Easter Traditions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Easter Traditions?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Are there any Easter Traditions that are related specifically to Jesus' resurrection? The Easter eggs hunts, bunnies and pastel-colored candies seem to be a celebration of spring. Certainly, sermons will be preached on Jesus' resurrection, but are there any Easter Traditions that Christians practice with their families that are focused on Jesus?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Easter Traditions?

Post #21

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Difflugia wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:59 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:30 pmThe Jewish Sabbath is from sunset to sunset. The pagan day of Saturn, Saturday, is from midnight to midnight. Two different time periods. The day begins/dawns in the evening.
Whatever you say.
Genesis sets the standard for the period of the day. The Jewish outlook uses that as their standard.
https://www.yeshiva.co/ask/7469

Clownboat
Savant

Post #22

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:34 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:56 pm Are there any Easter Traditions that are related specifically to Jesus' resurrection? The Easter eggs hunts, bunnies and pastel-colored candies seem to be a celebration of spring. ...

Tcg
I dont believe so, which is why we Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Easter. One has to wonder that people have not linked spring, eggs and RABBITS with fertility rituals.

To read more, please go to to other posts related to

CHRISTMAS , .EASTER and ... HALLOWEEN
What holidays are you allowed to celebrate (without the possibility of being disfellowshipped that is)? I ask as I don't believe Easter is special when it comes to your religion, but admit I may be wrong here.
What if there was a work 'Christmas' party, could you go? What if they changed it to be called a 'work party'? Could you go then?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:40 pm What if there was a work 'Christmas' party, could you go? What if they changed it to be called a 'work party'?

I don't wish to celebrate anything that I believe sincerely will displease my God. It would be hypocritical for me to say I don't celebrate Easter (or Christmas) and then go to a party designated to celebrate that very thing. I have always taken "work" parties on a case by case basis.

JW

RELATED POSTS

To read more, please go to to other posts related to

CHRISTMAS , .EASTER and ... HALLOWEEN
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bjs1
Sage

Post #24

Post by bjs1 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:16 am
bjs1 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:47 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:40 am

I've never heard of this. Do you have a bible verse upon which this tradition (?) Is based? Apart from being outside what exactly does this entail?

Thanks,
post 15, Miles gave a demonstration of how common the practice is. It seems to come from the fact that according to all four Gospels the women approached the empty tomb around dawn - setting out while it was still dark and arriving just after sunrise. (Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, Matthew 28:1, John 20:1).

Thanks. I'm sure the women were also carrying spices and wearing veils but I doubt everyone in the services sees the need to copy that too. I was more wondering if participants were interpreting some biblical mandate or could refer to something Jesus said that indicated Christians should incorporate an annual (?) "reenactment" of the Sunday morning events into ceremony.

JW
This is a tradition, not a mandate. There is no command in the Bible requiring participation in an Easter Sunrise service. I like the tradition, but all Christians are free to participate or refrain as they see fit.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

bjs1 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:35 pm
This is a tradition, not a mandate. There is no command in the Bible requiring participation in an Easter Sunrise service. I like the tradition, but all Christians are free to participate or refrain as they see fit.

Fair enough. My take is it is problematic in relation to Christian unity for individuals or groups to create ceremonies that where not are commanded by Jesus. If one adds enough of them you will have yourself a whole new religion; one unrecognisable from that practiced by first century Christians.

MARK 6: 7, 8

They worship Me in vain; they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’ You have disregarded the commandment of God to keep the tradition of men

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:47 pm

Fair enough. My take is it is problematic in relation to Christian unity for individuals or groups to create cceremonies that where not are commanded by Jesus. If one adds enough of them you will have yourself a whole new religion; one unrecognisable from that practiced by first century Christians.

MARK 6: 7, 8

They worship Me in vain; they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’ You have disregarded the commandment of God to keep the tradition of men

JW
Why any deity worth anything would demand or command a ceremony or ritual smacks of human need, not something a supreme deity would want or need IMO.
Should just be able to 'love' what entity you want and if it demands something from you for something in return, then move on to something that loves you for being you, not what you can do for it.
Just my 2¢
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Post #27

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:47 pm
Fair enough. My take is it is problematic in relation to Christian unity for individuals or groups to create ceremonies that where not are commanded by Jesus. If one adds enough of them you will have yourself a whole new religion; one unrecognisable from that practiced by first century Christians.
Jesus reportedly said, "Do this in remembrance of me." He didn't specify what time of the day to do or not do this. He also didn't specify where to do this. However, if we are to base all practices on what first century Christians did, we know it wouldn't be in a building erected for Christians to meet.

Early churches met in houses. To build a place to meet in is creating a whole new tradition; one unrecognizable from that practiced by first century Christians.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:30 am How it relates to jesus? The rising sun I suspect. Maybe the cinnamon rolls?
Seems like it shoulda been donuts.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:27 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:30 am How it relates to jesus? The rising sun I suspect. Maybe the cinnamon rolls?
Seems like it shoulda been donuts.
Because the jesus story is full of holes?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #30

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:03 am
Jesus reportedly said, "Do this in remembrance of me." He didn't specify what time of the day to do or not do this.
He didnt have to; he specifically wanted until the Jewish passover meal to inaugorate said commanded ceremony:
LUKE 22:15

Jesus said, “I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins.
The First century Christians (under the leadership of the Apotles) understood this "new" ceremony to be an annual event as was the Passover.

1 CORINTHIANS 11: 23, 24

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night on which he was going to be betrayed took a loaf, and after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body, which is in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me
There is no question this all happened on the 14th day of the Jewish month of NISAN. Time : after sunset

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:03 am He also didn't specify where to do this.

No. Which is why the location is irrelevant. Jesus found a room big enough for him and his chosen friends so it would be appropriate for those following the model to use any space large enough to accommodante invitees*. That is what Jehovahs Witnesses do for that particular ceremony.

* Note for the past 2 years Jehovahs Witnesses observed the memorial of Christs death in their homes as because of Covid restrictions large gatering were not possible.