The Biblically Minded

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Biblically Minded

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Can the mind-set of the biblically minded be generalized that they are better understood in some coherent context?

For example.

Are they generally heterosexual?
Do they consider YHWH to be Masculine in their imagery of HIM?
Do they idolize the Bible?

What other general characteristics can be added to this list, re the OPQ?

*Thanks to nobspeople for the inspiration for the thread question

William
Savant

Re: The Biblically Minded

Post #21

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #18]
There is no generalized mindset of those who follow the Bible.
Three have been identified so far.

1: They are generally heterosexual.
2: They consider YHWH to be Masculine in their imagery of HIM.
3: They idolize the Bible
Zero have been identified. Three have been claimed absent verifiable evidence of course.
Identified. No claim has been made. You are free to argue why you do not think these generalizations are accurate identifiers.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #17]
Do you think it might be added to the list of the General Christian Mind-set..."Jesus will return"
I'm indifferent to that possibility.
One either see GOD in all things, or one does not.
No. One can see god in all things, no things, or certain things. People can see what they want, when and where they want.
It is simply because it remains unseen and thus, GOD cannot be seen in it
Thanks for clarification, though I know some that would disagree with that. But I'm not one of them, so that was said generally.
If it does happen then when it happens, GOD can be seen in that as well...and what unfolds from such an event...even if Jesus does return, it may not unfold as we have been lead to expect...but it hasn't happened so I see no reason to place faith in it happening...there is the possibility it was a made up story...but we shall see when - if ever - that bridge is reached and the manifestation happens.
Fair enough :approve:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #22]
Do you think it might be added to the list of the General Christian Mind-set..."Jesus will return"
I'm indifferent to that possibility.
So what was your interest in that subject?
One either see GOD in all things, or one does not.
No. One can see god in all things, no things, or certain things. People can see what they want, when and where they want.
Which is what I meant by writing what I did. Seeing GOD in 'certain things' is not see GOD in all things.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #23]
A passing one; more about the believers than the belief
Seeing GOD in 'certain things' is not see GOD in all things.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other; glass is half full, glass if half empty. Which falls under the umbrella of seeing god in all things, no things, or certain things

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:36 pm [Replying to William in post #23]
Six of one, half a dozen of the other; glass is half full, glass if half empty. Which falls under the umbrella of seeing god in all things, no things, or certain things
My point was that there seems no reason as to why you wished to make such distinction.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:38 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:36 pm [Replying to William in post #23]
My point was that there seems no reason as to why you wished to make such distinction.
Because I'm curious as to how individuals see things. The belief is, IMO, total bunk and not worth the paper it's printed on. But the people... that's the truly interesting part for me.

William
Savant

Post #27

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #26]
Because I'm curious as to how individuals see things.
That is a great attribute.
The belief is,...
As such, seeing GOD in all things is not really a 'belief' so much as an acknowledgement. That is how I 'see' it, in case your curiosity as to how individuals see things, reaches that far...

When I want to know how YHWH does things, I go to science because science explains it in far more detail than religion does.
...IMO*, total bunk and not worth the paper it's printed on.
Therein is the bias which may prevent the curiosity from reaching that far.
But the people... that's the truly interesting part for me.
As this person [one of the 'people'] said "I see GOD in all things".

What are your 'interests' re that. Perhaps the study of how the "deranged" hear the noise and attribute it to a mindful creator?

What does your bias tell you?

[Bias="IMO"*]

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #27]
...seeing GOD in all things is not really a 'belief' so much as an acknowledgement.
You have to believe you see it before you acknowledge it ;)
...science because science explains it in far more detail than religion does.
Sure
I acknowledge the biasness therein. However, I spent many a decade within christianity, so the biasness goes 'both ways'. That is, modern christianity.
As this person [one of the 'people'] said "I see GOD in all things".

1) What are your 'interests' re that. Perhaps the study of how the "deranged" hear the noise and attribute it to a mindful creator?

2) What does your bias tell you?
Good questions:

1) People are weird things. They can be kind or hateful, vile and sweet. You can have 50 people look at a problem and come to the same conclusion, then one person some by with a totally different solution, and fixes the problem. That, to me, is interesting.
How people behave one way yet live a life that tells a different story.
How people overcome oppression, or oppress others.
Specifically, how one's POV is the same, yet somehow slightly different, than mine or a groups' thinking. Fascinating.

2) Can you elaborate on this question? What are you looking for me to tell you? And about what, exactly?

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #28]

...seeing GOD in all things is not really a 'belief' so much as an acknowledgement.
You have to believe you see it before you acknowledge it ;)
Possibly. Or it may be a case that one approaches the idea without particular bias either way, and just see if it has anything to show for itself re the idea.

That would amount to the belief that such a thing might be possible, I can grant you that much.

The acknowledgement comes after enough confirmation that not only is it possible, but it is actually the case.
I acknowledge the biasness therein. However, I spent many a decade within christianity, so the biasness goes 'both ways'. That is, modern christianity.
That is why I prefer to view the works of YHWH through the instrument of science rather than religion.

2) What does your bias tell you?
Can you elaborate on this question? What are you looking for me to tell you? And about what, exactly?
About that I see YHWH in everything. What does your bias tell you now about me as a personality re the statement?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #29]
Or it may be a case that one approaches the idea without particular bias either way, and just see if it has anything to show for itself re the idea.
Maybe. But I don't believe anyone is entirely unbiased.
The acknowledgement comes after enough confirmation that not only is it possible, but it is actually the case.
Maybe. I'd have to sit and ruminate on that for a while. :confused2:
That is why I prefer to view the works of YHWH through the instrument of science rather than religion.
If that works for you, great!
About that I see YHWH in everything. What does your bias tell you now about ne as a personality re the statement?
Back in the day, I was into 'ghost hunting shows'. I loved to see them get 'spooked' or get 'the chills' and the like. But I discovered, if I thought about it enough, I could recreate the same exact feeling on demand. Anyone can. Therefore, I created what I wanted at that time.
When I was younger and 'experienced the feeling of god' in my life, I later learned I could create the exact same feeling on demand.
I think people that see god in things/all things, simply do so because they want to see them. Does that mean they're wrong, and god is not in all things or any thing? I won't go that far, as I don't know. No one does. It's all about belief.
That's a long was of saying I think you see god in all things because you want to see god in all things. It's personal bias, culture, psychological need, want/desire and many other things all rolled into one.