Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

End of a marriage death?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In another thread, a poster*, in a conversation, a poster said the below:
"Since marriage is biblically only terminated by death..."

This made me wonder 'why'. If death (the end of the earthly body) is terminated when said body dies, but the soul lives on, why does death have to be the end, especially if the marriage is 'preformed' within a religious ceremony?

For discussion:
Seems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?

*Thanks to JehovahsWitness for the inspiration of this question.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

tam
Savant

Re: End of a marriage death?

Post #51

Post by tam »

[Replying to POI in post #50]

I have done so.

Peace again to you.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #52

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm
For discussion:
Seems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?

I think death terminating marriage is a loving concession from God because some widows / widowers wish to remarry and this allows them to do this without becoming adulterers in God's eyes. Biblically (and this is not a claim but a comment on the bible text) .... Biblically this allowance spares such ones from living in frustration.

Paul addressed this issue regarding widows (women) but the principle applies just as much to widowers (men).
1 TIMOTHY 5:14 - New Living Translation

So I advise these younger widows to marry again, have children, and take care of their own homes. Then the enemy will not be able to say anything against them.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:46 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm
For discussion:

I think death terminating marriage is a loving concession from God because some widows / widowers wish to remarry and this allows them to do this without becoming adulterers in God's eyes. Biblically (and this is not a claim but a comment on the bible text) .... Biblically this allowance spares such ones from living in frustration.

Paul addressed this issue regarding widows (women) but the principle applies just as much to widowers (men).
1 TIMOTHY 5:14 - New Living Translation

So I advise these younger widows to marry again, have children, and take care of their own homes. Then the enemy will not be able to say anything against them.
What do you think of the mormons' idea that marriage continues after death; marrying here will be marrying for eternity?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #54

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:27 am
What do you think of the mormons' idea that marriage continues after death; marrying here will be marrying for eternity?
I think they are wrong. I believe God's standards and truths can be found in scripture. Perhaps they get this notion from their book of Mormon which I do not believe is part of the bible canon.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #55

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:57 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:27 am
I think they are wrong. I believe God's standards and truths can be found in scripture. Perhaps they get this notion from their book of Mormon which I do not believe is part of the bible canon.
It was a dumb question on my part, but that's for making it official. :approve: