Christians: aren't you embarrassed and angry?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Christians: aren't you embarrassed and angry?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Your belief and truth of Christianity is said by the NT writers to be upheld by the Hebrew Scriptures.

Yet when you defend your faith you turn to King James or the Septugiant to support the claims if the NT.

The NT writers KNEW the Hebrew Scriptures was the highest authority by which all claims must be tested.

The NT writers convinced billions of people by claiming it's doctrine is supported by the Hebrew Scriptures. Yet when it comes to showing that proof you won't go to the Hebrew. You use a translation. And have the audacity to say the Greek Septugiant is the authority. The truth you claim to have you say is upheld by highest authority - Hebrew Scriptures. But when you have to prove it you cheat

Aren't you angry at the NT writers making you have to cheat in order to make their claims appear valid? Aren't you embarrassed that your truth will fail if forced to be seen in the light of the Hebrew Scriptures? That even right now you will be forced into giving a torcherous explaination even though no explaination you could give will ever give anything other than the Hebrew the authority to determine the truth.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Christians: aren't you embarrassed and angry?

Post #41

Post by Goat »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:30 am
Avoice wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:44 am Your belief and truth of Christianity is said by the NT writers to be upheld by the Hebrew Scriptures.

Yet when you defend your faith you turn to King James or the Septugiant to support the claims if the NT.

The NT writers KNEW the Hebrew Scriptures was the highest authority by which all claims must be tested.

The NT writers convinced billions of people by claiming it's doctrine is supported by the Hebrew Scriptures. Yet when it comes to showing that proof you won't go to the Hebrew. You use a translation. And have the audacity to say the Greek Septugiant is the authority. The truth you claim to have you say is upheld by highest authority - Hebrew Scriptures. But when you have to prove it you cheat

Aren't you angry at the NT writers making you have to cheat in order to make their claims appear valid? Aren't you embarrassed that your truth will fail if forced to be seen in the light of the Hebrew Scriptures? That even right now you will be forced into giving a torcherous explaination even though no explaination you could give will ever give anything other than the Hebrew the authority to determine the truth.
Many Jews used the Septuagint as their scripture not Hebrew though, doesn't that fact weaken your claim that only Hebrew is trustworthy? Don't overlook the fact too that the Septuagint was translated by Jewish scribes and some 250+ years before Christ.

The Septuagint also sets a precedent by allowing Greek phrases to be reverse translated to Hebrew, a huge help to NT scholars who want to understand what might have been the intent of some Greek phrase in the NT.
In general, the Septugint was very scorned by the Jews that were in the vicinity of Judah. it is only some very hellenized Jews that used it,
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

pjharrison57
Student

Post #42

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to Avoice in post #1]
There are some of the translations that are way off base. The king James is the best. The Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #43

Post by Clownboat »

pjharrison57 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:57 pm [Replying to Avoice in post #1]
There are some of the translations that are way off base. The king James is the best. The Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth.
Please show that this Holy Spirit is real and that it will lead a person to truth or kindly retract your claim for being nothing but an empty, self serving religious platitude.
You will know them by their fruits. So before you respond, make sure the Holy Spirit is helping you. I would hate for you to not be telling the truth afterall.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

pjharrison57
Student

Post #44

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #43]
If you want me to show you the Holy Spirit, I can't he is spirit, so you can't see him. Why do you get to say whatever you want to, but I get a message that I need to review the rules? If you can't really debate, then what is this site for?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #45

Post by Clownboat »

pjharrison57 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:15 am If you want me to show you the Holy Spirit, I can't he is spirit, so you can't see him.

Then you should stop making Holy Spirit claims on a debate site where statements are expected to be backed up or retracted. You do neither here in regards to this Holy Spirit you make claims about.
Why do you get to say whatever you want to, but I get a message that I need to review the rules?

I don't get to say whatever I want. This is just your emotions talking and does not reflect reality.
If you can't really debate, then what is this site for?
This site is for debate. For example:
"Please show that this Holy Spirit is real and that it will lead a person to truth or kindly retract your claim for being nothing but an empty, self serving religious platitude."

While participaing in honest debate, one should be willing to evidence claims that they make. What you have done here is to pretend to be a victim. That is not debate. Care to begin? If so, please evidence this Holy Spirit or retract the claim for not being evidenced. You can still believe the Holy Spirit is a real thing if you want of course and can even debate from a 'belief' point of view. Just be careful with the claims you make as claims can be challenge in debate.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

pjharrison57
Student

Post #46

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #45]
In that case that just silence the believer in Christ completely. The Holy Spirit is who guide us.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #47

Post by Clownboat »

pjharrison57 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:32 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #45]
In that case that just silence the believer in Christ completely. The Holy Spirit is who guide us.
Is this you admitting that you are not going to show that you speak the truth about this Holy Spirit being real and that it will lead a person to truth?

Perhaps it is just that this Holy Spirit guides people much like how Santa Claus delivers presents to children that believe? Since this is a valid scenario, I feel justified in asking you to show that you speak the truth.

It's OK to retract claims that are made in error. Even honorable if you ask me, but you are not doing that. You are just repeating your claim as if you think that is a valid support in debate. :confused2:
If you had a Holy Spirit guiding you here, it has failed miserably and to the observation of all in this thread. It seems as though you are here... unguided. Just a regular human like the rest of us.

pjharrison57
Student

Post #48

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #47]

I can't prove to you that there is a Holy Spirit, just like you can't prove that there is not one.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #49

Post by TRANSPONDER »

But you are the one claiming there is one so the burden of proof is on you to show that there is, not on the doubters to show that there isn't.

ts is almost always the case; the Believer (I'm looking at you O:) ) is assuming the 'Holy Spirit' as a default hypothesis which the doubters have to disprove,;but funny feelings and personal convictions (never mind religious claims) are no valid evidence for a Holy Spirit, so the burden of proof falls on you. Logic does not allow you to act as though appealing to agnosticism hands you the win.

The logic on agnosticism isthat you disbelieve a claim until it is proven; you don't believe it until disproven, or you'd have to also believe that Muhammad flew to heaven on a winged horse, Buddha turned himself into a hundred Budddhas and all the ex -presidents know that Grey ET's control the government.

Tcg
Savant

Post #50

Post by Tcg »

pjharrison57 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:15 am [Replying to Clownboat in post #43]
If you want me to show you the Holy Spirit, I can't he is spirit, so you can't see him.
The same is true of things that don't exist, we can't see them. How can you show that the Holy Spirit exists? As you've admitted, you can't show it to us. What can you show us?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom