Easter Traditions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Easter Traditions?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Are there any Easter Traditions that are related specifically to Jesus' resurrection? The Easter eggs hunts, bunnies and pastel-colored candies seem to be a celebration of spring. Certainly, sermons will be preached on Jesus' resurrection, but are there any Easter Traditions that Christians practice with their families that are focused on Jesus?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Easter Traditions?

Post #201

Post by JoeyKnothead »

pjharrison57 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:18 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #36]

There are only two ways to live. Either by God or by the devil. The devil is the ruler of this world.
If only there were some means by which we could come to trust you speak truth.

I don't know, evidence might be a way.

I absolutely reject the notion that since I don't live how some bible promoter thinks I oughta, that I'm in league with mean ol Satan.

The liar lies and the preacher preaches.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #202

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:13 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:45 pm

(1) yes, #171 quotes your mention of 'the TEMPLE BASED festival of unleaven bread. " Which as i pointed out (as you did) was week long and not something that had not yet been 'eaten' but would be eaten after the Friday events.
If you are claiming in the first century the festival of unleaven bread started on the 14th , not the 15th that seems to be untrue , see post #131

RELATED POSTS

Was the Passover (sedar) meal the ONLY religious (ceremonial) meal eaten during the Passover season?
viewtopic.php?p=1082290#p1082290
:D That is trying to stuff a strawman in my mouth and no mistake. The Only point I am making is that your Matzoh -feast is week long and not a special feast that the priests had to stay clean to eat after the day of the trial. You have to show that was a particular feast to prepare for (just as the preparation for the Seder) and if you can't, the best theory is that John thought the Passover was to be eaten after the Friday. In which case John contradicts the Synoptic version, and not for the first time.

The ball is in your court and you won't insult me again by trying to pull clumsy attempts at misdirection. Validate your bread feast or admit you have no validation. Oh, and please stop referring back to previous invalidated posts as though they were your validation.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #203

Post by JehovahsWitness »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:15 am The Only point I am making is that your Matzoh -feast is week long and not a special feast that the priests had to stay clean to eat after the day of the trial.
If by "your your Matzoh feast" you are refering to my references to the festival of unleaven bread it was indeed a week (7days) long -> See post #91 . The Priests themselves are reported by John as saying they had to stay clean for it.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:15 am. Validate your bread feast or admit you have no validation
See above
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:15 am You have to show that was a particular feast to prepare for (just as the preparation for the Seder) ...
Not really; it was "preparation day" thats all that needs to be established. Preparation day was how the Jews refered to the day before a Sabbath (see Mark 15:42) ; All four gospels have Jesus die on "preparation day"; obviously if it was Preparation day there was preparation to be done (its in the name). That that particular Sabbath fell in the first day of the week long festival of unfermented bread only adds to what is already established by the appellation.

NOTE : Nisan 15, although not explicitly called a Sabbath, was "Sabbatical" in nature as prescribed by Leviticus 23:6 , 7 which reads : "On the 15th day of this month is the Festival of Unleavened Bread to Jehovah. Seven days you should eat unleavened bread. On the first day, you will observe a holy convention. You should not do any hard work"

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE PASSOVER, THE MOSAIC LAW COVENANT and ... SABBATH KEEPING
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #204

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:11 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:15 am The Only point I am making is that your Matzoh -feast is week long and not a special feast that the priests had to stay clean to eat after the day of the trial.
If by "your your Matzoh feast" you are refering to my references to the festival of unleaven bread it was indeed a week (7days) long -> See post #91 . The Priests themselves are reported by John as saying they had to stay clean for it.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:15 am. Validate your bread feast or admit you have no validation
See above
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:15 am You have to show that was a particular feast to prepare for (just as the preparation for the Seder) ...
Not really; it was "preparation day" thats all that needs to be established. Preparation day was how the Jews refered to the day before a Sabbath (see Mark 15:42) ; All four gospels have Jesus die on "preparation day"; obviously if it was Preparation day there was preparation to be done (its in the name). That that particular Sabbath fell in the first day of the week long festival of unfermented bread only adds to what is already established by the appellation.

NOTE : Nisan 15, although not explicitly called a Sabbath, was "Sabbatical" in nature as prescribed by Leviticus 23:6 , 7 which reads : "On the 15th day of this month is the Festival of Unleavened Bread to Jehovah. Seven days you should eat unleavened bread. On the first day, you will observe a holy convention. You should not do any hard work"

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE PASSOVER, THE MOSAIC LAW COVENANT and ... SABBATH KEEPING

:roll: I needn't say too much more here other than don't waste all our time referring back to debunked posts. But you totally give yourself away here: "it was "preparation day" thats all that needs to be established." If that is what all that was said we wouldn't even be having this argument. It would be taken as preparation for the Sabbath. But you leave out that the priests had to remain undefiled so they might eat the Passover - 18 28/9 That is very specific about a meal that has to be eaten - not the for Sabbath nor just for the week long bread -feast, but more likely for the Passover that everyone talks about - the Seder that everyone eats, unless you can show there was a later feast a day or so after the Seder - that 'Temple feast' that you dropped a big hint must exist. Show that or you show nothing but your ability to snip text out of context.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #205

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 pm
"it was "preparation day" thats all that needs to be established." If that is what all that was said we wouldn't even be having this argument. It would be taken as preparation for the Sabbath. But you leave out that the priests had to remain undefiled so they might eat the Passover ....
That, as I said is a plus (John giving us more information than the other gospels). In short a Preparation day (day before a sabbath) that was eveidently also the day before a Holy Convention (which was "sabattical" in nature -- See NOTE post #203 ).

As for your point about the meal(s) (later feasts) See post #87

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #206

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 pm
"it was "preparation day" thats all that needs to be established." If that is what all that was said we wouldn't even be having this argument. It would be taken as preparation for the Sabbath. But you leave out that the priests had to remain undefiled so they might eat the Passover ....
That, as I said is a plus (John giving us more information than the other gospels). In short a Preparation day (day before a sabbath) that was eveidently also the day before a Holy Convention (which was "sabattical" in nature -- See NOTE post #203 ).

As for your point about the meal(s) (later feasts) See post #87
This is mere waffle that betrays that you cannot make a case for a feast to be eaten after the Seder. The sabbath is not a particular thing to be 'eaten'. That is the Passover Seder. That is what John appears to be talking about in Chapter 18. You clearly can't do that or you would have done it by now instead of wriggling and referring back to debunked posts. I'm going to do you a favor and say that an apologist could argue that the Priests had to stay undefiled for the Passover week that they were eating every day after the Seder on the Thursday ( getting into the evening). I'd still argue that it looks more like John is referring to the specific Passover feast, but this is not the toughest contradiction to explain and the main point has been to watch your attempted misdirections and evasions rather than being honest about the pros and cons.

I hope for your sake that you won't be tempted to crow 'Hah! So you admit that you were wrong!!" Not even a JW would do nthat.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #207

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm ..you cannot make a case for a feast to be eaten after the Seder. ...
Except I just have.

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm..an apologist could argue that the Priests had to stay undefiled for the Passover week that they were eating every day after the Seder ...

That is correct.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm.. ... I'd still argue that it looks more like John is referring to the specific Passover feast...

That Sir is your perrogative.

JW

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #208

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:12 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm ..you cannot make a case for a feast to be eaten after the Seder. ...
Except I just have.

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm..an apologist could argue that the Priests had to stay undefiled for the Passover week that they were eating every day after the Seder ...

That is correct.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:17 pm.. ... I'd still argue that it looks more like John is referring to the specific Passover feast...

That Sir is your perrogative.

JW
You owe me one (not that I can expect to collect) because you never made that excuse until I proposed it. You were arguing for a separate Temple feast, not saying 'well they had to stay ritually clean for the whole week' until I suggested it, and there is still the problem that they still (according to John) had to eat a Passover they'd been eating since Thursday, so the excuse doesn't really wash, does it? But if you are going to ignore such things and prefer to go with inadequate or indeed irrelevant and already debunked apologetics, that is Your prerogative.

P.s I almost missed this:

trans
..you cannot make a case for a feast to be eaten after the Seder. ...
Jw -"Except I just have."
You haven't. You made a claim for a later temple feast but made no case for it. And now by leaping on my provided apologetic and pretending it was what you'd been saying all along, you are denying that you were ever making a case for a later feast, even though you hadn't.

I'd say that was a crash and burn.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #209

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 am...You were arguing for a separate Temple feast ...
If by ... " a separate Temple feast" , you mean I was pointing out the fact that there was indeed a week long festival of unleaven bread then yes, I was. -> See post #87
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 am...you are denying that you were ever making a case for a later feast ..
Not at all; see above.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 amYou made a claim for a later temple feast but made no case for it.
-> See post #91

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 am... and there is still the problem that they still (according to John) had to eat a Passover they'd been eating since Thursday
I do not believe Jesus last Sedar meal was eaten on a Thursday, but rather on the Friday. As for eating "the Passover they'd been eating since [Friday]", the term "Passover" can indeed be used as an umbrella term which encompasses both the Sedar and the following festival . See post #85
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:13 am, edited 10 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #210

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 amYou were ... not saying 'well they had to stay ritually clean for the whole week'
I did not focus on ritual uncleaness because the discussion was not what rendered people ritualistically unclean, but rather, "Can John's account of the events at the end of Jesus life (more particularly the Passover events), be harmonizes with the synoptics"?

That said, obviously in addressing John 18:28, the question was: "For which festival did the Priests wish to remain ritualy clean ?" Back in post #87 I quoted to the Jewish Biblical scholar Alfred Edersheim who wrote ..
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:22 pm
"A voluntary peace offering was made on Passover and another, a compulsory one, on the next day, Nisan 15, the first day of the Festival of Unfermented Cakes. It was this second offering that the Jews were afraid they might not be able to eat if they contracted defilement in the judgment hall of Pilate" ” The Temple, 1874, pp. 186, 187

NOTE : Interestingly there is a biblical provision to delay the Sedar meal in case of uncleaness while there is no such provision for the Festival.