Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Meek*

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?

*Thanks to william for the inspiration for the question
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Meek*

Post #91

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:47 pm Biblically, God can read hearts. If anyone has the intention to do such wicked things (and cannot be dissuaded) they will be destroyed (killed) before they can cause any harm.
Too bad God didn't read King David's heart and kill him before he committed adultery and had a true war hero murdered to cover his crime. Of course, Biblically, David got away with adultery and murder. And this from a man after God's own heart.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #92

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:47 pm None of those things will exist They simply will not happen! The world will at long last, finally be free from suffering.
Here's another version of "heaven." It is from the text of the "Talking Heads." It carries as much weight as any other tale from any other text.

"Heaven (Heaven) is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens
Heaven (Heaven)
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens"

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #93

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:21 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 am ...as we know the "biblical narrative" caries no weight in this subforum.
No I dont know that: prove it.

otseng wrote: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:53 am
3. For factual claims like the existence of individuals, places, and events, the Bible can be considered as providing evidence, but not necessarily conclusive evidence.
You've obviously overlooked this:
"7. For debates purely on theology with the assumption that the Bible is an authoritative source, please consider posting in the Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma subforum.

If you choose to debate in this sub-forum you are REQUIRED to honor the Guidelines. Notice specifically that the Bible can be used ONLY to show what the bible says and what Christianity says. It cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true."
It's astonishingly straightforward.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #94

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:37 am

You've obviously overlooked this:
"7. For debates purely on theology with the assumption that the Bible is an authoritative source, please consider posting in the Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma subforum.

If you choose to debate in this sub-forum you are REQUIRED to honor the Guidelines. Notice specifically that the Bible can be used ONLY to show what the bible says and what Christianity says. It cannot be used to prove that a statement or story is true."
Tcg
No, I did not overlook the above - my post was not {quote} "purely on theology with the assumption that the Bible is an authoritative" and at no point did I attempt to "used [the bible] prove that a statement or story [in the bible] true." I simply presented it as evidence to challenge your implied suggestion that no more evidence exists to support the bible narrative than does for a dream.

Your cartoon and your pop song have been duly noted.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #95

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:39 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:36 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:32 am ...you attempted to use the "biblical narrative" as evidence.

Tcg

Yes I did. What is wrong with that?

Nothing if you have no intention of providing anything verifiable.

Tcg

The existence of biblical prophecies is entirely verifiable as we have maniscripts and copies of the biblical canon's contents in museums and libraries all around the world. Any claimed reliability of said texts can also be verified by an examination and analysis of historical records.

This the evidence I refered to is verifiable.

VERIFIABLE (adjective)

Able to be checked
or demonstrated to be true, accurate, or justified

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Clownboat
Savant

Post #96

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:27 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:24 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:16 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 am Your belief is not empirical evidence that what you believe is true.
Did I claim it was?
You claimed this, "I believe that the biblical record..."

Is this or is it not a claim? ...

I claimed to believe what I did NOT is claim my belief was empirical evidence, I pointed to the bible' s record of empirical evidence. And did I once say the Word "truth"?
If any of us here on this forum wanted to know what you believed, we could simply go to the Watchtower Society website and find out.
It seems really important to you for some reason to continue sharing your beliefs though.

As a Christian, we were encouraged to street evangelize as it helped to bolster our faith. Is this what is going on here? A faith building exercise?

I ask because, would find it interesting if a Muslim for example kept posting their beliefs here?

Seems to be:
A belief is stated.
It is stated as a belief, and therefore cannot be challenged as we are free to believe whatever we want.
There is no point in challenging things you believe but not enough to claim to be true. Thus I wonder the point of it all.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #97

Post by nobspeople »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:14 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:27 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:24 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:16 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:14 am Your belief is not empirical evidence that what you believe is true.
Did I claim it was?
You claimed this, "I believe that the biblical record..."

Is this or is it not a claim? ...

I claimed to believe what I did NOT is claim my belief was empirical evidence, I pointed to the bible' s record of empirical evidence. And did I once say the Word "truth"?
If any of us here on this forum wanted to know what you believed, we could simply go to the Watchtower Society website and find out.
It seems really important to you for some reason to continue sharing your beliefs though.

As a Christian, we were encouraged to street evangelize as it helped to bolster our faith. Is this what is going on here? A faith building exercise?

I ask because, would find it interesting if a Muslim for example kept posting their beliefs here?

Seems to be:
A belief is stated.
It is stated as a belief, and therefore cannot be challenged as we are free to believe whatever we want.
There is no point in challenging things you believe but not enough to claim to be true. Thus I wonder the point of it all.
I believe most, if not every christian, on this site is here for up to three reasons:
1) to booster their faith/make themselves feel better about their faith/self
2) argue
3) talk down to others/socialize with co-believers.

Personally, I haven't seen many that learn from each other (though that's not out of the question). I've been struck recently with how few threads are started by believers - though that may be my limited viewing of the site as a whole (but I doubt it). But that, to me, is telling. As if believers think there's nothing more to know or ask. Perhaps that's a biasness on my part, having been a believer for a long time while being encourage NOT to ask too many questions.

That said, I appreciate a believer offering their beliefs, even if I could go look them up myself. To me, it sees more personable if a person offers them, other than a cold site (though, copy and paste doesn't cut it for me). But that doesn't mean said belief can't (or shouldn't) be challenged.
The flip side of that coin is, at times, these responses are simple tripe that's regurgitated without any personal touch. That's a fine line not all people have yet mastered.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #98

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:52 pm Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?
nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:47 pm
I believe ...

You WHAT? ! You "believe"?? Are you about to state what you BELIEVE on a particular question? Really? In this subforum? Are writing a sentence which starts with the words "I believe ..."?!

I believe ...

Okay, ... tell us what you believe, but I feel compelled to say, you might be better off using a synonym (I think/in my opinion/the way I see it...) because in my personal experience some find those two words ("I believe") particularly triggering depending on who their special pleading is directed at. Anyway, do share what you "believe", I do .

I believe most, if not every christian, on this site is here for up to three reasons:

Interesting belief, thanks for sharing.

JW

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #99

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #98]

Which is it?
You say
tell us what you believe,

Then go on to say
Interesting belief, thanks for sharing.
:drunk:

Tcg
Savant

Post #100

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:13 am
Your cartoon and your pop song have been duly noted.
It's not my cartoon nor is it my pop song.

Both however reveal the source of all such dreams and wishes. There is no verifiable evidence that any of the versions of paradise that humans have dreamed of have any basis in reality. What we do know is that some humans wish for something better and find comfort in the idea that a paradise awaits somewhere down the road.

Some express this wish by creating country songs about hobos and eventually animation to illustrate them. Others create post-punk art pop songs. Some even rely on religious myth to provide comfort and wish fulfilment. None should be expected to represent reality. They are dreams after all. Their function is to serve the dreamers in the here and now and all serve that function equally well if one only believes in the fantasy of their choosing.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom