Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Did Christianity invent children?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

Please read the article before answering or debating the question.

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Did Christianity invent children?

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

It takes children to grow to adulthood and create christianity, so NO, christianity didn't 'invent' children. It's beyond absurd to suggest that.
The article seems to be implying that christianty, in some fashion, invented the idea that children are 'special' (or at the very least, not a 'lowly' as other areas of society seemed to deem them at some point in time), which is entirely different than 'inventing children'.
Why the apparent need to try to elevate christianty into some beloved, 'children producing wonderment' is very telling.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:28 am
Wootah wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:01 pm https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

I think the question should have been, did Christianity give value or appreciation for children. I think the article is about that. And I think it has a good point. It really seems to be so that without Christianity, children are barely seen even as humans. They can be aborted easily and they can be groomed and used as sex slaves, when they have no value.

But, unfortunately inside of Christianity there is also people who don't appreciate and love children. But at least the teachings of Christianity appreciate and show love to children.
I think you make a good point - There is at least evidence that Jesus spoke about Children in a way which was contrary to the manner in which they were commonly treated.

It appears that the 'invention' has to do with this idea - but whether it was the sole product of Jesus or Christianity, isn't really an important issue therein...Adults are simply grown up Children, so how they were treated as Children is often how they treat other humans, so the idea of changing that by introducing other ways of thinking, is geared toward helping humans appreciate one another rather than abusing one another.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:10 pm
Wootah wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:01 pm https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

I think the question should have been, did Christianity give value or appreciation for children. I think the article is about that. And I think it has a good point. It really seems to be so that without Christianity, children are barely seen even as humans. They can be aborted easily and they can be groomed and used as sex slaves, when they have no value.

But, unfortunately inside of Christianity there is also people who don't appreciate and love children. But at least the teachings of Christianity appreciate and show love to children.
I think you make a good point - There is at least evidence that Jesus spoke about Children in a way which was contrary to the manner in which they were commonly treated.

It appears that the 'invention' has to do with this idea - but whether it was the sole product of Jesus or Christianity, isn't really an important issue therein...Adults are simply grown up Children, so how they were treated as Children is often how they treat other humans, so the idea of changing that by introducing other ways of thinking, is geared toward helping humans appreciate one another rather than abusing one another.
A surprisingly good point that's been made.
Matthew 18
But, that could also mean 'not thinking', as children are prone to following and just 'doing' more so than or before 'thinking'.
So maybe it's has a different meaning as well?

William
Savant

Post #14

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:18 pm

Matthew 18
But, that could also mean 'not thinking', as children are prone to following and just 'doing' more so than or before 'thinking'.
I do not understand what it is you are conveying there.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:52 pm

Matthew 18
Faith of a child, the bible speaks of (paraphrased).
But children don't often think before they act.
They act
They follow
So maybe (I know you hate that word) what was spoken about above, or it could also mean (maybe) to act without thinking - just follow.

William
Savant

Post #16

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:57 pm

Matthew 18
They act
They follow
So maybe (I know you hate that word) what was spoken about above, or it could also mean (maybe) to act without thinking - just follow.
As I understand it, if there is some almost indelible psychologically damage of an adult which are sourced in childhood trauma then the thinking processes of such adults are too influenced by those trauma to be of any practical use in helping to fix the problem.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by Athetotheist »

The notion that Christianity was the first religion to value children seems to be hogwash:

https://theconversation.com/children-in ... day-120490

Tcg
Savant

Post #18

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:34 pm The notion that Christianity was the first religion to value children seems to be hogwash:

https://theconversation.com/children-in ... day-120490
And there is no reason to think that humans universally mistreated children before they invented religions and gods.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:33 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:57 pm

Matthew 18
They act
They follow
As I understand it, if there is some almost indelible psychologically damage of an adult which are sourced in childhood trauma then the thinking processes of such adults are too influenced by those trauma to be of any practical use in helping to fix the problem.
I don't see anyone disagreeing with that.
My comment was children tend to DO before THINKING more so than adults.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:06 amAs we see time and time again, the Bible is a book of favoritism. Those who aren't of "God's chosen" get treated astonishingly cruelly and that includes children.
That's very true and that's all the more reason to consider the question in this context. The question isn't about all children anymore than it's about whether the mother monkey ought to protect the baby crabs. I would consider the debate question's answer to be yes if it imparted most of the current value to the children of those it was meant to protect.

And I think it probably did add some, but as others have said, mammals love and care for their offspring innately, especially primates because they tend to have so few. The idea that people just plopped 'em out and let them sink or swim before the Bible is a little absurd.

Animals that have very many offspring tend to employ the spray and pray strategy, making as many as possible and not caring for them because they couldn't possibly. This crab can have up to 700,000 babies at once.

Most mammals are the opposite of spray and pray. This primate only has one baby, and her strategy is to protect it and make sure it reaches adulthood.