Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Did Christianity invent children?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://theweek.com/articles/551027/how ... d-children

Please read the article before answering or debating the question.

Did Christianity invent children?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Did Christianity invent children?

Post #21

Post by Difflugia »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pmThis crab can have up to 700,000 babies at once.

Probably not. That's a male crab. :D

Males are the only ones with one large and one small claw. They use the large claw to fight over women.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pm
And I think it probably did add some, but as others have said, mammals love and care for their offspring innately, especially primates because they tend to have so few. The idea that people just plopped 'em out and let them sink or swim before the Bible is a little absurd.
It easy from an evolutoinary standpoint to understand this too. It's not likely humans would have survived long enough to invent Christianity had we not possesed the instinct to care for our children.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:37 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pmThis crab can have up to 700,000 babies at once.

Probably not. That's a male crab. :D

Males are the only ones with one large and one small claw. They use the large claw to fight over women.
I'm not sure if this is true of crabs or not, but when I was a kid, I was an avid crawfish (although we called them crawdads in the South) hunter and collector. Not to eat, to keep as pets. When in fights, they had the ability to shed their claws and or legs to get out of a bad situation. They would eventually grow back, but almost all of them had one claw that was smaller than the other due to this. So, when they said, "I'll give an arm and a leg for you baby!", they meant it.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Purple Knight »

Difflugia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:37 pmProbably not. That's a male crab. :D

How dare you claim the babies aren't also his?! How sexist! [-X

(I could not find a convenient picture of an obviously female crab. And as I understand it, the ones that come out on land like the blue or christmas ones, are the ones that can have nearly a million babies at once. I used to live in Florida where crabs such as the one in the picture would sometimes cause trouble when they came en masse onto land. Sometimes when they see a car, they raise their claws to threaten instead of getting the heck out of the road. RIP crab. RIP tire.)
Tcg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:23 pmI'm not sure if this is true of crabs or not, but when I was a kid, I was an avid crawfish (although we called them crawdads in the South) hunter and collector. Not to eat, to keep as pets. When in fights, they had the ability to shed their claws and or legs to get out of a bad situation. They would eventually grow back, but almost all of them had one claw that was smaller than the other due to this. So, when they said, "I'll give an arm and a leg for you baby!", they meant it.
Yes that is true of crabs. The new limb appears at the next moult.

In Florida we call those little freshwater lobsters crayfish. Apparently everyone has a different name for them. They're delicious when fresh but I recently went to a higher-end buffet where some were available. Oh, I haven't had those in ages, I said, and picked one off the line, then engaged in the process of shelling it. When not very very fresh, they are not nearly as good.

I also learned to use them in outdoor ponds. They eat your fish if they can get them, but they also eat the scummy stuff off the bottom that you don't want in your pond anyway.

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:50 pm
Difflugia wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:37 pmProbably not. That's a male crab. :D

How dare you claim the babies aren't also his?! How sexist! [-X

(I could not find a convenient picture of an obviously female crab. And as I understand it, the ones that come out on land like the blue or christmas ones, are the ones that can have nearly a million babies at once. I used to live in Florida where crabs such as the one in the picture would sometimes cause trouble when they came en masse onto land. Sometimes when they see a car, they raise their claws to threaten instead of getting the heck out of the road. RIP crab. RIP tire.)
Tcg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:23 pmI'm not sure if this is true of crabs or not, but when I was a kid, I was an avid crawfish (although we called them crawdads in the South) hunter and collector. Not to eat, to keep as pets. When in fights, they had the ability to shed their claws and or legs to get out of a bad situation. They would eventually grow back, but almost all of them had one claw that was smaller than the other due to this. So, when they said, "I'll give an arm and a leg for you baby!", they meant it.
Yes that is true of crabs. The new limb appears at the next moult.

In Florida we call those little freshwater lobsters crayfish. Apparently everyone has a different name for them. They're delicious when fresh but I recently went to a higher-end buffet where some were available. Oh, I haven't had those in ages, I said, and picked one off the line, then engaged in the process of shelling it. When not very very fresh, they are not nearly as good.
I've experienced that too while eating at a buffet in Gulfport, MS. I expected them to be fresh there, but they weren't. They didn't taste bad really, just bland.

Following what these creatures are called is a bit like mapping out what people call soda. Soda, pop, coke. In Texas it was, "What kind of coke do you want?" That referred to all sodas, not just Coke.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:08 pmFollowing what these creatures are called is a bit like mapping out what people call soda. Soda, pop, coke. In Texas it was, "What kind of coke do you want?" That referred to all sodas, not just Coke.
That reminds me of when I dated someone from New York who asked me if I wanted to order a pie for dinner. It took me a second to figure it out that she meant she wanted Papa John's.

Tcg
Savant

Post #27

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:14 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:08 pmFollowing what these creatures are called is a bit like mapping out what people call soda. Soda, pop, coke. In Texas it was, "What kind of coke do you want?" That referred to all sodas, not just Coke.
That reminds me of when I dated someone from New York who asked me if I wanted to order a pie for dinner. It took me a second to figure it out that she meant she wanted Papa John's.
In and around NYC it's also not uncommon to simply be asked if you want to get a slice.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #28

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:06 am As we see time and time again, the Bible is a book of favoritism. Those who aren't of "God's chosen" get treated astonishingly cruelly and that includes children.
For the record, the bible is a book of favouritism. You can't understand the Bible without understanding that. God favours his children and hates his enemies.

Of course, that doesn't defend your misuse of that quote. But if you can't relate to that quote then you probably don't love your children or have not experienced evil adequately. All the baby dashing quote expresses is the anger of the Jews towards the Babylonians. It is not a command from God to do that.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #29

Post by Wootah »

Anyone discussing evolution has probably not read the article or much history on the status of children in the ancient world obviously.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:06 amAs we see time and time again, the Bible is a book of favoritism. Those who aren't of "God's chosen" get treated astonishingly cruelly and that includes children.
That's very true and that's all the more reason to consider the question in this context. The question isn't about all children anymore than it's about whether the mother monkey ought to protect the baby crabs. I would consider the debate question's answer to be yes if it imparted most of the current value to the children of those it was meant to protect.

And I think it probably did add some, but as others have said, mammals love and care for their offspring innately, especially primates because they tend to have so few. The idea that people just plopped 'em out and let them sink or swim before the Bible is a little absurd.

Animals that have very many offspring tend to employ the spray and pray strategy, making as many as possible and not caring for them because they couldn't possibly. This crab can have up to 700,000 babies at once.

Most mammals are the opposite of spray and pray. This primate only has one baby, and her strategy is to protect it and make sure it reaches adulthood.

For them interested, these two birthing strategies're referred to as "r selection", and "k selection", respectively.

I've known about em a good while, but in all my amateur studies, I still don't know to what them letters refer. Sorry but that.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin