Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Did Christianity invent children?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

Please read the article before answering or debating the question.

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: Did Christianity invent children?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:01 pm https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

Given that modern humans have been around for 200,000 years or perhaps longer and Christianity has been around for the short span of 2,000 years or so, the obvious answer is NO.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

..................................... Image

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

No, mammals did. The degree of this phenomenon may have been greatly enhanced by any number of events throughout humanity's development, but it was the invention of mammals, and birds, and probably the ancestral warm-blooded reptile that spawned both.

Actually even cichlids have it.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Hardly. Care of children is a general mammalian characteristic, and the training of the children to survive and function in the world is the mother's if not the parents' bob. Taken over in a complex social group to teach the values, the parents being more the tribal guardians of the tribe's cultural values.

Christianity is but one of those social tribes that is permitted - if it works with the state - to teach its' own particular values.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:01 pm https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

I think the question should have been, did Christianity give value or appreciation for children. I think the article is about that. And I think it has a good point. It really seems to be so that without Christianity, children are barely seen even as humans. They can be aborted easily and they can be groomed and used as sex slaves, when they have no value.

But, unfortunately inside of Christianity there is also people who don't appreciate and love children. But at least the teachings of Christianity appreciate and show love to children.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:28 am

I think the question should have been, did Christianity give value or appreciation for children. I think the article is about that. And I think it has a good point. It really seems to be so that without Christianity, children are barely seen even as humans. They can be aborted easily and they can be groomed and used as sex slaves, when they have no value.
They can also be dashed against the rocks if they are children of those who opposed Israel:
Psalm 137:7Remember, O Lord, against the Edomites
the day of Jerusalem,
how they said, “Lay it bare, lay it bare,
down to its foundations!”
8 O daughter of Babylon, doomed to be destroyed,
blessed shall he be who repays you
with what you have done to us!
9 Blessed shall he be who takes your little ones
and dashes them against the rock!
As we see time and time again, the Bible is a book of favoritism. Those who aren't of "God's chosen" get treated astonishingly cruelly and that includes children.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

The title is deliberately hyperbolic, a literary device to capture readers attention and provoke thought on the issues raises. It is not an article on biology but on how Christianity has shaped the modern view of children and childhood.
FIRSTLY PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."

Although I think the author makes some valid points, in my view he under plays the basic truth that normal people have always had a natutal love of their offspring, albeit supperimposed with religious and social norms but not extinguished. That said, there is no doubt In my mind that Christianity has had a huge impact on the world, especially the West. The record of Jesus has in my opinon given dignity to men women and yes children, raising them up out if paganism, away from a caste system, to a higher level in which all people young or old, have equal value in the eyes of God.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:16 am ...
That said, there is no doubt In my mind that Christianity has had a huge impact on the world, especially the West. The record of Jesus has in my opinon given dignity to men women and yes children, raising them up out if paganism, away from a caste system, to a higher level in which all people young or old, have equal value in the eyes of God.
You must not live in the Bible Belt.

The caste system is real.

Wimmins're for breedin' 'n' baby birthin', incapable of making sound medical decision for themselves.

There should be no teaching of gender, just ask Mr. Desantis.

And the ever present, "Y'all's broke cause y'all ain't sending me God's cut of y'all's paycheck".

And did I mention slavery?

Christians just love to claim ol' Jesus there'll fix it all, as they run around breaking stuff for him to fix.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:28 am

But, unfortunately inside of Christianity there is also people who don't appreciate and love children. But at least the teachings of Christianity appreciate and show love to children.
Children of slaves were slaves themselves. Christianity's no better, or worse really, than the values of those who use it for their own aims.

Millionaire preachers flitting about in private jets, begging for money to feed the starving children, is among the most heinous cons I've ever known.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin