Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Meek*

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?

*Thanks to william for the inspiration for the question
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Meek*

Post #81

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:47 pm
None of those things will exist They simply will not happen! The world will at long last, finally be free from suffering.
Sounds a lot like the Big Rock Candy Mountains:

"In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
There's a land that's fair and bright
Where the handouts grow on bushes
And you sleep out every night
Where the boxcars all are empty
And the sun shines every day
And the birds and the bees
And the cigarette trees
The lemonade springs
Where the bluebird sings
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains"

And both dreams are supported by equal amounts of empirical evidence. None. At least one has a snappy tune to accompany it.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #82

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm
And both dreams are supported by equal amounts of empirical evidence.
I believe that the biblical record of empirically verified reliable prophecy (1), the logical conclusion that the earth has a loving Creator (2) supports the biblical narrative for anyone that takes the time to honestly evaluate the facts (3) and benefit from personal experience of His desire to interact with righteously inclined indicviduals so they have more than enough evidence that his promises are no pipe dream.

2 PETER 3: 3, 4

First of all know this, that in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires6 and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.”

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

GOD (2) , PROPHECY (1) and ...EVOLUTION (3)
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #83

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:43 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm
And both dreams are supported by equal amounts of empirical evidence.
I believe that the biblical record of empiricaly [sic] verified reliable prophecy (1), the logical conclusion that the earth has a loving Creator (2) supports the biblical narrative for anyone that takes the time to honestly evaluate the facts (3) and benefit from personal experience of His desire to interact with righteously inclined indicviduals [sic] so they have more than enough evidence that his promises are no pipe dream.
Ah, yes. You believe. Your belief is not empirical evidence that what you believe is true. And as we know the "biblical narrative" caries no weight in this subforum. Perhaps in Sunday School or Kingdom Hall, but this is neither of those. "Big Rock Candy Mountains" carry as much weight and includes a tune one can flat dance to.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #84

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 am Your belief is not empirical evidence that what you believe is true.
Did I claim it was?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #85

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 am ...as we know the "biblical narrative" caries no weight in this subforum.
No I dont know that: prove it.

otseng wrote: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:53 am
3. For factual claims like the existence of individuals, places, and events, the Bible can be considered as providing evidence, but not necessarily conclusive evidence.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #86

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:16 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 am Your belief is not empirical evidence that what you believe is true.
Did I claim it was?
You claimed this, "I believe that the biblical record..."

Is this or is it not a claim? And note that I'm not asking if it is a valid claim, but simply if it is a claim.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #87

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:24 am
Did I claim it was?

Is this or is it not a claim? ...

I claimed to believe what I did NOT is claim my belief was empirical evidence, I pointed to the bible' s record of empirical evidence. And did I once say the Word "truth"?

Tcg
Savant

Post #88

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:27 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:24 am
Did I claim it was?

Is this or is it not a claim? And note that I'm not asking if it is a valid claim, but simply if it is a claim.

Tcg

Yes I did and which did I present as empirical evidence, my belief or the bible record? And did I once say the Word "truth"?
Let's quote you once again:

"supports the biblical narrative for anyone that takes the time to honestly evaluate the facts"

Ignoring the Ad Hominem. Yes, you attempted to use the "biblical narrative" as evidence.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #89

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:32 am ...you attempted to use the "biblical narrative" as evidence.

Tcg

Yes I did. What is wrong with that?

otseng wrote: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:53 am
3. For factual claims like the existence of individuals, places, and events, the Bible can be considered as providing evidence, but not necessarily conclusive evidence.

Tcg
Savant

Post #90

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:36 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:32 am ...you attempted to use the "biblical narrative" as evidence.

Tcg

Yes I did. What is wrong with that?

Nothing if you have no intention of providing anything verifiable.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom