Is Prayer Measurable?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Is Prayer Measurable?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Seems as though Christians make countless claims, that God answers prayer(s). Well, does He? If so, when exactly? Are these 'answered prayers' measurable in any tangible and/or objective kind of way? Please do not answer yet... Below, I will place forth an example....

On earth, we have many who are amputees, and/or have downs syndrome, and/or have cerebral palsy. I would imagine countless prayer requests have also been made on their behalf? If so, has God ever answered? Has God ever answered the call to reverse/remove such unwanted afflictions? If so, care to share?

To me, seems as though God ignores the call to such prayer requests, (to remove such conditions). Would you Christians agree?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Is Prayer Measurable?

Post #11

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:21 am I don't believe God ignores anything. But, I don't know what have other people really prayed and I don't know what things have happened because of their prayers, therefore I think it is purely a matter of belief.
Does God ever answer prayer requests --- (yes or no)?

If yes, why does he perpetually skip requests for amputees, downs, and cerebral palsy?

If no, then why pray at all?
1213 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:21 am But, if you would know surely that God does such things in certain cases, would it really make any meaningful difference to you?
YES

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by POI »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:30 am I did read of a study of Prayer in a hospital. With a check of people Not prayed over. As I recall, there was no real difference and even a slight lacking of improvement in those prayed over. I might try to find it as it would be significant if true, but I haven't seen the claim for a long time.
Was it this one?

(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569567):

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Intercessory prayer is widely believed to influence recovery from illness, but claims of benefits are not supported by well-controlled clinical trials. Prior studies have not addressed whether prayer itself or knowledge/certainty that prayer is being provided may influence outcome. We evaluated whether (1) receiving intercessory prayer or (2) being certain of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with uncomplicated recovery after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.

METHODS:
Patients at 6 US hospitals were randomly assigned to 1 of 3 groups: 604 received intercessory prayer after being informed that they may or may not receive prayer; 597 did not receive intercessory prayer also after being informed that they may or may not receive prayer; and 601 received intercessory prayer after being informed they would receive prayer. Intercessory prayer was provided for 14 days, starting the night before CABG. The primary outcome was presence of any complication within 30 days of CABG. Secondary outcomes were any major event and mortality.

RESULTS:
In the 2 groups uncertain about receiving intercessory prayer, complications occurred in 52% (315/604) of patients who received intercessory prayer versus 51% (304/597) of those who did not (relative risk 1.02, 95% CI 0.92-1.15). Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer (relative risk 1.14, 95% CI 1.02-1.28). Major events and 30-day mortality were similar across the 3 groups.

CONCLUSIONS:
Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from CABG, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications.
Petitionary prayer is not effective under any logical, reasonable, or evidentiary standard.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:44 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:30 am I did read of a study of Prayer in a hospital. With a check of people Not prayed over. As I recall, there was no real difference and even a slight lacking of improvement in those prayed over. I might try to find it as it would be significant if true, but I haven't seen the claim for a long time.
Was it this one?

(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569567):

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Intercessory prayer is widely believed to influence recovery from illness, but claims of benefits are not supported by well-controlled clinical trials. Prior studies have not addressed whether prayer itself or knowledge/certainty that prayer is being provided may influence outcome. We evaluated whether (1) receiving intercessory prayer or (2) being certain of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with uncomplicated recovery after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery.

METHODS:
Patients at 6 US hospitals were randomly assigned to 1 of 3 groups: 604 received intercessory prayer after being informed that they may or may not receive prayer; 597 did not receive intercessory prayer also after being informed that they may or may not receive prayer; and 601 received intercessory prayer after being informed they would receive prayer. Intercessory prayer was provided for 14 days, starting the night before CABG. The primary outcome was presence of any complication within 30 days of CABG. Secondary outcomes were any major event and mortality.

RESULTS:
In the 2 groups uncertain about receiving intercessory prayer, complications occurred in 52% (315/604) of patients who received intercessory prayer versus 51% (304/597) of those who did not (relative risk 1.02, 95% CI 0.92-1.15). Complications occurred in 59% (352/601) of patients certain of receiving intercessory prayer compared with the 52% (315/604) of those uncertain of receiving intercessory prayer (relative risk 1.14, 95% CI 1.02-1.28). Major events and 30-day mortality were similar across the 3 groups.

CONCLUSIONS:
Intercessory prayer itself had no effect on complication-free recovery from CABG, but certainty of receiving intercessory prayer was associated with a higher incidence of complications.
Petitionary prayer is not effective under any logical, reasonable, or evidentiary standard.
Some have speculated that those who knew that they were being prayed for felt more pressure to get well and this caused the higher number of complications within this group. The study reports don't provide clear evidence of that, but it is an attempt to understand this result.

In any case, if you're going to pray for someone who is sick, please don't tell them you're going to do so.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

POI
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by POI »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:08 pm In any case, if you're going to pray for someone who is sick, please don't tell them you're going to do so.
Preach brother! :)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #15

Post by TRANSPONDER »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:57 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:08 pm In any case, if you're going to pray for someone who is sick, please don't tell them you're going to do so.
Preach brother! :)
That looks like the one. And any debate about the phychosomatic/placebo effects of people knowing they were being prayed for is beside the point of a 100% recovery rate going with prayer, as guaranteed by Matthew 17.20 quite apart from it enabling arms and legs to grow back.

Would atheists accept that as convincing evidence or find excuses to reject it (there must be some Natural explanation'). Perhaps the wrong question. If Christianity was true, prayer would work, God would talk to everyone, and the Bible would be perfect. "There wouldn't Be any atheists, Pippin".

It is because none of this stuff stacks up that we have doubts and questions and thus, atheists.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Goat »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:25 pm
Has a Bishop ever claimed to have "saved and 'raised up' the sick"? If so, are they also capable of asking God to restore one's limb(s), reversing downs syndrome, and and/or reversing cerebral palsy?

The Bible has many other verses about prayer: i.e. (Matthew 7:7), (Matthew 21:22), (Mark 11:24), (John 14:13-14), (John 16:23)
There is the claim that prayers 'saved' and 'raised up' the sick. Can it be shown that it actually did?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #17

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Not convincingly. Appeals to previous prayers being answered won't do as such things should be Repeatable. If they aren't and even believers know they aren't, as they have to claim everyday occurrences as prayers answered or find excuses for when prayers are not answered, then the claim of answered prayers have to be considered as yet another dubious Faith - claim of religion.

Savant

Post #18

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pm Does God ever answer prayer requests --- (yes or no)?
I believe so.
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pmIf yes, why does he perpetually skip requests for amputees, downs, and cerebral palsy?
How do you know He does that?
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pmIf no, then why pray at all?
For me praying is a way to say thanks, or that I am sorry, if I have done something wrong.
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:21 am But, if you would know surely that God does such things in certain cases, would it really make any meaningful difference to you?
YES
What would that be?

brunumb
Savant

Post #19

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:00 am
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pm Does God ever answer prayer requests --- (yes or no)?
I believe so.
One can believe things that are false. The question is, do you know so?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #20

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:00 am
I believe so.
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pmIf yes, why does he perpetually skip requests for amputees, downs, and cerebral palsy?
How do you know He does that?
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pmIf no, then why pray at all?
For me praying is a way to say thanks, or that I am sorry, if I have done something wrong.
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:30 pm
YES
What would that be?
Belief is irrelevant; validation is what matters.

Because if those things were healed on a regular and demonstrable basis, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That praying is a way of grovelling to a particular deity is understandable; but it rather pushes away any practical granting of requests. Accessing easy forgiveness for wrongs done is also understood. It's fine if it is resolved to learn from that. I'm sure that You wouldn't use it as a cheap and simple way of escaping consequences with a few Hail Marys and a dollar in the tin. It would be (I'm sure) the voice of your conscience, just as any other atheist has. Except the stick and carrot of heaven and hell is not there and the advantages are hoped for in this life, because if one has to gain forgiveness for transgressions before God is obliged to answer prayers, that isn't made clear in Matthew or Mark.

It was already one of the herd of invisible elephants that God could hardly want all this constant prayer, and the Faithful knew it was for themselves. Well, I do meditation and that does the same and doesn't have to contend with a Holy Book that promises more than that, which would be embarrassing when I still can't find my car - keys and never mind that, despite assiduous meditation, that persistent barking dog across the way hath not been uprooted and cast into the sea.