Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Did Christianity invent children?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

Please read the article before answering or debating the question.

Did Christianity invent children?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Did Christianity invent children?

Post #31

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:31 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:06 amAs we see time and time again, the Bible is a book of favoritism. Those who aren't of "God's chosen" get treated astonishingly cruelly and that includes children.
That's very true and that's all the more reason to consider the question in this context. The question isn't about all children anymore than it's about whether the mother monkey ought to protect the baby crabs. I would consider the debate question's answer to be yes if it imparted most of the current value to the children of those it was meant to protect.

And I think it probably did add some, but as others have said, mammals love and care for their offspring innately, especially primates because they tend to have so few. The idea that people just plopped 'em out and let them sink or swim before the Bible is a little absurd.

Animals that have very many offspring tend to employ the spray and pray strategy, making as many as possible and not caring for them because they couldn't possibly. This crab can have up to 700,000 babies at once.

Most mammals are the opposite of spray and pray. This primate only has one baby, and her strategy is to protect it and make sure it reaches adulthood.

For them interested, these two birthing strategies're referred to as "r selection", and "k selection", respectively.

I've known about em a good while, but in all my amateur studies, I still don't know to what them letters refer. Sorry but that.
https://www2.nau.edu/lrm22/lessons/r_an ... and_k.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:31 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: For them interested, these two birthing strategies're referred to as "r selection", and "k selection", respectively.

I've known about em a good while, but in all my amateur studies, I still don't know to what them letters refer. Sorry but that.
I preciate that more'n I can say.

Maybe it reflects an inability to do sound research on my part, but I never found out why r and k.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:40 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:31 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: For them interested, these two birthing strategies're referred to as "r selection", and "k selection", respectively.

I preciate that more'n I can say.

Maybe it reflects an inability to do sound research on my part, but I never found out why r and k.
Consider it my last gift to you :approve:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!