If you don't follow a/the Church...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

If you don't follow a/the Church...

Post #1

Post by Willum »

If you claim to believe in the Christian god, but do not follow or believe in the practices of any church, and have your own unique perspective of this God, how can you distinguish this from a god you have simply made up?

In other words, how can you know your beliefs about God are better than a churches?
In other words, how do you know, of all the perspectives and interpretations of God, your's are correct? Or that God is what you have imagined?
And if not, how do you justify inventing or imagining a God in defiance of the certainly greater wisdom of a congregation?

If you are wrong, is it not CERTAINLY blasphemy to invent details of God you have no basis for believing are true?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: If you don't follow a/the Church...

Post #151

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Candle wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:24 am
Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:28 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:38 pm
Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:05 pm ...I don't need someone to have authority over me to explain what the Bible says.
HEBREWS 13:17

Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and, be submissive , for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account.
1TIMOTHY 3:2

The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach,

Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:05 pm ...I don't need someone to have authority over me to explain what the Bible says.
1 TIMOTHY 5:17

Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.

1 THESSELONIANS 5:12

...show respect for those who are working hard among you and presiding over you in the Lord and admonishing you.

1 MATTHEW 24:45

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?
...I freely accept the teaching of anyone who is meeting the qualifications. ...
So you accept that you should be taught by human elders at regular meetings? You read your bible? Why did you not comment on the scriptures above? Could it be because they are clearly saying a believer should go to church! Isn't going to churchh what we call it when believers meet together for worship?

DO BELIEVERS HAVE TO GO TO CHURCH?
1 HEBREWS 10:23

And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom ... ?
"Going to church" and "submitting to authority" are altogether different.

And scriptures tell us to do BOTH (unless you have an alternative meaning for "be obedient ", "be submissive")
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Clownboat
Savant

Post #152

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:46 pm
Clownboat wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:14 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:29 pm
Clownboat wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:31 pm Virgins don't give birth, therefore she would have known the truth about the circumstances of his birth.
Up until now you will notice that the participants have been analysing the text and its implcations within the context of the narrative...whether virgins give birth or not then is irrelevant, what is relevant is that the bible character testified of her virginity and if that were the case had good reason to believe her son would have miraculous powers even without seeing them demonstrated.
Even if participants have been analysing the text, Virgins still do not give birth...
They do in the text under discussion ; that is what is relevant in this thread. Unless you can provide a text to support your interpretation to the contrary, your random beliefs on the subject are of interest I'm sure to someone, somewhere in the world but I will not presume to say to whom.
I know the book from which the text comes from. Those not dominated by the holy book understand where I'm coming from. Those who believe one holy book is true while all others are false can pretend that the words hold weight. Two sides to every coin and it seems you seek to silence the other side.

Can we see where faulty reasoning is entering the conversation?
1) Virgins don't give birth.
2) Virgins can give birth if a holy book makes the claim. But not just any holy book, only the one I claim is the one true holy book written about the one and only true God. It also opens up flying into the clouds, decomposing bodies reanitmating to life, walking on water, turning water into wine, sorcering up fish and bread, talking animals and on and on we go. Deciding to believe in a holy book surely is a slippery slope. Like a gateway drug perhaps?

In the end, I don't feel it is necessary to provide a text to support my observation that virgins do not give birth and I find your claim that it is just a random belief comical. I have read texts about such things though, yours (which was once mine) included. Are we to believe claims made in religious holy books?

Why do you not answer this question?:
How many demigods do you believe were/are real?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Candle
Student

Post #153

Post by Candle »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:13 am
Candle wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:24 am
Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:28 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:38 pm
HEBREWS 13:17

Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and, be submissive , for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account.
1TIMOTHY 3:2

The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach,

1 TIMOTHY 5:17

Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.

1 THESSELONIANS 5:12

...show respect for those who are working hard among you and presiding over you in the Lord and admonishing you.

1 MATTHEW 24:45

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?
...I freely accept the teaching of anyone who is meeting the qualifications. ...
So you accept that you should be taught by human elders at regular meetings? You read your bible? Why did you not comment on the scriptures above? Could it be because they are clearly saying a believer should go to church! Isn't going to churchh what we call it when believers meet together for worship?

DO BELIEVERS HAVE TO GO TO CHURCH?
1 HEBREWS 10:23

And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom ... ?
"Going to church" and "submitting to authority" are altogether different.

And scriptures tell us to do BOTH (unless you have an alternative meaning for "be obedient ", "be submissive")
I can select the one to whom I will submit.
If someone tells me to violate the Torah, I know not to submit to them.

Deuteronomy 13:1-5

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #154

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:53 am
In the end, I don't feel it is necessary to provide a text to support my observation that virgins do not give birth ...
Thanks for the observation, it adds little to the discussion, but should anybody need to know where babies come from I'm sure it will be most useful.

Have a nice day,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Clownboat
Savant

Post #155

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:53 am
In the end, I don't feel it is necessary to provide a text to support my observation that virgins do not give birth ...
Thanks for the observation,
Which one, that virgins don't give birth, or that it happens only in mythical god tales and/or religious holy books? Can you clarify please?
it adds little to the discussion,
That you fail to see the relevance is on you. Our readers may see a different value than you when someone claims that a virgin gave birth. Extraordinary claims should require extraordinary evidence afterall.
but should anybody need to know where babies come from I'm sure it will be most useful.
Again, that you think this is about where babies come from is your failure. We know how babies are made and we know that virgins don't make them.
Your other failure is that you can only point to religious promotional material for one out of many demigods and you decided that virgin must have given birth. I question your reasoning.

