A lot of ?'s

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

A lot of ?'s

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

A lot of questions have been asked in here. I've been accused of asking too many and or the questions being 'stupid' or 'uninformed' or the like. To that, I say 'meh'.

But it leads me to this ( :-o gasp :-o ) question for discussion (sorry not sorry, detractors):

What has been asked in here that made you learn something new about christianity itself that you didn't know prior?
What has been asked in here that you found to be interesting about christianity that you think others should know?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: A lot of ?'s

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

At least you ask different questions. My problem is I keep asking the same ones.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:26 pm At least you ask different questions. My problem is I keep asking the same ones.
You may have to join me on the 'stupid list' here, if you don't 'change your ways'. At least, that's what I expect. ;) :D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:28 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:26 pm At least you ask different questions. My problem is I keep asking the same ones.
You may have to join me on the 'stupid list' here, if you don't 'change your ways'. At least, that's what I expect. ;) :D
I sometimes feel I've been on that list all my life.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:49 pm
I enjoy your posts for what it's worth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:06 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:49 pm
I enjoy your posts for what it's worth.
It's worth the usual amount I pay for half - compliments.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:51 amWhat has been asked in here that made you learn something new about christianity itself that you didn't know prior?
What has been asked in here that you found to be interesting about christianity that you think others should know?
Well, I already knew that JWs and Mormons were more up on their own lore than other Christians (generally), but I've had a lot of very good examples of that here and I've gotten a greater extent of it, to the point that I now vastly prefer a JW to a mainstream Christian.

...Just not when he's at my door trying to convert me.

But I think people should be aware of this, especially in the context of other Christians trying to define the more fringe groups out of Christianity.

Let ye who is without gaps in knowledge throw the first trivia contest. Then we'll bloody see who's "not a real Christian." Pfft.
- Me

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:51 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:51 amWhat has been asked in here that made you learn something new about christianity itself that you didn't know prior?
Well, I already knew that JWs and Mormons were more up on their own lore than other Christians (generally), but I've had a lot of very good examples of that here and I've gotten a greater extent of it, to the point that I now vastly prefer a JW to a mainstream Christian.

...Just not when he's at my door trying to convert me.

But I think people should be aware of this, especially in the context of other Christians trying to define the more fringe groups out of Christianity.

Let ye who is without gaps in knowledge throw the first trivia contest. Then we'll bloody see who's "not a real Christian." Pfft.
- Me
Stricter indoctrination will do that.
Stepping away from the forum:
For me, my experiences with JWs has been incredibly negative - enough for me to write them all off without hesitation.
My Mormon experience has been mixed, but the last Mormon I knew was quite nice and polite. They do tend to put off an air of positivity, generally speaking, that chritians don't seem to have. But I did notice they're more prone to gossip about their brothers and sisters, which I found weird.
:confused2:

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

I can't think of specific examples, but many of them are particular ways of reading a Bible passage. Since my initial Bible reading many years ago was done as a Christian, there are still a lot of things that I read in the standard Christian way that harmonizes the different accounts. I occasionally notice a new way to see it myself, but far more often it's pointed out to me here.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:51 am A lot of questions have been asked in here. I've been accused of asking too many and or the questions being 'stupid' or 'uninformed' or the like. To that, I say 'meh'.

But it leads me to this ( :-o gasp :-o ) question for discussion (sorry not sorry, detractors):

What has been asked in here that made you learn something new about christianity itself that you didn't know prior?
This may be more about some Christians than Christianity itself. There are two particular questionable passages from the gospels that some Christians react very strongly to. One is the story of the woman caught in adultery (John 7:53-8:11) and the other is the claim about handling snakes and drinking poison and not being harmed (Mark 16:18).

Many seem to love the first and almost despise the latter. There seems to be widely varying opinions of the meaning of the first, but the second almost gets ignored and is usually dismissed as an addition to scripture. Very few dismiss the first as a later addition to scripture although it most certainly is. Perhaps the only stronger reaction against the Mark passage is the reaction against those who practice snake handling as a part of their worship based on its inclusion in their Bibles.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom