Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Meek*

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?

*Thanks to william for the inspiration for the question
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Meek*

Post #2

Post by Clownboat »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:52 pm Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:

Being meek for the most part is not a feature one should seek to have IMO (nothing wrong with being gentle obviously).

What you refer to is religious propoganda invented to help keep the sheep in line.
Being easily imposed on and or submissive are desirable features rulers have over their subjects afterall.

If one wants to become meek, one should submit to authority (perceived or real) and be easilily taken advantage of. Don't cause a ruckus or make waves. Go with the flow.

im·pose (ĭm-pōz′)
v. im·posed, im·pos·ing, im·pos·es
v.tr.
1. To establish or apply as compulsory; levy: impose a tax.
2. To bring about by authority or force; force to prevail: impose a peace settlement.
3. To obtrude or force (oneself, for example) on another or others.
4. Printing To arrange (type or plates) on an imposing stone.
5. To offer or circulate fraudulently; pass off: imposed a fraud on consumers.
v.intr.
To force oneself on or take unfair advantage of others

Why would "I" want to be meek? I wouldn't, but if I were to rule over others, I would encourage them to be meek. The Christian religion goes as far as awarding a planet if followers will just take on these features. I wonder if it would have better luck if it offered 72 virgins instead? The things people will do for a pie in the sky. :roll:
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

For discussion:

I must admit that I am very confused about this claim. What does it mean to be meek and what does it mean to inherit the earth? If I'm meek am I gonna get a deed to the earth? If there are say 500 meek folks are they all going to inherit the earth? Wouldn't that just be a slice of the earth?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I shall make just one post, which is unrelated to the thrust of this discussion, but sets out how I regard that passage.

The 'Meek' or the 'Poor' are the ones mentioned by Paul as I seem to recall. When he was collecting for the poor, what he was doing was going round with the collection tim for the Saints in Jerusalem, because of the %$ AD Judeean famine. I think it was his way of buying credibility.

But the point is that the 'Saints', were the Jesus -(Nazorene) community in Jerusalem and maybe other places. Also known as the Ebionites, I belewive and were effectively Observant Jewish Messianists who may have beleived that Jesus would come again but did not accept Paul's scrapping of the Jewish Law so as to appeal to Getiles (and thus of course Jesus never taught any such thing and so that has to be Greek Christian invention)./

But the point is that the Meek/Poor (Ebionite Saints) would inherit the tea earth when the last Days came, the messiah came to elevate the Righteous and the rest would be either destroyed or made their slaves. That is what (to me) the Meek inheriting the earth' means and I'm willing to bet my pension on it.

Now back to you, O Interpreters of Biblical Scripture. O:)

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:10 pm

For discussion:

I must admit that I am very confused about this claim. What does it mean to be meek and what does it mean to inherit the earth? If I'm meek am I gonna get a deed to the earth? If there are say 500 meek folks are they all going to inherit the earth? Wouldn't that just be a slice of the earth?

Tcg
Good questions.
And do the meek really want the Earth? Is this yet another 'forced decision' from god like inherited sin or guilt for not accepting its sacrifice?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:12 pm I shall make just one post, which is unrelated to the thrust of this discussion, but sets out how I regard that passage.

The 'Meek' or the 'Poor' are the ones mentioned by Paul as I seem to recall. When he was collecting for the poor, what he was doing was going round with the collection tim for the Saints in Jerusalem, because of the %$ AD Judeean famine. I think it was his way of buying credibility.

But the point is that the 'Saints', were the Jesus -(Nazorene) community in Jerusalem and maybe other places. Also known as the Ebionites, I belewive and were effectively Observant Jewish Messianists who may have beleived that Jesus would come again but did not accept Paul's scrapping of the Jewish Law so as to appeal to Getiles (and thus of course Jesus never taught any such thing and so that has to be Greek Christian invention)./

But the point is that the Meek/Poor (Ebionite Saints) would inherit the tea earth when the last Days came, the messiah came to elevate the Righteous and the rest would be either destroyed or made their slaves. That is what (to me) the Meek inheriting the earth' means and I'm willing to bet my pension on it.

Now back to you, O Interpreters of Biblical Scripture. O:)
The bolded section caught my eye.
Why would these meek people (or any righteous person) need or even want others destroyed or be turned into slaves? That doesn't seem very typical 'jesus niceness' at all. :?
Nevertheless, thanks for your input!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

That's just the trickle down economics of its time.
Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!?
Kinda. Like how ya tell folks if only they'd vote for the Republicans, everybody'd get em a whole bunch more freedom.
Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).
I can't even take care of my acreage properly. I can't image the mess I'd make of all the acreage.
For discussion:
Pity sex?
I'd just put it up in hock for a great big giant doobie.
Be born poor. The odds of unbeing it wobble the mind.
I'm thankful just to've read me some of his stuff.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:52 pm What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Being meek, or humble means to me that person understands his limits, doesn't want to exploit others, doesn't make too big number of himself, doesn't demand more than is needed. I think the benefit of that is peaceful world.
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:52 pm How does one become and stay 'meek'?
I think one way is to understand the truth.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #9

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

For discussion:

You might want to take the time to read the whole chapter of Psalms 37, to find out who the "meek" represent, and how their adversary are going to be dealt with. Whereas their adversaries, the "wicked", will "perish", but until they do, the "meek" will own the land, and the "wicked" will labor to pay rent for a place to lay their heads. Apparently, there will be no rest for the wicked, and they will rail against the LORD. Case in point.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:25 am

For discussion:

You might want to take the time to read the whole chapter of Psalms 37, to find out who the "meek" represent, and how their adversary are going to be dealt with. Whereas their adversaries, the "wicked", will "perish", but until they do, the "meek" will own the land, and the "wicked" will labor to pay rent for a place to lay their heads. Apparently, there will be no rest for the wicked, and they will rail against the LORD. Case in point.
Gee me didn't think of dat?!?!
I can read the bible - again - at any time.
But I don't give a rat's pa-toot about what some dead guy thinks.
I want YOUR opinion.
If you have one.
If not, you're excused to have a pleasant weekend.