What did jesus look like?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

What did jesus look like?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Surely, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter, but have you ever wondered what jesus looked like?
Let's assume a man named jesus existed and did what the bible claims.
Often you see paintings and rendering of jesus as a typical 'white dude'. Sometimes, you'll even see jesus with blue eyes (in the part of the USA where I grew up, it was common place to see).
Sometimes jesus looks to be 6ft tall or so, trim/athletic, clean and many times with flowing hair and beard. Sometimes, while on the cross, jesus was rockin' a six or eight pac abs! And oddly smooth.
Some say he looked more 'Middle Eastern' than 'European'.

For discussion:
What do you think jesus looked like? And why?
Do you find any opposing views of jesus offensive? Why or why not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: What did jesus look like?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

It's impossible to know for sure, but one study revealed what an average man from that time in Judea would have looked like:

What did Jesus really look like?
Our images of Jesus say more about us as a society than about his historical appearance.

Currently making the news is a report on a reconstruction of what is being called Jesus’s face. The reconstruction, by British anatomical artist Richard Neave, is actually more than a decade old, but it recently has started doing the rounds again – fitting, given the time of year. Rather than intending to show precisely what Jesus might have looked like, the project sought to demonstrate what an average Judean person in the first century of the Common Era might have looked like.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2 ... eally-look
If there's any truth to the tale of Judas getting paid to point out who Jesus was, he must have looked rather ordinary. If he were exceptional looking like the surfer dude Jesus we often see he would have stood out like a sore thumb.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Also, Jews of that time were much shorter than what many are thought of today. Most sources put Jesus's height between 5'1" and 5'5". A smallish sort of fellow.

............................ Image

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Miles in post #3]

It's funny to see this Jesus depicted as standing on a rock when the folks around him are standing on the ground. It reminds me of a story about the movie "The Magnificent Seven." When blocking a scene, Ul Brynner would kick up dirt to create a mound where he was to stand. Steve McQueen would sneak over and flatten the mound so the scene would show accurately that Steve was taller than Ul. I wonder if Jesus ever used Ul's trick.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Does that mean that Matthew 5 is really The Sermon on the Mound? ;)
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:04 pm [Replying to Miles in post #3]

It's funny to see this Jesus depicted as standing on a rock when the folks around him are standing on the ground. It reminds me of a story about the movie "The Magnificent Seven." When blocking a scene, Ul Brynner would kick up dirt to create a mound where he was to stand. Steve McQueen would sneak over and flatten the mound so the scene would show accurately that Steve was taller than Ul. I wonder if Jesus ever used Ul's trick.

Tcg
If jesus was the man people claim he was, I doubt he used any tricks.
That doesn't prohibit others that told of jesus from using tricks. And to me, that's the bigger issue.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:21 am

Tcg
That doesn't prohibit others that told of jesus from using tricks. And to me, that's the bigger issue.
Well, that's the rub isn't it. We not only can't know exactly what Jesus looked like, we really don't know what he was like. All we have to go on is stories written decades after his life. I've often thought it'd be an enlightening experience to sit down with Jesus and read through the gospels. I suspect he'd be quite surprised by the things he reportedly said and did.

As disappointing as it is, when you dig into the personal lives of "heroes", it is uncommon to not find some very dark aspects to their lives and actions. I'd not be surprised if this were true of Jesus. I'm not claiming it was, but again the problem is we really have no way of knowing much of anything about the man.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:10 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:21 am

Tcg
Well, that's the rub isn't it. We not only can't know exactly what Jesus looked like, we really don't know what he was like. All we have to go on is stories written decades after his life. I've often thought it'd be an enlightening experience to sit down with Jesus and read through the gospels. I suspect he'd be quite surprised by the things he reportedly said and did.

As disappointing as it is, when you dig into the personal lives of "heroes", it is uncommon to not find some very dark aspects to their lives and actions. I'd not be surprised if this were true of Jesus. I'm not claiming it was, but again the problem is we really have no way of knowing much of anything about the man.

Tcg
To be fair, heroes here aren't perfect. Jesus is said to have been perfect. So maybe he's the 'exception' to the rule?
All it takes is belief to make it so - at least for some.
I wonder how much better the world could be is believers stopped believing in such nonsense and put that energy into something truly productive and beneficial for everyone!
But we will never know.

Avoice
Guru

Post #9

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Christians need an image. Why is that? That's so important to them.
They think God is a man. REDICULOUS!
God said Don't out a face on me. Yet Christians do just that.
Christianity is about making God in the image of man. Funny how all the pictures show him looking European.
They believe in some second coming. Well..... They'll be looking for some long haired looking hippie in a white robe.
If some guy who had dark hair and dark eyes came along wearing a business suit and said he was Jesus' they wouldn't believe him. THEY ARE SO ATTACHED TO A PARTICULAR LOOK. The long haired Jesus gives them comfort. That image is locked into their brain. So much so that any other look would ness with their heads.

No one knows what Jesus looked like. You want to see how much they love that image? Next time you see a picture that they believe is Jesus, say to them:. That's a nice picture of Moses. They will get defensive! That's Jesus! One guy told me That's God! No....it's Moses!
Rediculous....

I wonder how many Europeans would hang up Jesus picture on their wall if Jesus was drawn like an Asian or an African? Then look at it and say:. "that's my Lord and savior!!".
No....they love the image they created. It's all about an image with Christians.
All the 'sightings' of Jesus and Mary are foolish. At the most they could say would be:.

(Example) that they see an DaVincis image p

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

We can surely dismiss the blue eyed Saxon with the blond beard. It's more the Greek with the berard, long dark locks and suspicious eyes. I think that image comes from Byzantine representations and got adapted into medieval art and we've been stuck with it ever since.