Not all those who follow what they believe to be the teachings of Jesus accept the reported words of Jesus in the Bible.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Not all those who follow what they believe to be the teachings of Jesus accept the reported words of Jesus in the Bible.

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg deserves thanks for the thread title, as it's from one of their recent posts. It makes me wonder, if this is true and accurate (which I have little reason to doubt that it's not true and accurate for some), does doing this equate to nothing more than pickin'-n'choosin' (that's happens so much within christianity) or if there is something to it that, if explained, makes sense.

If you are one of these followers that agree with the thread title statement, can you explain why?

For discussion:
Is it possible to be a christian and only believe certain words (aka quotes), certain passages or certain stories from the bible, or do you have to believe it all?
And why?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Not all those who follow what they believe to be the teachings of Jesus accept the reported words of Jesus in the Bi

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:54 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:36 am

My response was made when it was still a claim. It didn't become an hypothesis until later.

Tcg
Since I was the one writing I alone can clarify what was originally meant. The sentence was introduced with a conditional which granted, was not repeated in the second clause but its inference was assumed.
If you agree to have a blood test [clause#1] and [if ]the baby looks like me.... I will marry you
If you agree to have a blood test [clause#1] and the baby looks like me.... I will marry you
Since there was some ambiguity as to whether the entire phrase was intended to be conditional, I clarified with a second post that it was.

And yet, no ..."thank you"!
Blood tests? What does that have to do with your (before it was retracted) claim of "direct quotes" in the Bible?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Not all those who follow what they believe to be the teachings of Jesus accept the reported words of Jesus in the Bi

Post #22

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:02 am

Blood tests? What does that have to do with your (before it was retracted) claim of "direct quotes" in the Bible?

Tcg
Yes, I was trying to illustrate the dependent clause but decided it was more trouble than it was worth. Was there anything else hou would like to ask me?

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:54 am

Since I was the one writing I alone can clarify what was originally meant. The sentence was introduced with a conditional which granted, was not repeated in the second clause but its inference was assumed.

Since there was some ambiguity as to whether the entire phrase was intended to be conditional, I clarified with a second post that it was.

And yet, no ..."thank you"!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:30 am

Yes, I was trying to illustrate the dependent clause but decided it was more trouble than it was worth. Was there anything else hou would like to ask me?

Nope. Your retraction of your claim of "direct quotes" tells me all I need to know.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:38 am

Nope. ...
Okay Well it's been grand. Have a most most excellent day,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:43 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:38 am

Nope. ...
Okay Well it's been grand. Have a most most excellent day,

JW
Thanks. I always do. Life is great without fantasy!

(Not a claim of fact so it can't be questioned apparently.)

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #26

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Nice. I observed with some Jaundice semantic tap -dancing with the ent to scutle away claiming a draw if not a win. I'm glad you could counter that. :applaud:

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Athetotheist »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:39 am Tcg deserves thanks for the thread title, as it's from one of their recent posts. It makes me wonder, if this is true and accurate (which I have little reason to doubt that it's not true and accurate for some), does doing this equate to nothing more than pickin'-n'choosin' (that's happens so much within christianity) or if there is something to it that, if explained, makes sense.

If you are one of these followers that agree with the thread title statement, can you explain why?

For discussion:
Is it possible to be a christian and only believe certain words (aka quotes), certain passages or certain stories from the bible, or do you have to believe it all?
And why?
"But when you pray, enter into your room and shut your door...." (Matthew 6:6)

There are Christians who aren't big on that one. You can run into them at high school football games and graduations. Also at town hall meetings.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:39 am Is it possible to be a christian and only believe certain words (aka quotes), certain passages or certain stories from the bible, or do you have to believe it all?
And why?
It is, because people are allowed to call themselves what they will, and if a large swath of people start calling themselves X because they do Y, that becomes a part of language and those who do Y are now properly called X.

I don't have to like the salad bar Christians, however, and I can think it's silly. However, that doesn't stop them from being right because anything could turn out to be right. The parts they reject could all turn out to be tests to see if they would reject evil, which they did, so they pass.

Once you make morality a gamble-hole of who you should trust, the right thing might be anything.