Could you be sinless for 24 hours for $1,000,000?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Could you be sinless for 24 hours for $1,000,000?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

If I offered to give you a $1,000,000 could you be sinless for 24 hours?

Could you do it?

If not, what sin/s would you commit that would cause you to lose a million dollars?
And why would you not be able to control it?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Could you be sinless for 24 hours for $1,000,000?

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Avoice wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:44 am If I offered to give you a $1,000,000 could you be sinless for 24 hours?

Could you do it?

If not, what sin/s would you commit that would cause you to lose a million dollars?
It depends. Who gets to decide if you were sinless or not?
If it's someone other than myself, maybe, maybe not.
If it's only up to me, absolutely. What is or isn't a sin seems to depend on whom is asked, when.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

Avoice wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:44 am If I offered to give you a $1,000,000 could you be sinless for 24 hours?

Could you do it?

Is sin defined by Torah or the Pauline epistles? If the latter, no, because "whatever is not of faith is sin." If the former, as long as I'm allowed to compile a list and prepare ahead of time, I think so. I'd mostly have to make sure that I don't inadvertantly eat something unclean or wear something prohibited. It'd be a bit more difficult to adapt my lifestyle, but one day wouldn't be undoable.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

.... could you be sinless for 24 hours?

FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply presenting the biblical view of things ...."
According to the Jewish bible, nobody could ...

Hebrew Scripture tell us
ECCLESIASTES 7:20

For there is no righteous man on earth who always does good and never sins
PSALM 51:5 - NWT

Look! I was born guilty of error, And my mother conceived me in sin.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

It depends on what sin means.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Some may quibble over the word "sinless." Some may consider sinless to mean free from the stain of original sin. Asking, "could you not sin for 24 hours?", might more accurately reflect what you are asking.

Could you do it?
As others have pointed out, that would depend on the definition of sin. I suspect it actually wouldn't be that hard if we had a list of what it would entail.
None.
This assumes I wouldn't be able to. I'm sure I could, once again depending on the list.

Of course, all these questions are answered based on the traditional view of sin, the breaking of a divine moral code. I don't accept the idea of a divine being or there being a code from one to break.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Unfortunately my mucky mind is unbribable.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:15 am

Curious, how long is "always" suppose to last? I mean, couldn't a righteous man on earth go without sinning for an hour? If so, why not two hours? And if two hours, why not six ? And if six why not 12? And if that's possible why not 24 hours? And what's so exceptional about being righteous that an ordinary Christian couldn't be righteous for 24 hours? As I understand righteousness all it takes is to be virtuous, and that doesn't seem too difficult to do for 24 hours. Of course, I imagine Christians have added various qualifications to "righteousness" depending on their theology. So, who knows how difficult it may be. Or maybe how easy. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't sinning require some kind of conscious effort to do so? Assuming so, in what way could I have been a sinner before I left my mother’s womb? Or is this talking about god's very odd need that all people be naturally guilty of committing immoral acts that are transgressions against his divine law, regardless if they were informed of them or not?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:13 am

Curious, how long is "always" suppose to last? I mean, couldn't a righteous man on earth go without sinning for an hour? If so, why not two hours? And if two hours, why not six ? And if six why not 12? And if that's possible why not 24 hours? And what's so exceptional about being righteous that an ordinary Christian couldn't be righteous for 24 hours? As I understand righteousness all it takes is to be virtuous, and that doesn't seem too difficult to do for 24 hours. Of course, I imagine Christians have added various qualifications to "righteousness" depending on their theology. So, who knows how difficult it may be. Or maybe how easy. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't sinning require some kind of conscious effort to do so? Assuming so, in what way could I have been a sinner before I left my mother’s womb? Or is this talking about god's very odd need that all people be naturally guilty of committing immoral acts that are transgressions against his divine law, regardless if they were informed of them or not?

Your questions illustrate why several have attempted (unsuccessfully I believe) to get the original poster to define his terms.

PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

The original question pertained to being "sinless" which, biblically, is a condition; so asking someone to remain "sinless" is like asking someone with cancer to be cancer free for 24 hours.(That is not a claim just a biblical conclusion based on my interpretation as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, of scripture)

Miles wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:13 am...Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't sinning require some kind of conscious effort to do so?
Not necessarily, I don't believe so, no.
For Jehovah's Witnesses a "sin" to is any thought, word or action out of harmony with Our Creator's perfect standards whether the person is aware of it or not. So no, biblically no imperfect human can go a minute, much less a day, without sinning in some way.

As you said, theologies (and texural interpretations varey ) but I referenced scriptures from the Hebrew bible because I got the impression Avoice thought that the notion of inherent sinfullness was a uniquely Christian concept; whereas (subject to interpretation) , it is arguably also a Jewish one.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

.... could you be sinless for 24 hours?

FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply presenting the biblical view of things ...."
According to the Jewish bible, nobody could ...

Hebrew Scripture tell us

That's a very, very sad train of thought: conceived in sin so I'm sinful? Talk about a violation of free will when it comes to sin:
"Nope! You don't get a choice. You're sinful because you were conceived in sin - something in which you had ZERO decision in!"
But that stands to reason as a way to ensure more people give the church time, money and themselves! A good business plan for the company.

That doesn't say one can't be sinless for a day as it speaks to 'always'.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!