Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Meek*

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?

*Thanks to william for the inspiration for the question
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Willum
Savant

Re: Meek*

Post #121

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #120]

It is a fact Harry Potter is a wizard.
Good day to you!
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Miles
Savant

Post #122

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:20 am
Miles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:12 am
But it is fact. It's in the Epistle of Zechariah.

So let me get this right, are you saying, if something is written in the bible it is FACT ?
I only put it out as fact because that's how you regard the Bible, as a book of fact.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #123

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:58 pm

So let me get this right, are you saying, if something is written in the bible it is FACT ?
I only put it out as fact because that's how you regard the Bible, as a book of fact.

How about you speaking for yourself and leave tell me to do the same? If you do not think something is a fact, it might be best you do not say it is.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #124

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:49 pm
Miles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:58 pm

How about you speaking for yourself and leave tell me to do the same? If you do not think something is a fact, it might be best you do not say it is.
But that's exactly how I recall your regard for the Bible, as a book of fact. However, if you don't regard the Bible as a book of fact I apologize for misrepresenting you.

Although . . . . . . if I'm wrong, just how do you sort out the Bible's fact from its fiction?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #125

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:58 pm...just how do you sort out the Bible's fact from its fiction?
I use my knowledge of language and critical thinking skills. For example, when the narrative introduces a passage with the words "parable" or "illustration" I deduce that the section that follows will be a fictional tale to convey a moral or teach a point and not necessarily a historical or scientific reality.

JW

RELATED POSTS

How can you determine which parts of the bible are to be taken literally?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 95#p890395

How can you determine which parts of the bible are to be taken fictional? [this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1076525#p1076525

To learn more please see other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , HERMENEUTICS* and ... BEST TRANSLATION
* bible interpretation
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #126

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:17 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:10 am And yet, people still flock and adhere to it.
Believers talk about free will and choice, yet they use their free will and choice to CHOOSE to over look how terrible their god actually is. They justify its actions (everyone that god killed was bad and evil, even the animals (which isn't even possible; a talking and burning bush that's not consumed is possible; everyone is sinful because a book written by men, that claims it's written or inspired by god, says so; and on and on) and accept the taking of life as even as they pontificate that 'all life is precious'.
Hypocrisy.
This says something about people who can look at all this and say 'meh, it's all good' and give this thing their money, time and lives! And then expect others to adhere to this same thing?!?!
Pathetic isn't even the best word to use for this action.
I'm reminded of Stockholm Syndrome, or those who still love their abusers.

Sometimes it is, some folks just can't seem to get along without some self loathing, and some pain.
I think that is what motivates many people to, maybe not become, but stay, christians
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #127

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:50 am
Miles wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:58 pm...just how do you sort out the Bible's fact from its fiction?
I use my knowledge of language and critical thinking skills. For example, when the narrative introduces a passage with the words "parable" or "illustration" I deduce that the section that follows will be a fictional tale to convey a moral or teach a point and not necessarily a historical or scientific reality.
Hmmm, Although I do recall having seen a passage or two called a "parable," I don't remember any being labeled "illustration." Perhaps I haven't read the right Bible version. But other than such passages, I presume your knowledge of language and critical thinking skills are honed to such a degree so as to accurately sort out the Bible's other fact from its fiction, which, if being the case, would be an admission that to some extent it is fictional, and hardly deserves to be called factual. Right?----Can't very well call a book with unlabeled fiction, "factual," now can we.