Could you be sinless for 24 hours for $1,000,000?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Could you be sinless for 24 hours for $1,000,000?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

If I offered to give you a $1,000,000 could you be sinless for 24 hours?

Could you do it?

If not, what sin/s would you commit that would cause you to lose a million dollars?
And why would you not be able to control it?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Could you be sinless for 24 hours for $1,000,000?

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:42 pm
But when it comes to the way sin works, isn't that more of a universe-was-written-that-way issue?
FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

No, I dont believe so at all.

There is nothing wrong with "the universe" if by that you are refering to the stars, galexies and planets. None of the celestial bodies sin. Biblically (and this is not a claim just a comment on the bible text) ... Biblically, the only individuals capable of sin are free moral agents and they were created more than capable of living endlessly without ever sinning.

One day (and this is not a claim but a statemebt of faith) ... one day sin will be a thing of the past.

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:59 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:42 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:31 pmI agree, not facing reality can cause harm, especially if it results in falling to take measures that could improve ones situation. That said I dont believe people are sinful /imperfect because of "the universe" or that "the way the universe structured is fundamentally unfair" . The world (as in the world system) is, in my opinion obscenely unfair, but life was not (and this is not a claim but a statement of faith) conceived as such, nor will it always be.
But when it comes to the way sin works, isn't that more of a universe-was-written-that-way issue?
FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
See post #57 above

No.

There is nothing wrong with "the universe" if by that you are refering to the stars,galexies and planets. None of the celestial bodies sin. The only individuals capable of sin are free moral agents and they were created more than capable of living endlessly without ever sinning.

One day sin will be a thjng of the past.
Well sure, at least the theory of sin will be a thing of the past. That'll occur when humans go extinct. (not a claim of fact just a statement of what is obvious)

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #23

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Yes. No more humans, no more Ethics.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #24

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Avoice wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:44 am If I offered to give you a $1,000,000 could you be sinless for 24 hours?

Could you do it?

If not, what sin/s would you commit that would cause you to lose a million dollars?
And why would you not be able to control it?
I suspect that waiting for the $ 1.000.000 alone could count as committing greed (avaritia), which is one of the seven mortal sins. They are stated since the 5th century.
If I am right the OP question is a logical trap, cause no one could do something for money without doing something for money.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #25

Post by TRANSPONDER »

It's worse than that because according to Christian snake -oil -handling, we are all sinful even if we didn't do anything.

Lucy, (waggling her fingers pointlessly) "Here's your million pounds, Charlie Brown"

In a way it's Theist language, I've always thought that Charles Schultz was quite the Philosopher "If you got taken in by what I said, Charlie Brown, you deserve to be fooled". In her case it was to belittle him to enhance herself. In the case of Christian propaganda it's to intimidate us to enhance Christian authority (or so they hope). If we are fooled by it, shame on us.