The Biblically Minded

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Biblically Minded

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Can the mind-set of the biblically minded be generalized that they are better understood in some coherent context?

For example.

Are they generally heterosexual?
Do they consider YHWH to be Masculine in their imagery of HIM?
Do they idolize the Bible?

What other general characteristics can be added to this list, re the OPQ?

*Thanks to nobspeople for the inspiration for the thread question

William
Savant

Re: The Biblically Minded

Post #11

Post by William »

theophile wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:24 am
William wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:03 am [Replying to Tcg in post #5]
There is no generalized mindset of those who follow the Bible.
Three have been identified so far.

1: They are generally heterosexual.
2: They consider YHWH to be Masculine in their imagery of HIM.
3: They idolize the Bible
Given that we are on the receiving end of 1000s of years of patriarchal tradition that pushed biblical interpretation in these directions, I would say that yes, this is *generally* the case.

But if we cast off that inheritance, while I would certainly concede that the bible makes points on gender (that we are created male and female), and sexuality (such as the condemnation of homosexuality in the law), I am not convinced that these are the final words on the matter.

For example, while created male and female, there is nothing to preclude the emergence of new genders or the proliferation of gender identities. In fact, I think that multiplicity of expression of life is in tune with the deeper biblical purpose.

Also, while the law condemns homosexuality, Christians are no longer under the law but grace. Which creates new openings here as well, I think, to view the full range of human sexuality in this deeper context as well. i.e., as a good thing, since it means that life can express itself and be in all its myriad forms.
I would say that the general [as identified] Christians of Christianity would disagree with you here and probably even claim that you are not a "true Christian".

Perhaps that is something else to add to the list;

"Anyone who does not agree with;

"The superior YHWH-chosen position of the heterosexual.
Consider YHWH to be Masculine.
Idolizing the Bible.

are not Christians"

Depart from any of those, and deny Christ.
Last edited by William on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #10]
You bring up good points Nobspeople
Always! ;)
the appearance of being loving may be an outward display which does not represent the inner turmoil of hate.
Yes, though some do hide it better than others. :D Maybe it's a coping mechanism or maybe they just don't want to 'air their dirty laundry'. Then there are those that make trouble wherever they go for kicks, but that's a different story I'd wager.
Christians that do break those chains and stand up for lovingkindness, acceptance and understanding may indeed not harbor ill-will for those who are not oriented the same way as they are, sexually - or who consider The Mother equally with The Father in relation to YHWH, or who in no way idolize the bible as their only source of relevant information that trumps all contradicting information.
Absolutely. And I believe these people don't get near enough attention paid to their actions - most attention seems to go to those other folk.
What is this darkness and why is it their being proclaimed to be of YHWH and YHWH proclaimed as "GOD"?
Maybe darkness is god? :?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #12]
What is this darkness and why is it their being proclaimed to be of YHWH and YHWH proclaimed as "GOD"?
Once I would have agreed with you therein.

But I have gotten to know GOD [thanks to YHWH too] and in that have found that both the light and darkness are GOD - just like Mother and Father and just like Male and Female and just like the many are one.

Some are obviously operating from GODS light and others in GODS shadow - but even so, it is all GOD.

And thus is all GOOD. :)

Except that how can GOD make a shadow unless there is light behind Her Him It?

The Hermit :)

The "problem" with humanity is that it doesn't fully appreciate the significance...even non-theistic enterprise has it shadows where personalities play the game from...

"GOD is everywhere baby..." [said in an Austin Powers voice]

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:12 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #12]
Once I would have agreed with you therein.

But I have gotten to know GOD [thanks to YHWH too] and in that have found that both the light and darkness are GOD - just like Mother and Father and just like Male and Female and just like the many are one.

Some are obviously operating from GODS light and others in GODS shadow - but even so, it is all GOD.

And thus is all GOOD. :)

Except that how can GOD make a shadow unless there is light behind Her Him It?

The Hermit :)

The "problem" with humanity is that it doesn't fully appreciate the significance...even non-theistic enterprise has it shadows where personalities play the game from...

"GOD is everywhere baby..." [said in an Austin Powers voice]
I find it easy to believe god is everywhere when god is so ambiguous
Yes "Mark" knows what god is, but "Beth" days he's wrong and she's right.
And so on.
Until god steps down from its lofty perch (if it's real) and laws out definite proof, all else is, at the very least, imaginary.

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #14]
Until god steps down from its lofty perch (if it's real) and laws out definite proof, all else is, at the very least, imaginary.
Not the subject of this thread. I understand the reasons behind the thought expressed. I literally see GOD is everything, so for me, it is more than just "imaginary".

Even if Jesus does return...we shall have to cross that bridge when it happens - until then, such remain in the place of the imagination...

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:35 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #14]
Not the subject of this thread. I understand the reasons behind the thought expressed. I literally see GOD is everything, so for me, it is more than just "imaginary".

Even if Jesus does return...we shall have to cross that bridge when it happens - until then, such remain in the place of the imagination...
You're correct - it's not the subject (though that doesn't make it any less accurate). And no where did I claim it is the thread subject, to clarify. It is part of an evolving conversation in reference to the thread topic.
However, to be honest, anyone can see anything in anything, doesn't make it real.
That said, if that 'works' for the individual, and they don't try to impose that belief on others, I don't much care past a conversation.

I'm struck by the bolded section above. And not that it's the subject of the thread, I'm simply curious: why do you not have faith jesus won't make a return trip back?

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #16]
You're correct - it's not the subject (though that doesn't make it any less accurate). And no where did I claim it is the thread subject, to clarify. It is part of an evolving conversation in reference to the thread topic.
Do you think it might be added to the list of the General Christian Mind-set..."Jesus will return"

Are they generally heterosexual?
Do they consider YHWH to be Masculine in their imagery of HIM?
Do they idolize the Bible?
DO they believe in the second coming?
However, to be honest, anyone can see anything in anything, doesn't make it real.
That said, if that 'works' for the individual, and they don't try to impose that belief on others, I don't much care past a conversation.
One either see GOD in all things, or one does not.
I'm struck by the bolded section above. And not that it's the subject of the thread, I'm simply curious: why do you not have faith jesus won't make a return trip back?
It is simply because it remains unseen and thus, GOD cannot be seen in it and until that bridge is reached, it cannot be crossed.
an expression that means you will not worry about a possible future problem but will deal with it if it happens
If it does happen then when it happens, GOD can be seen in that as well...and what unfolds from such an event...even if Jesus does return, it may not unfold as we have been lead to expect...but it hasn't happened so I see no reason to place faith in it happening...there is the possibility it was a made up story...but we shall see when - if ever - that bridge is reached and the manifestation happens.

Tcg
Savant

Post #18

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:03 am [Replying to Tcg in post #5]
There is no generalized mindset of those who follow the Bible.
Three have been identified so far.

1: They are generally heterosexual.
2: They consider YHWH to be Masculine in their imagery of HIM.
3: They idolize the Bible
Zero have been identified. Three have been claimed absent verifiable evidence of course.

Tcg

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:37 pm
If it does happen then when it happens, GOD...
Right. That's pretty much the evidence presented for God, GOD, god, gods, G_d, gODS, etc... IF...

It's not much more convincing than the claim that IF GOD exists then GOD exists. IF Bigfoot exists then Bigfoot exists. IF demons exist then demons exist. IF Champy exists then Champy exists. IF the Jersey Devil exists then the Jersy Devil exists. The comparisons are near endless.

Tcg

Tcg
Savant

Post #20

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:37 pm
One either see GOD in all things, or one does not.
Or one sees GOD in some things and not in others. False dichotomies are rarely helpful or valid.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom