Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Meek*

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:
What's the benefit of being 'meek' outside of 'planet ownership'?
Do the meek want the Earth?
How does one become and stay 'meek'?

*Thanks to william for the inspiration for the question
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Meek*

Post #101

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:54 pm There is no verifiable evidence that any of the versions of paradise that humans have dreamed of have any basis in reality.
Your point referenced biblical prophecy not versions of paradise. I have presented several sources of evidence to refute your claim that there is no more support for bible prophecy than a dream. You have posted some country music.

As for my belief on the biblical paradise I was answering a direct theological question. If you feel the need to sanction the question as being misplaced I am more than happy to point you in the direction of the individual responsible for asking.

brunumb wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:13 pm Please explain how people will be prevented from doing any of that. ....

If your point is that brunumb has the right to ask the question in this subforum but nobody has the right to answer it, feel free to state that clearly so we can all know how to respond to questions asking about beliefs on theological topics of this kind in this in future.

In the meantime I will point you in the direction of the OP which begins with a scripture from the bible and essentially asks (in the light of biblical prophecy) what people believe are the implications of the bible text. Essentially imho a theological question.

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:52 pm Psalms 37:11
“But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.”

Is this supposed to be a motivating factor!? Do 'the meek' want to inherit the Earth? Seems it may be more work than it's worth. Unless god 'cleans' up the Earth first (which, with its anger and insecurity issues, it might just do).

For discussion:

How does one become and stay 'meek'?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Overcomer
Guru

Post #102

Post by Overcomer »

The Beatitudes are part of Christ's Sermon on the Mount. Bible Scholar Craig Keener says the sermon talks about the "repentant lifestyle that characterizes the Kingdom of God" (See his IVP Bible Background Commentary on the New Testament). The form used (Blessed are those who . . . for they shall . . . .) is common in Jewish literature so Matthew's audience would have been familiar with it.

The key to understanding the "blessed is the meek" beatitude rests in one's understanding of the word "meek". Some people associate it with lack of power, seeing "meek" as "weak", but that isn't what it's about at all. The word "meek" refers to power that is harnessed for its maximum potential for the maximum of good, power harnessed to bless others, as opposed to power that is out of control or power used selfishly and indiscriminately.

Some have used the analogy of a Clydesdale horse. It is incredibly strong, but that strength is only a blessing when it is harnessed. Power, in and of itself, is useless.

The same is true of the Christian believer. When his/her ability is guided by the Holy Spirit, it can be used productively, to bless others.

I'm a baseball fan so, to put it in human terms, consider this. I might be able to throw a 100-mile-an-hour fastball, but if I have no control and can't get it anywhere near home plate, then what good is that ability? I would be wise to get coaches who know what they're doing to help me learn how to control that power so I can use it properly and effectively.

As for the line about inheriting the earth, Jesus' listeners would have understood the eschatological nature of that phrase. At Christ's Second Coming, during his millennial reign, these are the people who will provide leadership under him. Given the definition of meek, we can understand why they will be given this privilege. It's because they have recognized that living according to God's plan is the best way to live. In other words, they are willing to allow their power to be harnessed because choosing to hand the reins to someone who has everyone's best interests at heart is just that -- a choice. God does not coerce people into the job.

Again, I stress that meekness is NOT weakness, but strength brought under control for the good of all. However, it may go against the grain in a society caught up in independence and self-sufficiency where people are unwilling to give up any kind of autonomy even when it would be more beneficial for them as well as for those around them to do so.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #103

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:10 am And yet, people still flock and adhere to it.
Believers talk about free will and choice, yet they use their free will and choice to CHOOSE to over look how terrible their god actually is. They justify its actions (everyone that god killed was bad and evil, even the animals (which isn't even possible; a talking and burning bush that's not consumed is possible; everyone is sinful because a book written by men, that claims it's written or inspired by god, says so; and on and on) and accept the taking of life as even as they pontificate that 'all life is precious'.
Hypocrisy.
This says something about people who can look at all this and say 'meh, it's all good' and give this thing their money, time and lives! And then expect others to adhere to this same thing?!?!
Pathetic isn't even the best word to use for this action.
I'm reminded of Stockholm Syndrome, or those who still love their abusers.

Sometimes it is, some folks just can't seem to get along without some self loathing, and some pain.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #104

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:17 pm Sometimes it is, some folks just can't seem to get along without some self loathing, and some pain.
Self loathing has a function as well. Humans, well a bunch of them, want to understand why things happen. If they blame themselves for what goes wrong they've found an answer to the "why." This conclusion may bring pain, but it allows them to avoid the reality that all kinds of things happen that neither they nor anyone else has control over. For some, "it's my fault" is easier to accept than "ain't nobody in control."

It seems to me that humans' beliefs can in many cases be understood by asking the question, "how does this make humans feel better." The answer to that question will usually get you closer to understanding why certain beliefs are held rather than asking about the evidence that supports the beliefs. Evidence often becomes secondary (if even that high) to the function the belief serves just as we see with the concept that the meek will inherit the earth.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #105

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:39 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:17 pm Sometimes it is, some folks just can't seem to get along without some self loathing, and some pain.
Self loathing has a function as well. Humans, well a bunch of them, want to understand why things happen. If they blame themselves for what goes wrong they've found an answer to the "why." This conclusion may bring pain, but it allows them to avoid the reality that all kinds of things happen that neither they nor anyone else has control over. For some, "it's my fault" is easier to accept than "ain't nobody in control."

