God’s derivation of morals

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

God’s derivation of morals

Post #1

Post by Willum »

This is actually an ancient dilemma, that seems to be glossed over, sometimes bloodily, throughout history.

If the modern god, named God (as contrasted against Osiris and other deities), is the source of morality, then how can morality be other than an inappropriate opinion for wee humans, who are not omnipotent or omniscient, etc.?

If morals are not this god’s opinion, then where does this absolute morality come from?

If you claim God has the monopoly on morality because it created life, then you fail in several ways.
Men create things without dictating their morality. With no capacity to dictate morality.
Men create children with different opinions then their parents.
Further, parents should be able to, under the same constraints of this God perform morally. Such things as drown their children should they be ruled “wicked in the eyes of God.”
Finally, the ultimate absolute of: if God created morality, how is there morality, and not status quo? Is God incompetent?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: God’s derivation of morals

Post #11

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:58 am
Willum wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:19 am ...
Therefore morals must be his own opinion, an alien one at that, and so now we need to know why this god’s opinion on morality is better than anyone else’s’.
I think that would be in any case just a subjective opinion. I agree with God, because I think His will is righteous and good. For example the idea to love others and treat others as I want to be treated. I think it is just the most reasonable and logical moral principle. If I don't want to be murdered, I don't murder others, because if I would murder, I would give the same right to others, I could not say that others can't do what I myself do without being hypocrite. I believe it is the only perfect and objective and reasonable moral principle and that is why I believe it is also promoted by God. If you think some other principle is better, I would like to hear what it is.
But Dude (or dudess, perhaps), why don't you want to be murdered? That would get you to heaven (assuming you believe that's where you'll go) before you commit too many sins, lose your Faith or somehow risk losing Grace. Why this instinctive clinging to Life, as though you know (instinctively) that it mattered more than an afterlife?

Treating others as they want to be treated is not (in itself) Biblical - the Golden Rule is something found in many philosophies. It's the humanist basis of Human well -being, and that it is used to urge Christians to do good does not make it a Good devised by God.

The point is whether Good and evil has a validity of its' own no matter what God saysabout it, or whether it only is moral and Good if God says so. Thus Morality existed without (and perhaps before) God, and He just adopted it as His morality. If it is 'His Nature' it's because he opted to use morality.

When it suited Him.

Savant

Post #12

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:44 am ... why don't you want to be murdered? That would get you to heaven (assuming you believe that's where you'll go) before you commit too many sins, lose your Faith or somehow risk losing Grace. ...
I don't want to be murdered, because I am in no hurry to die. Also, I don't know will I go to heaven. Bible promises eternal life for righteous and it is possible that I am not righteous enough for it.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:44 am...Treating others as they want to be treated is not (in itself) Biblical - the Golden Rule is something found in many philosophies. It's the humanist basis of Human well -being, and that it is used to urge Christians to do good does not make it a Good devised by God.
If it is so common teaching, why do you think so few live by it, or teach it?
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:44 amThe point is whether Good and evil has a validity of its' own no matter what God saysabout it, or whether it only is moral and Good if God says so....
Maybe good and evil are always only opinions. And I don't think opinions exist without a person who can understand such things.

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:09 am [Replying to 1213 in post #9]

Well as long as you think your opinion is identical to the lord of the universe, how can I argue with you?
Simply by telling what is wrong with it. :D

If you manage to say something very reasonable and intelligent, I may change my mind.

Willum
Savant

Post #14

Post by Willum »

1213 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:42 am
Willum wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:09 am [Replying to 1213 in post #9]

Well as long as you think your opinion is identical to the lord of the universe, how can I argue with you?
Simply by telling what is wrong with it. :D

If you manage to say something very reasonable and intelligent, I may change my mind.
Well as a matter of history, you have never been shown to change your mind no matter how well reasoned the conversant or the topic.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Purple Knight »

Willum wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:53 am This is actually an ancient dilemma, that seems to be glossed over, sometimes bloodily, throughout history.

If the modern god, named God (as contrasted against Osiris and other deities), is the source of morality, then how can morality be other than an inappropriate opinion for wee humans, who are not omnipotent or omniscient, etc.?

If morals are not this god’s opinion, then where does this absolute morality come from?
You could always say that morality is written into the fabric of the universe as absolutes, and is no more under anyone's control than math. You can make different systems of math and call the numbers different words (for example you can call 1 blun or call 2 frou) but the relationships will always behave according to laws. 1 and 1 will always be 2. And murder - when one kills another one - will always be immoral.

I don't know if this is the case, but it's at least logically consistent.
Willum wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:53 amIf you claim God has the monopoly on morality because it created life, then you fail in several ways.
Men create things without dictating their morality. With no capacity to dictate morality.
Further, parents should be able to, under the same constraints of this God perform morally. Such things as drown their children should they be ruled “wicked in the eyes of God.”
This is also logically consistent, since subcreations would not belong to their direct creators, but to the owner of their creator.
Willum wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:53 amFinally, the ultimate absolute of: if God created morality, how is there morality, and not status quo? Is God incompetent?
We would indeed have to accept morality as a made-up word to describe our actions as either good (agreeable with what our master wants) or evil (opposed to what our master wants). We would have to accept that morality itself has no special significance and that if the Devil was in power, it would simply be good to do what the Devil wanted.

Willum
Savant

Post #16

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #15]

I can provide a consistent theorem of math where 2 + 2 = 3, or with triangles with greater than 180 degrees.

So that concept is flawed.

As to there being a original creator, that means Ford owns all Ford-made cars.

So that concept is flawed.

On your third point, you are consistent with the other two, in that you completely ignored the topic, maybe hoping no one would notice.

Is god the source of morality? In which case, why should we care about his opinion?

Or

Did god get morality elsewhere, and if so, where?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Goat »

Willum wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:53 am This is actually an ancient dilemma, that seems to be glossed over, sometimes bloodily, throughout history.

If you claim God has the monopoly on morality because it created life, then you fail in several ways.
Finally, the ultimate absolute of: if God created morality, how is there morality, and not status quo? Is God incompetent?
You are making the assumption there is 'absolute morality'. That does not seem to be a valid assumption to being with. Can you show there is absolute morality?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Willum
Savant

Post #18

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Goat in post #17]

And you are catching on!

Excellent.

In a few more days you might be able to address the post!

Fingers crossed!

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Goat »

Willum wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:58 pm [Replying to Goat in post #17]

And you are catching on!

Excellent.

In a few more days you might be able to address the post!

Fingers crossed!
Well, before I continue, start with your basic assumptions.

Why do you think there is absolute morality? If you can not show there is absolute morality, then your entire question breaks down, because the princples that are behind evolution can also be applied to this. Societies that have standards of behavior that promote the suvivical of the society as a whole will continue to exist, while societies that promote disruption of societies will be filtered out because of failure of that society.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Eloi »

Interestingly, when the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was conceived, religious "moral" played a major role.