Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

End of a marriage death?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In another thread, a poster*, in a conversation, a poster said the below:
"Since marriage is biblically only terminated by death..."

This made me wonder 'why'. If death (the end of the earthly body) is terminated when said body dies, but the soul lives on, why does death have to be the end, especially if the marriage is 'preformed' within a religious ceremony?

For discussion:
Seems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?

*Thanks to JehovahsWitness for the inspiration of this question.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

tam
Savant

Re: End of a marriage death?

Post #41

Post by tam »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:41 pm
tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:48 pm No, not that I am aware of.

Marriage is a binding contract that ends at the death of at least one spouse (even according to the vows/terms). Hence a man or a woman is permitted to remarry if their spouse dies, without having committed adultery.
Thank you for answering the question. So if you should happen to run across your earthly ex, or your earthly children or parents in Heaven, you no longer have the same feelings for them in Heaven, like you do here on earth? Meaning, you have equal love for all in Heaven; all the same -- (excluding God of course)? Your immediate family is no longer is special?
No, that is not a claim that I ever made. I don't think that.

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

POI
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:45 pm

Marriage is a binding contract that ends at the death of at least one spouse (even according to the vows/terms). Hence a man or a woman is permitted to remarry if their spouse dies, without having committed adultery.
Thank you for answering the question. So if you should happen to run across your earthly ex, or your earthly children or parents in Heaven, you no longer have the same feelings for them in Heaven, like you do here on earth? Meaning, you have equal love for all in Heaven; all the same -- (excluding God of course)? Your immediate family is no longer is special?

Peace again.
I'm trying to speed this exchange along...

What happens when you run into your former earthly spouse? Do you continue to have <special> feelings for them in Heaven, or not?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

tam
Savant

Post #43

Post by tam »

POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:03 pm

Peace again.

What happens when you run into your former earthly spouse? Do you continue to have <special> feelings for them in Heaven, or not?
I assume yes. I can't picture no longer having special feelings for our personal loved ones. I'm going to add that it doesn't even make sense that we would have to start loving our personal loved ones less than we once did (though I don't think that is what bjs was suggesting to begin with).

Peace again.

POI
Prodigy

Post #44

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:09 pm
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:03 pm

Peace again.

I assume yes. I can't picture no longer having special feelings for our personal loved ones. I'm going to add that it doesn't even make sense that we would have to start loving our personal loved ones less than we once did (though I don't think that is what bjs was suggesting to begin with).

Peace again.
I'm trying to reach clarification here... Allow me to explain....

I'm not saying you will love your immediate family less in Heaven. I'm trying to clarify if you love ALL in Heaven, (excluding God), equally. Sounds like you are saying that you can still favor your earthly family in Heaven as well. Assuming this is the case, let's move forward... If not, please correct me accordingly....

Assuming you still have special feelings for your former spouse in Heaven, let's go back to a scenario I raised, from the jump -- (before you first responded).

Say you marry for 25 years, and then become a widow. Say you then re-marry again for another 25 years. Fast forward... You, and your two earthly ex husbands are all now in Heaven. How the heck does that work?

Do you opt to rekindle a special relationship with either/both of them????

Spoiler alert: Heaven sounds like a very strange place. Why? If you admit you possess special feelings for the ones you devote your lives to here on earth, how does that work in Heaven? And more importantly, how do you remain in perfect bliss, if you were to find out your former ex, or the rest of your family was not in Heaven with you, but instead burning in hell? How would you remain in perfect bliss? This concept, for which you believe exists, raises more questions, then to provide any logical answers....

Do we chalk it up to... "God works in mysterious ways?"

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

tam
Savant

Post #45

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to POI in post #44]

Neither, and I never suggested rekindling a marriage to begin with.

Marriage is not defined as "special feelings". You can love more than one person (we do it all the time), even if you love some more than others.

Marriage is a contract. That contract ends at the death of one or the other spouse. So all of this (which spouse are you married to, yada yada) is a non-issue. One that was answered in the quote that bjs supplied.

Peace again.

tam
Savant

Post #46

Post by tam »

Peace again to you.

And more importantly, how do you remain in perfect bliss, if you were to find out your former ex, or the rest of your family was not in Heaven with you, but instead burning in hell?
You would not. But that is not an issue, because that does not happen (and there is no such thing as 'burning in hell').

Peace again.

POI
Prodigy

Post #47

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:53 pm Peace to you,

Marriage is not defined as "special feelings". You can love more than one person (we do it all the time), even if you love some more than others.

Marriage is a contract. That contract ends at the death of one or the other spouse. So all of this (which spouse are you married to, yada yada) is a non-issue. One that was answered in the quote that bjs supplied.

Peace again.
I'm not sure why I need to keep spelling this out so literally...

When you see your ex's in Heaven again, and you admit you favor them more than the countless others, for which you've never met; do you continue to hang out with them in Heaven, (and worship God as a family), or, do you now treat them like you do everyone else in Heaven? Meaning, you do not go out of your way to stick by them, in Heaven, (simply because your earthly contract is now null and void)? Meaning, you now no longer have any special bond with them in the afterlife. They are seen the exact same as the person next to them, for which you never met or devoted your earthly life to...

POI
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:55 pm Peace again to you.

And more importantly, how do you remain in perfect bliss, if you were to find out your former ex, or the rest of your family was not in Heaven with you, but instead burning in hell?
You would not. But that is not an issue, because that does not happen (and there is no such thing as 'burning in hell').

Peace again.
So everyone goes to Heaven?

tam
Savant

Post #49

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
POI wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:14 pm
tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:53 pm Peace to you,

Peace again.
I'm not sure why I need to keep spelling this out so literally...

When you see your ex's in Heaven again, and you admit you favor them more than the countless others, for which you've never met; do you continue to hang out with them in Heaven, (and worship God as a family), or, do you now treat them like you do everyone else in Heaven? Meaning, you do not go out of your way to stick by them, in Heaven, (simply because your earthly contract is now null and void)? Meaning, you now no longer have any special bond with them in the afterlife. They are seen the exact same as the person next to them, for which you never met or devoted your earthly life to...
Maybe you can't accept the answers being given because they're not the answers you want or expect?

I don't know what else to say to you than what I have already said.

Peace again.

POI
Prodigy

Post #50

Post by POI »

tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:18 pm Maybe you can't accept the answers being given because they're not the answers you want or expect?
Thanks for the given false dichotomy.
tam wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:18 pmI don't know what else to say to you than what I have already said.
You can answer what I asked, and/or pointed out ;)