Banned

Humans're a special creation

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 942 here:
otseng wrote: ...
humans are a special creation
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the claim is true and factual.

Folks're reminded that in this section of the site the Bible ain't considered authoritative.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Re: Humans're a special creation

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:50 pm I'm not sure they can reason to the level of humans though, (I may be wrong) but certainly consciousness, empathy and a lot of characteristics of human thought seem to be there in higher animals and problem -solving is remarkably often found. It's one reason why (I agree) we aren't as special as we might have thought.
African Grey Parrots have shown a high level of intelligence. Though some question their communications as language, some have been proven to be exceptional. Here are some details about one named Alex:
Alex (parrot)

Alex had a vocabulary of over 100 words, but was exceptional in that he appeared to have understanding of what he said. For example, when Alex was shown an object and asked about its shape, color, or material, he could label it correctly. He could describe a key as a key no matter what its size or color, and could determine how the key was different from others. Looking at a mirror, he said "what color", and learned the word "grey" after being told "grey" six times. This made him the first and only non-human animal to have ever asked a question, let alone an existential one (Apes who have been trained to use sign-language have so far failed to ever ask a single question). Alex's ability to ask questions, as well as to answer to Pepperberg's questions with his own questions, is documented in numerous articles and interviews.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_(parrot)

His ability to answer questions with questions also reveals that he was a student of Socrates. :blink:

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom