What's the need for christianity*?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

What's the need for christianity*?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Most of us have seen christians (some on here) that don't prescribe to the (popular definition of) practicing the christian religion as a function of worship: they don't go to any physical church, don't think the bible is the word or (or inspired word of) god as a whole, the bible can be wrong and still be, well, worthy (I guess?), they don't believe in hell as it's taught, and on an on.
These people seem to believe they will get to heaven without partaking in the popular practice of christianity and all that entails. Maybe they will, who knows?

For discussion:
What's the point of christianity as a religion in today's world? Is there a need for it to exist at all?
Do you need christianity and the practice of it to get your reward?
Or can you simply read the bible, believe in what you want, and still get to heaven?

*This assumes heaven and god is real, of course.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: What's the need for christianity*?

Post #31

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I get the idea that while (arguably, if not obviously) while one might have an innate desire for mayhem and malice they actually do the right thing, because of practical reasons, it would be more 'Righteous' to want to do the right. However, Religion even beside the stick and carrot and trying to do the right because it pleases God (whether or not you get anything by that (1) is training wheels and we have to move onto the next stage of doing the Right because it pleases God. But even that I see as the training -wheels, because doing the Right for the wrong reasons (mythology) is only a makeshift solution and has its' own very real problems, when the 'Right' (will of God) is interpreted to be a wrong, and we needn't go too far for examples of that. We can do better, and the way to do that is take off the training -wheels of religion and understand what human morality is actually made of and what makes it tick And I reckon we already know, but religion or at least a misplaced human pride, is preventing us from accepting what we are and why we do what we do. We are primate mammals and are driven by primate animal instincts.

((1) one for noobsperson to star a thread, God -believers will often protest that they aren't trying to please God to get into heaven let alone avoid Hell, but because they want to do God's will. Indeed I have even had those who protested that there is no guarantee that Right Belief and being a regular Christian and decent person will get you into heaven because God gives no guarantees.

Savant

Post #32

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:01 pm ...we already know, but religion or at least a misplaced human pride, is preventing us from accepting what we are and why we do what we do. We are primate mammals and are driven by primate animal instincts....
Can that be proven?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #33

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:47 pm
For discussion:
What's the point of christianity as a religion in today's world? Is there a need for it to exist at all?

FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing my opinion on what the bible contains ...

Well assuming God and heaven are real, I believe that the world needs Christianity for the following biblical reasons [*]...
1) For those those God judges as meek, it teaches them how to please Him and how they can gain everlasting life

2) It is the means by which the wicked are forewarned of their coming destruction

JW

[ * ] I am ONLY mentioning the bible to show what Christianity says in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story therein is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINKS for details: viewtopic.php?p=213491#p213491
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #34

Miles wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:15 pm
.. why punish us---send us to Hell---for the failure of god and his representatives? [/indent]

FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

Biblically [*]God will only condemn those that are incorrigibly wicked; try and imagine a child abuser that enjoys making children suffer and does not WANT to live any other way. I don't think anyone on this forum would thus clarify themselves.

I believe (and this is no claims simply a statement of belief based on scripture) God is just does not eternally condemn those that act out of ignorance or are so damage they cannot intellectually grasp what they are being told.

JW

[ * ] I am ONLY mentioning the bible to show what Christianity says in line with subforum guidelines, not to prove that a statement or story therein is true. ​I am not presenting the bible as authorative or proof of truth and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum See LINKS for details: viewtopic.php?p=213491#p213491

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #35

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:47 am
Well assuming God and heaven are real, I believe that the world needs Christianity for the following biblical reasons [*]...

1) For those those God judges as meek, it teaches them how to please Him and how they can gain everlasting life

2) It is the means by which the wicked are forewarned of their coming destruction
JW
Given your disclaimer, there is no reason to accept that either 1 or 2 are valid. You may be able to show that the Bible teaches these things, although you haven't. Even if you did, that wouldn't address the O.P. It asks why Christianity is needed, not what does the Bible teach about pleasing God or the forewarning of an of course perfectly unsupportable claim about some coming destruction.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #36

Tcg wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:48 pm. ... the O.P. It asks why Christianity is needed
FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply examinjng the OP from a biblical perspective ..."

Regarding addressing the OP, the need is inferred in my response. If somebody was dying and could be saved by a lifegiving treatment, it is a given they would need said treatment. If ( and I am presenting a supposition here, not making a claims) ... if [ * ] Christianity is the means by which humanity can be saved from an avoidable destruction, the need for it would be self-evident.

JW

[ * ]I usually use conditionals ( ... or suppositions, hypothesis etc ) when discussing theological points in this subforum in order to respect forum guidelines while also avoiding making any absolute claims in this regard.This hopefully avoids being sidetracked by challenges to prove points unrelated to the point under discussion.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #37

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:47 pm Or can you simply read the bible, believe in what you want, and still get to heaven?

FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing my bible based opinion ..."
In my personal opinion, no. I don't think (and I am making no claim here, just expressing my opinion) most parents would be happy with his children only obeying the house rules that pleases them (the child) and ignoring those they find objectionable. While biblically, heaven is not open to all the faithful, faith and proof of faith involves more than simply believing selected passages in the bible.

Avoice
Guru

Post #38

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]
Christianitys solution for sin is worse than the sins they worry about

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by nobspeople »

Avoice wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:49 am [Replying to Tcg in post #4]
Threatening, which creates guilt and fear, is a great motivator for many. :approve:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Post #40

Post by Tcg »

Avoice wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:49 am [Replying to Tcg in post #4]
I'm not sure how this addresses my post. I didn't mention anything about sin. Christianity functions in the same way many other religions do and it has nothing to do with a so-called "solution for sin" although undoubtedly other religions offer what they consider to be their solutions. There's no reason to consider any valid or even that there is a need for such a thing.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom