If you don't follow a/the Church...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

If you don't follow a/the Church...

Post #1

Post by Willum »

If you claim to believe in the Christian god, but do not follow or believe in the practices of any church, and have your own unique perspective of this God, how can you distinguish this from a god you have simply made up?

In other words, how can you know your beliefs about God are better than a churches?
In other words, how do you know, of all the perspectives and interpretations of God, your's are correct? Or that God is what you have imagined?
And if not, how do you justify inventing or imagining a God in defiance of the certainly greater wisdom of a congregation?

If you are wrong, is it not CERTAINLY blasphemy to invent details of God you have no basis for believing are true?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: If you don't follow a/the Church...

Post #81

Post by nobspeople »

Willum wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:00 pm [Replying to tam in post #77]

Well if Christ is your mantra, then you should be dismayed to know, that Christ was only quoted, he cannot be said to have said anything.

Oh well!
Ah don't forget, for some, christy speaks directly to them!
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #82

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:40 pm
It should make an individual uncomfortable even proposing such a thing, and in ages past, let’s face it, you could be murdered for blasphemy.
Shouldn't right and wrong be decided on basis who has best arguments, not by the ideas popularity in ruling elite?

Willum
Savant

Post #83

Post by Willum »

[Replying to 1213 in post #82]

Since you don’t know the answer to the question, you opinion is dismissed as irrelevant.

How can anyone trust the viewpoints of someone who would even ask?

You’re Christian, of course?

You should see the post named, “a matter of faith and pride.”

pjharrison57
Student

Post #84

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to Willum in post #1]
You don't have to follow any church. The bible is how you know that you are following the right God. 1 John 2:27
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abided in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

brunumb
Savant

Post #85

Post by brunumb »

pjharrison57 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:35 pm [Replying to Willum in post #1]
You don't have to follow any church. The bible is how you know that you are following the right God. 1 John 2:27
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abided in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
The Quran disagrees with you:

“Say: He is Allah, the One; Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begets not, nor is He begotten; and there is none like unto Him.” (Surah Al-Ikhlas, 112: 1- 4)

“There is no god but I (Allah); so worship Me.” (Al-Anbiya', 21: 25)

“They disbelieve who say: Allah (God) is one of three, for there is no god except One God. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily, a grievous chastisement will befall the disbelievers among them.” (Surah Al-Ma'idah, 5: 73)
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

pjharrison57
Student

Post #86

Post by pjharrison57 »

I don't believe the Quaran. Allah did not create the Heaven and the earth. Allah was created himself; he also must bow down to Jesus.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #87

Post by benchwarmer »

pjharrison57 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:12 am I don't believe the Quaran. Allah did not create the Heaven and the earth. Allah was created himself; he also must bow down to Jesus.
Should we explain what just happened or wait a bit and see if it sinks in.....

Hint to pjharrison57, our good friend brnumb is not a Muslim.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #88

Post by TRANSPONDER »

pjharrison57 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:35 pm [Replying to Willum in post #1]
There's the problem.

Sorry, one more problem.

People can Interpret the Bible and do. The more willing they are to disregard what it says and claim they know what it means, the less we can all agree on what it is supposed to be telling us. Now, to get back to the OT, the purpose of Churches....

One of the purposes.

Is to tell the people what the Bible means. That's why we see people disagree about the Bible, swap and even leave Churches and damn' each other as 'Not Real Christians'. On my last Board, Christians accusing other Christians of not being Real Christians was announced as against the Rules, so much of it there was and so toxic it got.

But that it the problem...

One of the problems,

With the 'Ghost' Bible - the one in your head, downloaded there by God and the only Real Bible, rather than any one of the umpteen millions that have been printed.

pjharrison57
Student

Post #89

Post by pjharrison57 »

I have had someone tell me that I am trying to start my own cult. I believe the bible. Most Churches do not understand the bible spiritually. So when your understanding is different than theirs they have a problem with it. I believe that most of the Churches keep you in infancy. They are not able to understand the spiritual. They disconnected from the Church that started with the apostles. They branched off into their own bodies.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #90

Post by JehovahsWitness »

pjharrison57 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:35 pm They are not able to understand the spiritual. They disconnected from the Church that started with the apostles.
And how in your opinion can one identify and [re]connect with "the Church that started with the apostles"?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8