Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Meek*

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?

*Thanks to william for the inspiration for the question
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Re: Meek*

Post #61

Post by William »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #60]
Learning how NOT to inflict unnecessary pain onto others, if we know how to learn to avoid doing so...
While at the same time, not be gullible about it...
Honestly I would rather not fight that battle. If someone says that hurts me and they're lying, if there's any order to the universe at all, that's on them.
What is 'The Battle'?
Why not apply that to all situations then?

tam
Savant

Post #62

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Clownboat wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:18 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:52 pm Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:

Being meek for the most part is not a feature one should seek to have IMO (nothing wrong with being gentle obviously).

What you refer to is religious propoganda invented to help keep the sheep in line.
Being easily imposed on and or submissive are desirable features rulers have over their subjects afterall.

If one wants to become meek, one should submit to authority (perceived or real) and be easilily taken advantage of. Don't cause a ruckus or make waves. Go with the flow.
Really?

Because this is what Christ said of Himself:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

I'm quite certain (as I think others would agree) that He did not 'go with the flow', nor was He easily taken advantage of. He did, however, submit to authority. Not to the Pharisees or to the teachers of the law, whom He rebuked. But rather, to His God and Father.

Bold before men, meek before God.

In a similar way, Moses was described as being the meekest (or most humble) of all men. Yet Moses stood up to Pharaoh and led Israel; though he did not do this on his own, but rather on command and with the help of God. Moses was meek and humble before God. Moses submitted to God.

As did Christ.

Psalm 37 might give some a better understanding of what it means to be meek (to trust in God, to be humble before God, to be peaceful, to do good, to refrain from anger and turn from wrath).

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Peace again to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #63

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:08 pmWhat is 'The Battle'?
Why not apply that to all situations then?
The battle I speak of is in convincing others I'm right when someone is whining that they are hurt to gain social power and status. I can't win and I don't care. Even if they are faking I would rather just give them what they want anyway.

Some battles can be won and others can't.

brunumb
Savant

Post #64

Post by brunumb »

tam wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:03 pm Because this is what Christ said of Himself:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

I'm quite certain (as I think others would agree) that He did not 'go with the flow', nor was He easily taken advantage of. He did, however, submit to authority. Not to the Pharisees or to the teachers of the law, whom He rebuked. But rather, to His God and Father.

In a similar way, Moses was described as being the meekest (or most humble) of all men. Yet Moses stood up to Pharaoh and led Israel; though he did not do this on his own, but rather on command and with the help of God. Moses was meek and humble before God. Moses submitted to God.

As did Christ.

Psalm 37 might give some a better understanding of what it means to be meek (to trust in God, to be humble before God, to be peaceful, to do good, to refrain from anger and turn from wrath).
But isn't that all just a part of a religion constructed by men and compiled in a book? Why should we give it any credibility?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #65

Post by Clownboat »

tam wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:03 pm Peace to you,

For discussion:

Being meek for the most part is not a feature one should seek to have IMO (nothing wrong with being gentle obviously).

What you refer to is religious propoganda invented to help keep the sheep in line.
Being easily imposed on and or submissive are desirable features rulers have over their subjects afterall.

If one wants to become meek, one should submit to authority (perceived or real) and be easilily taken advantage of. Don't cause a ruckus or make waves. Go with the flow.
Really?

As did Christ.

Peace again to you all,
tammy
Nothing you said refutes my life experiences with meekness within the church.

Your words from Christ are nothing but word salad and empty religious promises IMO. For example, he could have promised 72 virgins, but he decided to promise rest for your soul instead.

A Muslims beliefs about 72 virgins or yours about a soul resting is nothing more than each of you sharing the belief you hold. Both beliefs come from a religious holy book. Feel free to believe you are owed virgins in the afterlife if you would like. Being meek will help you to believe such a claim.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

tam
Savant

Post #66

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Clownboat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:28 pm
tam wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:03 pm Peace to you,

For discussion:

Really?

As did Christ.

Peace again to you all,
tammy
Nothing you said refutes my life experiences with meekness within the church.
That's fine Clownboat, but since when is the meaning of a word dependent upon your personal opinion and life experiences? Why would you not draw the context from the person who used the word?

Your words from Christ are nothing but word salad and empty religious promises IMO. For example, he could have promised 72 virgins, but he decided to promise rest for your soul instead.
Yeah, this has nothing to do with the meaning of the word 'meek'.
A Muslims beliefs about 72 virgins or yours about a soul resting is nothing more than each of you sharing the belief you hold. Both beliefs come from a religious holy book. Feel free to believe you are owed virgins in the afterlife if you would like. Being meek will help you to believe such a claim.
Once again, what the meek receive has nothing to do with the meaning of the word.

Peace again.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #67

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote:Nothing you said refutes my life experiences with meekness within the church.
That's fine Clownboat, but since when is the meaning of a word dependent upon your personal opinion and life experiences? Why would you not draw the context from the person who used the word?
I used a dictionary. I was not quoting a Christ in any specific context. I note your Christ promises a rested soul if he is to be believed.
Correct. I'm addressing religious promises. 72 virgins and a rested soul specifically. Why should we believe either claim? They come from the same type of source afterall.
Once again, what the meek receive has nothing to do with the meaning of the word.
Of coure it doesn't. Neither of us can show what a meek person will receive if we are to be honest. Could be 72 virgins, could be a rested soul, could be nothing. I don't pretent to know. It is only religious people that pretent to know such things.

meek
/mēk/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive.

Tam: But that's not what Christ said!
Clownboat: Don't be so heavenly as to not be any earthly good (ignoring dictionaries for the words of a Christ in a holy book).
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

tam
Savant

Post #68

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Clownboat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 pm
Clownboat wrote:Nothing you said refutes my life experiences with meekness within the church.
I used a dictionary. I was not quoting a Christ in any specific context. I note your Christ promises a rested soul if he is to be believed.
You used the dictionary definition of impose (upon). Below you provide a dictionary definition of meek (and if you provided it in the post I responded to, I missed it).

Correct. I'm addressing religious promises. 72 virgins and a rested soul specifically. Why should we believe either claim? They come from the same type of source afterall.
I'm not sure why you're addressing that to me, since I responded only to what it means to be meek. According to the way it is used in the scriptures being referenced, as well as by Christ.
meek
/mēk/
Learn to pronounce
adjective

Clownboat: Don't be so heavenly as to not be any earthly good (ignoring dictionaries for the words of a Christ in a holy book).
Submissive to God.

I provided the context of the meaning in what is written, including by the person who said also that He was meek, and what it meant to be meek giving also Moses as an example.

You feel free to accept or reject that as you choose. But if a person is interested to know what is meant, they might want to take those things into consideration. If I want to know what Christ meant by 'meek', I am not going to look to Clownboat's personal experience or even my own. I'm going to look at the meaning of the word, the context, the examples given of a meek person. As shown in my original response to you.

But to each their own.

And here are some other dictionary definitions:

1 : enduring injury with patience and without resentment : mild
2 : deficient in spirit and courage : submissive
3 : not violent or strong : moderate

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meek

(although two - deficient in spirit and courage - is clearly not what is meant, since when referring to Himself - Christ described himself as meek)

Peace again to you.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #69

Post by Clownboat »

tam wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:26 pm Peace to you,
Clownboat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:57 pm
You used the dictionary definition of impose (upon). Below you provide a dictionary definition of meek (and if you provided it in the post I responded to, I missed it).

I'm not sure why you're addressing that to me, since I responded only to what it means to be meek. According to the way it is used in the scriptures being referenced, as well as by Christ.
meek
/mēk/
Learn to pronounce
adjective

Submissive to God.

I provided the context of the meaning in what is written, including by the person who said also that He was meek, and what it meant to be meek giving also Moses as an example.

You feel free to accept or reject that as you choose. But if a person is interested to know what is meant, they might want to take those things into consideration. If I want to know what Christ meant by 'meek', I am not going to look to Clownboat's personal experience or even my own. I'm going to look at the meaning of the word, the context, the examples given of a meek person. As shown in my original response to you.

But to each their own.

And here are some other dictionary definitions:

1 : enduring injury with patience and without resentment : mild
2 : deficient in spirit and courage : submissive
3 : not violent or strong : moderate

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meek

(although two - deficient in spirit and courage - is clearly not what is meant, since when referring to Himself - Christ described himself as meek)

Peace again to you.
I'm discussing my experience with meek and I'm alluding to how cults encourage such thinking and why they do so. Why would I care what it is claimed a Jesus character might have said on the matter? He has no sway over me, so I use dictionaries to clarify the words I'm using.

Again, don't be so heavenly as to not be any earthly good here in this debate by the way, not life in general (ignoring dictionaries for the words of a Christ in a holy book).

Care to take a stab at any of my claims? Perhaps I'll need to sharpen my thinking. I would love to hear a reply:
- I'm addressing religious promises. 72 virgins and a rested soul specifically. Why should we believe either claim?
- Neither of us can show what a meek person will receive if we are to be honest. Could be 72 virgins, could be a rested soul, could be nothing. I don't pretent to know. It is only religious people that pretent to know such things.

When you decide to not address these claims, reflect on this bit please:

tam
Savant

Post #70

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to Clownboat in post #69]

I'm discussing my experience with meek and I'm alluding to how cults encourage such thinking and why they do so. Why would I care what it is claimed a Jesus character might have said on the matter?
Because the quote and the promise mentioned in the OP are from Him and His Father. So it matters what He means by the word 'meek'.

(Even if you think that it is only men who wrote that, then it would still depend upon what THEY meant by the word 'meek'.)
Care to take a stab at any of my claims? Perhaps I'll need to sharpen my thinking. I would love to hear a reply:
- I'm addressing religious promises. 72 virgins and a rested soul specifically. Why should we believe either claim?
- Neither of us can show what a meek person will receive if we are to be honest.
But we can show what Christ and His Father have promised. That is enough for me. I know them (Christ and His Father) to be true; that is my personal experience, and I do not doubt any promise (nor do I even have a reason to doubt any promise).

You are free to believe or not, accept or reject, doubt or consider, as you see fit. That is your business, it is not mine.
Could be 72 virgins, could be a rested soul, could be nothing. I don't pretent to know. It is only religious people that pretent to know such things.
You are at least pretending to know what another person can or cannot know.
When you decide to not address these claims,

Were you pretending to know that I would not address these claims when you wrote that? (I mean, seriously, you walked right into that.)
reflect on this bit please:
I actually didn't share anything about beliefs. I simply addressed the question of what it meant to be meek in the quote from the OP.

That being said, yes, being meek before God (and so also His Son) will help a person believe and accept the promise that God made.

(and I sure hope you know that not all Muslims believe they're going to receive 72 virgins)

Peace again to you.