Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Meek*

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?

*Thanks to william for the inspiration for the question
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Meek*

Post #111

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:36 am
Miles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:45 am

and believe a planet with only meek people will be a delight to live on.
What's so delightful about a planet full of meek

Even given the lack of ponctuation this sounds like a request for opinion ; are you in fact asking me for my opinion. I warn you my opinion is based on my interpretation of the biblical promise; thus my response will refer to scripture.

Please verify if you are requestinhg my personal bible based opinion to be posted in this subforum or are you requesting scientific peer reviewed proof of what is {quote} "delightful about a planet full of meek"?

Clarification not expected but nevertheless requested.

JW
Nah. No need to respond. :)

Miles
Savant

Post #112

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:44 am
You do realize, do you not, that if only meek people inherit the Earth there won't be anyone to impose on them or make them submit to anything, and consequently they won't be able to express their meekness and will likely not be all that happy.
I appreciate your contribution but I also noted it seems completely void of any scientific peer reviewed verifiable evidence. In fact it looks a lot like you have posted what you believe to be true about the bible promise.
Ah, like everything you've said here, it is indeed void of any scientific peer reviewed verifiable evidence. But it is what what I believe.

In short you have just posted what you think/envision/believe... life would be like if the meek do inherit the earth as promised in scripture.

Maybe I am mistake, because if you can post what you believe about the biblical promise I should be able to do the same.

Clarification appreciated,

JW
Not at all sure just what you're saying here. As punctuated, your quote "In short you have . . . . " within a quotation box would seem to imply this is something I said, which we both know is not the case. Clarify or not. Your choice

Miles
Savant

Post #113

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:51 am
I am convinced by the evidence presented in the bible . . . .
Just what

ev·i·dence
/ˈevədəns/
noun: evidence
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

is that?
The information (aka evidence) in the bible I am refering to is its candor and convincing presentation of character, its accurate historical, scientific and prophetic details and above all the profound portrayal by four independent biographers of the life and ministry of Jesus of Narareth.
You may be impressed by someone's candor and presentation, but neither amounts to evidence. That you regard what is presented as accurate, historical, scientific, have what you consider to be prophetic details, and what you feel is a profound portrayal, amount to claims, NOT evidence "indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid." Present your evidence that what you regard as accurate, historical, scientific, have what you consider to be prophetic details, and is a profound portrayal is true or valid, and I might be interested. As is, they remain baseless assertions.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #114

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:30 pm
Not at all sure just what you're saying here. As punctuated, your quote "In short you have . . . . " within a quotation box would seem to imply this is something I said, which we both know is not the case. Clarify or not. Your choice
To clarify ...

You do realize, do you not, that if only meek people inherit the Earth there won't be anyone to impose on them or make them submit to anything, and consequently they won't be able to express their meekness and will likely not be all that happy.
I appreciate your contribution but I also noted it seems completely void of any scientific peer reviewed verifiable evidence. In fact it looks a lot like you have posted what you believe to be true about the bible promise. In short you have just posted what you think/envision/believe... life would be like if the meek do inherit the earth as promised in scripture.[/color]

Maybe I am mistake, because if you can post what you believe about the biblical promise I should be able to do the same.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #115

Miles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:53 pm ...NOT evidence "indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid."

Unless you are holding another definition, information that is indicative of something being true, is exactly what the bible contains and thus qualifies as evidence. Unless, that is, you are suggesting the bible is devoid of information. Is that what you are wrongly suggesting? A simple "Yes" or "No" will suffice. In case you are contemplatiing answering "No, there is no information in the bible" I will help you out by posting the definition of the word ...

INFORMATION

: knowledge that you get about someone or something : facts or details about a subject
https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/information
And I will also remind you of what the Word evidence means

ev·i·dence
/ˈevədəns/
noun: evidence
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

Now I Will give you an illustration (and I will try and keep my illustration very simple).

Little Eddy tells his ma he did not eat the chocolate cookie she baked

Is this a true statement or not? We (the readers) do not have enough information/evidence.

EVIDENCE (ie information) that will help us decide (indicate) if the above statement is or is not true.
His mother learns he was seen a fes minutes earlier in the kitchen (that is a piece of information) . His brother says he saw him with chocolate around his mouth shortly after that (another piece of information) his mother finds cookie crumble in his pocket (another piece of information). Eddy finally cracks and makes a full confession (more information)
On the basis of the information (evidence) provided we can come to a conclusion about the truth of the question under consideration.
In the same way the bible makes statements which the reader will have to decide for himself if he believes or not. For example promises of a future paradise. It also contains supporting information, which can indicate what decision to make.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Miles
Savant

Post #116

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:24 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:30 pm
To clarify ...

I appreciate your contribution but I also noted it seems completely void of any scientific peer reviewed verifiable evidence. In fact it looks a lot like you have posted what you believe to be true about the bible promise. In short you have just posted what you think/envision/believe... life would be like if the meek do inherit the earth as promised in scripture.[/color]

JW

Absolutely. You have every right to post what you believe; although, you would do well not to phrase it as fact.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #117

Miles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:40 pm

Absolutely. You have every right to post what you believe; although, you would do well not to phrase it as fact.

You do well to follow your own counsel. Would you, therefore like to tell us all again what life would be like if the meek inherited the earth and remove any insinuation you were stating fact instead of belief?

Why should I realize what you say?! As if your statement was a fact rather than an opinion based on your vision of this future. A private vision I might add based in your particular interpretation of how a biblical promise might play out. An interpretation which you neither supported nor proved accurate. I do realize the inevitability of death and taxes in this system of things, I do realize that 2 plus 2 is 4. I do realize that certain FACTS hold true ... but I see no need to realize your vision or interpretation of scripture; because you are not stating fact you are stating belief. Perhaps you might like to consider the use if conditionals...

Any questions?

Miles
Savant

Post #118

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:58 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:40 pm

You do well to follow your own counsel. Would you, therefore like to tell us all again what life would be like if the meek inherited the earth and remove any insinuation you were stating fact instead of belief?

Why should I realize what you say?! As if your statement was a fact rather than an opinion based on your vision of this future. A private vision I might add based in your particular interpretation of how a biblical promise might play out. An interpretation which you neither supported nor proved accurate. I do realize the inevitability of death and taxes in this system of things, I do realize that 2 plus 2 is 4. I do realize that certain FACTS hold true ... but I see no need to realize your vision or interpretation of scripture; because you are not stating fact you are stating belief. Perhaps you might like to consider the use if conditionals...
But it is fact. It's in the Epistle of Zechariah.

Epistle of Zechariah 15:4-5.
"4 In that day the Lord declared the inheritance of earth will lay the meek chapfallen and troubled for the impositors will have been banished and the submitors spurned. 5 The servant then asked what can be done? to which it was answered, 'No thing can be done.'"

Willum
Savant

Post #119

Post by Willum »

Government wanted weak citizens that were easy to control.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #120

Miles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:12 am
But it is fact. It's in the Epistle of Zechariah.

So let me get this right, are you saying, if something is written in the bible it is FACT ?

FACT

A thing that is known or proved to be true.

JW