Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

End of a marriage death?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In another thread, a poster*, in a conversation, a poster said the below:
"Since marriage is biblically only terminated by death..."

This made me wonder 'why'. If death (the end of the earthly body) is terminated when said body dies, but the soul lives on, why does death have to be the end, especially if the marriage is 'preformed' within a religious ceremony?

For discussion:
Seems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?

*Thanks to JehovahsWitness for the inspiration of this question.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: End of a marriage death?

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:43 pm
bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

The answer to this was given by our Lord. In Matthew 12:25 Jesus said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angles in heaven.”

Boy, Matthew 12:25 in the various bibles I consulted say nothing of the sort.

Matthew 12:25
King James Version
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Modern English Version
25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation. And every city or house divided against itself will not stand.

New Revised Standard Version
25 He knew what they were thinking and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand.

New International Version
25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.

:shock:

Maybe they meant Mark?
https://biblehub.com/mark/12-25.htm

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

The answer to this was given by our Lord. In Matthew 12:25 Jesus said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angles in heaven.”

King James Version
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Modern English Version
25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation. And every city or house divided against itself will not stand.

25 He knew what they were thinking and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand.

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.

Good catch. The quote is either from Mark 12:25 or Matthew 22:30. Not that it matters much. The quote doesn't address the issue at hand.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 pm

King James Version

Modern English Version

Maybe they meant Mark?
Ah ha! Mark 12:25 may indeed be the correct verse.

Mark 12:25
NIRV
When the dead rise, they won’t get married. And their parents won’t give them to be married. They will be like the angels in heaven.

However, it doesn't say that married people can't remain married, only that new marriages won't be preformed.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:57 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:46 pm

King James Version

Modern English Version

Maybe they meant Mark?
Ah ha! Mark 12:25 may indeed be the correct verse.

Mark 12:25
NIRV
When the dead rise, they won’t get married. And their parents won’t give them to be married. They will be like the angels in heaven.

However, it doesn't say that married people can't remain married, only that new marriages won't be preformed.

I personally liked the guarantee that their parents won't GIVE THEM AWAY to get married, like property. That's very sweet of them :roll:

bjs1
Sage

Post #15

Post by bjs1 »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:38 pm
bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm
That doesn't address the question at hand. That is simply a claim that Jesus reportedly stated that there will be no new marriages. The question is about marriages that have already occurred before the supposed time in heaven or wherever the supposed afterlife takes place.

Tcg
The context of the passage is that someone asked about a woman who was married seven times and whose husband she would be in heaven. So it is about marriages that have already occurred before entering heaven. Jesus' response points to the idea that marriage will not exist in any form in heaven.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

POI
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by POI »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:09 pm
POI wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:46 pm If the widow or widower were to remarry, who is the widow or widower bound to after their own death in the afterlife? Say both marriages were 25 years in length.... Or, is the argument that the earthly married couple are not reunited in Heaven after their earthly deaths?
This is directly answered by Jesus in Mark 12:18-27. A group of Sadducees (temple priests, upper class, who said that there is no heaven and once you are dead that’s it) told Jesus a story. They asked about a woman who had been married seven and times and wondered whose husband she would be in heaven.

Jesus replied, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry or be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.”

The couple can be reunited, but not in marriage. Marriage is an inherently exclusive relationship. Heaven is a place of unfettered love that cannot be limited to just one relationship. There is too much love in heaven for there to be marriage.
Seems you have now opened, yet another, can of worms. By the likes of your chosen 'cherry picked' verses, please now allow me to do the same.

1 Timothy 5:8 ---> But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. This verse would suggest it is GOOD to prioritize your core family, (spouse/kids), above all else.

1 Timothy 5:4 --> but if any widow has children or grandchildren, they must first learn to practice piety in regard to their own family and to make some return to their parents; for this is acceptable in the sight of God. This verse would again suggest higher priority to your core family.

If, as you state, 'Heaven is a place of unfettered love for all equally', then why does the Bible go out of it's way to clarify 'family first'?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

bjs1
Sage

Post #17

Post by bjs1 »

POI wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:28 pm
POI wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:46 pm If the widow or widower were to remarry, who is the widow or widower bound to after their own death in the afterlife? Say both marriages were 25 years in length.... Or, is the argument that the earthly married couple are not reunited in Heaven after their earthly deaths?
This is directly answered by Jesus in Mark 12:18-27. A group of Sadducees (temple priests, upper class, who said that there is no heaven and once you are dead that’s it) told Jesus a story. They asked about a woman who had been married seven and times and wondered whose husband she would be in heaven.

Jesus replied, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry or be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.”

The couple can be reunited, but not in marriage. Marriage is an inherently exclusive relationship. Heaven is a place of unfettered love that cannot be limited to just one relationship. There is too much love in heaven for there to be marriage.
Seems you have now opened, yet another, can of worms. By the likes of your chosen 'cherry picked' verses, please now allow me to do the same.
I have not "cherry picked" verses. Please feel free to read the entire passage. I addressed the issue as it is brought up in context and concerning this specific issue.

POI wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:28 pm If, as you state, 'Heaven is a place of unfettered love for all equally', then why does the Bible go out of it's way to clarify 'family first'?
I am always caution with "why" questions, but my best deduction would be: We are not currently in heaven. My first duty in this life is to my immediate family. Heaven is, as I hinted at already, different.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

tam
Savant

Post #18

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

Yes to most of this, though a couple of clarifications if I may?

First: The Sadducees do not mention heaven at all, but rather the resurrection. Might seem like a small change, but even a small change can mislead.

Second: there is marriage in heaven... there is a marriage between the Lamb (Christ) and His Bride (Christians).

Christ is the Bridegroom. Christians are the Bride.

We (men and women in Christ) have a husband, King, Lord, Master.

And that the New Jerusalem comes down out of heaven and is upon the earth.

Then one of the seven angels with the seven bowls full of the seven final plagues came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” 10And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the holy city of Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11shining with the glory of God.

I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying: “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man, and He will dwell with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them as their God.

And they sang a new song: “Worthy are You to take the scroll and open its seals, because You were slain, and by Your blood You purchased for God those from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. 10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign upon the earth. (some versions have that said from the pov of those who do the reigning: "You have made us to be a Kingdom and priests to serve our God, and we will reign upon the earth.")

Peace again to you!
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #19

Post by Clownboat »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:27 pm
That doesn't address the question at hand. That is simply a claim that Jesus reportedly stated that there will be no new marriages. The question is about marriages that have already occurred before the supposed time in heaven or wherever the supposed afterlife takes place.

Tcg
The context of the passage is that someone asked about a woman who was married seven times and whose husband she would be in heaven. So it is about marriages that have already occurred before entering heaven. Jesus' response points to the idea that marriage will not exist in any form in heaven.
Well, in his defense, Matthew had yet to be written, so he could not have known. Seems as though we should give the man a break!
Matthew 19:6:
So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Miles
Savant

Post #20

Post by Miles »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:27 pm

Tcg
In the Bibles I read Matthew 22:30 and Mark 12:25 don't say this at all. Only that marriages will not be performed.

Matthew NIRV
Mark NIRV

Matthew GNT
For when the dead rise to life, they will be like the angels in heaven and will not marry.
Mark GNT
For when the dead rise to life, they will be like the angels in heaven and will not marry.

Matthew HCSB
For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like angels in heaven.
Mark HCSB
For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like angels in heaven.

Matthew NLV
After people are raised from the dead, they do not marry. They are like the angels in heaven.
Mark 12:25 NLV
When people are raised from the dead, they do not marry and are not given in marriage. They are like angels in heaven.

Matthew KJV
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
Mark KJV
For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

Now, if this is truly not what Jesus meant then he serious misspoke or a lot of translators got it very wrong.

Last edited by Miles on Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.