, but I didn't want to be rude because death being "the most important aspect related to religious belief" and that having narrowed down this topic to a manageable topic is incorrect. And yes, it is an important factor related to how religion got its start in the first place, but it's not the main factor that I wanted to hang my hat on for this topic. Therefore, seeing that you still didn't understand the meaning of this topic, rather than tell you that you were wrong again and have you steer this topic in the wrong direction, I just decided to flip your question back on you. However, if you are not able to understand the theme of this topic, you are free not to post in this thread.
You misquoted me. I said, "It is perhaps the most important aspect related to religious belief." If you have no opinion on this vital subject, so be it. If however one wants to understand the function of religion, they won't get a complete picture until they address death.

Tcg
If you had read my further posts after I responded to you on this issue, you would have seen that I did state an opinion about death and religious belief.

David Davidovich
Student

Post #24

William wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:41 pm [Replying to David Davidovich in post #20]
Hardship and despair and bad times are simply fruit of the tree of ignorance.
Tell that to hungry people in third world countries and war-torn countries.
Those too are fruit of the tree of ignorance. Would telling them make any more difference than telling you?
LOL :D
William wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:41 pm
Also, I noticed that you didn't answer my question about what you meant by "off-setting" and "outside of said universe."
The universe being what it is and individuate consciousnesses being what they are within it - the tendency to be afraid is natural enough. What isn't very natural is in off-setting that tendency with beliefs in things outside of said universe.

off-setting the fear induced by being within this reality...with ideas such as 'heaven' 'nirvana' anywhere 'prefect' which is not like this reality - oft considered 'imperfect' by both theist and non-theist alike.
Okay... It was nice talking to you. :?

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

David Davidovich wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:50 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:40 pm

Tcg
If you had read my further posts after I responded to you on this issue, you would have seen that I did state an opinion about death and religious belief.
I noticed TRANSPONDER discussing death. Where did you do so?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom