Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

End of a marriage death?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In another thread, a poster*, in a conversation, a poster said the below:
"Since marriage is biblically only terminated by death..."

This made me wonder 'why'. If death (the end of the earthly body) is terminated when said body dies, but the soul lives on, why does death have to be the end, especially if the marriage is 'preformed' within a religious ceremony?

For discussion:
Seems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?

*Thanks to JehovahsWitness for the inspiration of this question.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

POI
Prodigy

Re: End of a marriage death?

Post #2

Post by POI »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm In another thread, a poster*, in a conversation, a poster said the below:

This made me wonder 'why'. If death (the end of the earthly body) is terminated when said body dies, but the soul lives on, why does death have to be the end, especially if the marriage is 'preformed' within a religious ceremony?

For discussion:
Seems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?

And once that little chestnut has been answered, to satisfaction, the follow up question would be...

If the widow or widower were to remarry, who is the widow or widower bound to after their own death in the afterlife? Say both marriages were 25 years in length.... Or, is the argument that the earthly married couple are not reunited in Heaven after their earthly deaths?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

POI wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:46 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm In another thread, a poster*, in a conversation, a poster said the below:

For discussion:

And once that little chestnut has been answered, to satisfaction, the follow up question would be...

If the widow or widower were to remarry, who is the widow or widower bound to after their own death in the afterlife? Say both marriages were 25 years in length.... Or, is the argument that the earthly married couple are not reunited in Heaven after their earthly deaths?
Bingo!
Inquiring minds want to know, as they say.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Difflugia »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pmSeems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?
There are no pregnancies in heaven, so paternity's not an issue. There's no resource scarcity, so a difference in earning power isn't an issue. What reason for a godly blessed marriage is left?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:26 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pmSeems to me, if a 'christian' marries a couple, and 'blesses' the marriage, and their souls never die, why does the godly blessed marriage not continue on forever in eternity?
There are no pregnancies in heaven, so paternity's not an issue. There's no resource scarcity, so a difference in earning power isn't an issue. What reason for a godly blessed marriage is left?
Agreed. But that's a whole 'nother can o' worms!

bjs1
Sage

Post #6

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

The answer to this was given by our Lord. In Mark 12:25 Jesus said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angles in heaven.”

Once a man dies he has left earthly reality and entered the reality of heaven. When the dead rise (that is, in heaven) there will be no marriage. So the person who has died on earth has left the institution of marriage behind. His widow no longer has a spouse and is free to marry again.

When the widow dies she will also leave marriage behind. There is no marriage in the life to come.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

The answer to this was given by our Lord. In Matthew 12:25 Jesus said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angles in heaven.”

Once a man dies he has left earthly reality and entered the reality of heaven. When the dead rise (that is, in heaven) there will be no marriage. So the person who has died on earth has left the institution of marriage behind. His widow no longer has a spouse and is free to marry again.

When the widow dies she will also leave marriage behind. There is no marriage in the life to come.

For me, the question of 're-marrying' wasn't up for debate.
But your explanation is probably good news to many, not so good to some who are 'married for eternity'.
It makes me wonder what the point of marriage is, religiously, at all? Seems everything that can come from marriage can happen w/o marriage. It seems to be more of a 'god given' type of thing - commandment in a sense.

It would be interesting to discuss this concept in this thread as well for those interested in it.

bjs1
Sage

Post #8

Post by bjs1 »

POI wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:46 pm If the widow or widower were to remarry, who is the widow or widower bound to after their own death in the afterlife? Say both marriages were 25 years in length.... Or, is the argument that the earthly married couple are not reunited in Heaven after their earthly deaths?
This is directly answered by Jesus in Mark 12:18-27. A group of Sadducees (temple priests, upper class, who said that there is no heaven and once you are dead that’s it) told Jesus a story. They asked about a woman who had been married seven and times and wondered whose husband she would be in heaven.

Jesus replied, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry or be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.”

The couple can be reunited, but not in marriage. Marriage is an inherently exclusive relationship. Heaven is a place of unfettered love that cannot be limited to just one relationship. There is too much love in heaven for there to be marriage.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm
The answer to this was given by our Lord. In Matthew 12:25 Jesus said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angles in heaven.”
That doesn't address the question at hand. That is simply a claim that Jesus reportedly stated that there will be no new marriages. The question is about marriages that have already occurred before the supposed time in heaven or wherever the supposed afterlife takes place.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Boy, Matthew 12:25 in the various bibles I consulted say nothing of the sort.

Matthew 12:25
King James Version
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Modern English Version
25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation. And every city or house divided against itself will not stand.

New Revised Standard Version
25 He knew what they were thinking and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand.

New International Version
25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.