It seems to me that humans' beliefs can in many cases be understood by asking the question, "how does this make humans feel better." The answer to that question will usually get you closer to understanding why certain beliefs are held rather than asking about the evidence that supports the beliefs. Evidence often becomes secondary (if even that high) to the function the belief serves just as we see with the concept that the meek will inherit the earth.

Tcg
Very well put. Humans, what a lot :)

That's one reason I like to challenge claims we all know danged well can't find em no truth. I think non/responses can indicate the pros and cons of how a claimant thinks, and offers us the ability to better consider anything they have to allow. We'll, that and my being a bit of a troll.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #106

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:39 pm

Tcg
Emphasis MINE

Thank you for your opinion (it seems to me ) contribution talking about the theological topic of the nature of beliefs. It seems you feel comfortable voicing your opinion on what people (humans) believe and why in relation to the biblical promise that the meek will inherit the earth. I notice you offered no proof as to whether the bible is true or not. No references supporting your view, no evidence whatsoever, you shared your opinion on why people believe the bible .

I am now going to do the same as you : give my opinion on what people (humans) believe and why in relation to the biblical promise that "the meek will inherit the earth."

Firstly how shall I begin? Shall I say It seems to me as you did or shall I opt for ...."I am of the opinion" "from my point of view" or ... "I believe" ... I think I will not start my comment with "it seems to me" as you did but with a loose equivalent .... [TRIGGER ALERT!] "...I believe " (thanking nobspeope for that idea). So... let me start again.. ..

I believe humans .... no I am going to be more specific and talk about a group of humans I feel more confident speaking about.... Jehovahs Witnesses (who are human), believe: Jehovahs Witnesses believe the bible promises of the meek inheriting the the earth because they feel /believe/ it seems to them/there is a sufficient amount of evidence .... STOP!

I have changed my mind , I am not going to give my opinion on all Jehovahs Witnesses. Since I am human I am going to speak about why I believe but again like you I am just going to present my view. Let me have a close look at your comment so I don't do anything others (yourself included) haven't done ....and start again ....

I believe the promise of the meek inheriting the earth because I firmly believe it is true. I am convinced by the evidence presented in the bible and believe a planet with only meek people will be a delight to live on.
I see you have also posted a music video to support one of your posts without sanction. I think I'll do the same as you...

Have a great weekend!

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Miles
Savant

Post #107

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:24 am
I believe the promise of the meek inheriting the earth because I firmly believe it is true.
"I believe because I believe." Cool. :approve:

I am convinced by the evidence presented in the bible . . . .
Just what

ev·i·dence
/ˈevədəns/
noun: evidence
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

is that?

and believe a planet with only meek people will be a delight to live on.
What's so delightful about a planet full of meek

meek
/mēk/
adjective: meek; comparative adjective: meeker; superlative adjective: meekest
quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive.

people?

You do realize, do you not, that if only meek people inherit the Earth there won't be anyone to impose on them or make them submit to anything, and consequently they won't be able to express their meekness and will likely not be all that happy.

Boy, unhappy meek people. Kind of frightening if you ask me. Image

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Image

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #108

Miles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:45 am

and believe a planet with only meek people will be a delight to live on.
What's so delightful about a planet full of meek

Even given the lack of ponctuation this sounds like a request for opinion ; are you in fact asking me for my opinion. I warn you my opinion is based on my interpretation of the biblical promise; thus my response will refer to scripture.

Please verify if you are requestinhg my personal bible based opinion to be posted in this subforum or are you requesting scientific peer reviewed proof of what is {quote} "delightful about a planet full of meek"?

Clarification not expected but nevertheless requested.

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #109

You do realize, do you not, that if only meek people inherit the Earth there won't be anyone to impose on them or make them submit to anything, and consequently they won't be able to express their meekness and will likely not be all that happy.
I appreciate your contribution but I also noted it seems completely void of any scientific peer reviewed verifiable evidence. In fact it looks a lot like you have posted what you believe to be true about the bible promise.

In short you have just posted what you think/envision/believe... life would be like if the meek do inherit the earth as promised in scripture.

Maybe I am mistake, because if you can post what you believe about the biblical promise I should be able to do the same.

Clarification appreciated,

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #110

I am convinced by the evidence presented in the bible . . . .
Just what

ev·i·dence
/ˈevədəns/
noun: evidence
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

is that?
The information (aka evidence) in the bible I am refering to is its candor and convincing presentation of character, its accurate historical, scientific and prophetic details and above all the profound portrayal by four independent biographers of the life and ministry of Jesus of Narareth.

JW

Personal Blog: Evidence v proof
https://fosterheologicalreflections.blo ... ience.html

RELATED POSTS
What is evidence?
viewtopic.php?p=942218#p942218

What is verifiable evidence?
viewtopic.php?p=956688#p956688

How does proof differ from evidence?
viewtopic.php?p=950455#p950455

Is there empiracle evidence of the gospel miracles?
viewtopic.php?p=974565#p974565

Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence?
viewtopic.php?p=330870#p330870

Go to other posts related to...

BIBLE COMPILATION , BIBLICAL EVIDENCE and ... BIBLE AUTHORSHIP & TRANSMISSION