Answering this might shed light on your reasoning, so for th 4th time:
(Readers, watch again for the dodge. I think we can ascertain why).
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #156

Clownboat wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:46 pm
I do not answer loaded questions but should you care to define your terms and explain its relevance, I will read your post and give it due consideration.

Regards,

JW

RELATED POSTS
Was Jesus REALLY a human being?
viewtopic.php?p=1046277#p1046277

Does Jesus PREHUMAN existence, negate his later being born a "real" human?
viewtopic.php?p=1046464#p1046464
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JESUS CHRIST, CONCEPTION & BIRTH and ... HUMAN EXPERIENCE

tam
Savant

Post #157

Post by tam »

Peace to you!

Sorry, I had my parents for a visit last week (haven't seen them in a year), and then I had to work, so I am a bit late in responding. Thanks for your patience!
[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #125]

As to Lazarus, If taken as true, it has to be a fake miracle (and not the first). Consider: Jesus treks from Galilee to Peraea. Martha knows hes going to be there as that's where she sends the note. Jesus then waits two days before setting off. Why not immediately?
Doesn't He answer that question? John 11:15
In the Synoptics he arrives at Bethany Midday and gets on with the ride to the temple. John makes more sense with Jesus arriving from Jericho and after some scripted exchanges with Martha and Mary for the benefit of his followers, Lazarus is called out, bandaged so he can walk and not stinkething at all as he'd only been popped in the tomb near Bethany just before Jesus arrived.
Then (of course) supper, anointing (on the head) and next morning, pick up the donkey, tied up all ready (password, "The master needs it") and the Followers all furnished with palm leaves so it looks like just another Hoshanah procession (because it's Sukkhot, not Passover) and Jesus and his followers get into the Temple under the noses of Pilate and his cohort guard. Then the fun starts.

That (if we suppose it's true) fits the narrative better than a real miracle and the priests planning some exterminations because people will follow Jesus otherwise.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. You just described the narrative that includes the miracle, so I'm not sure what your 'that(if we suppose it's true)' represents.
It might all be made up, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a real story buried there. Jesus the Jewish insurrectionist and not Jesus the proto - Christian. You won't buy it, but to me there are two more likely scenarios (total fairy story or zealot Jesus) before we need consider the miracles and Christian preaching.
Other than the fact that Christ did indeed have zeal (for His Father), I'm not sure there's evidence that He was a Zealot (as in an insurrectionist against Rome).
:) And if you are going to do the stretch of the woman supposed to be stoned as Mary of Bethany (presumably Mary Magdalene) I can do the stretch of Lazarus brother of Mary and Martha Lazarus being the disciple that Jesus loved,

Okay... though both of these are true : )
the supper Martha gave being the last supper and Mary doing a messianic anointing as Jesus' queen to his Jewish king, if this plan comes off.
But Christ is the host of the last supper (He gave it, not Martha - and the host or hostess is the person who washes the feet of their guests, just as Christ washed the feet of His apostles after the supper).

Mary was also not the wife of Christ... though she would be PART of the Bride, which is the Church, made of people who are in Christ. Perhaps that is how the rumors started that Mary and Christ were married? *shrugs*
This of course means that Mary is no reformed sinner penitent but Jesus' wife (married at Cana) and close companion of Jesus' mother at the tomb, which is Arimathea's and also the Lazarus tomb, on the mount of Olives (Gethsemane)_ Quite near Bethany and the site of the crucifixion, (not in the city which was suburb at the time) as that's the only place Longinus Diccus could overlook the Temple and see the rending of the Temple veil.

Arimathea ...we wondered where Jesus father was? There's a Joseph, a rich member of the Sanhedrin, just as his relative, Lazarus was a rich young Ruler (synagogue president)
Where are you getting that Lazarus was a rich young ruler?
of course wants to save Jesus (using the Lazarus trick...and the same tomb), and he has influence with Pilate (whether or not we accept that he thinks Jesus innocent) and the Gospel of Mary tells us that she was the leader after Jesus and Peter's nose was put out of joint.
No one was the leader after Christ.

Christ said TO His apostles that they were all brothers and they had ONE leader, master, teacher: Christ Himself.

Not Peter. Not Paul. Not James. Not Mary either. Not even (Simon) Lazarus, the disciple Christ loved (who is also one of the 12 apostles).

So if there is a gospel that claims Mary was the leader, the author of that gospel is incorrect (or has been misunderstood).
It's all a stretch, but don't it tie up a lot of loose threads and make sense of a lot of puzzles?

The problem with tying up loose threads WITHOUT having all the evidence, is that there are so many different ways to do it (this is not much different than what religions do as well, except that religions claim to have some kind of authority). It might LOOK like it fits, but appearances can be and are deceiving. Speculation and discussion is one thing, but when it comes to knowing what is true, I will just stick with Christ (the One who does know). He knows where each puzzle piece fits exactly.

As to your idea of Joseph (husband of Mary) being Joseph of Arimathea, that is interesting. But I'm not sure how that - even if true - would discount the miracle of Lazarus being raised from the dead.

Peace again to you!
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

tam
Savant

Post #158

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:09 pm Indeed. Cafeteria Christians justify themselves by saying that they are choosing the good. And how can we double -damned deity -deniers disagree? At the same time, we have a grudging respect for those who refuse to budge from the Bible 'Cover to Cover" even when it is demonstrably wrong.
Out of curiosity, how many people and/or sects do you know who claim to follow the bible 'cover to cover' (or 'as a whole'), yet have different, even conflicting, beliefs and practices?

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Clownboat
Savant

Post #159

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:53 pm I do not answer loaded questions but should you care to define your terms and explain its relevance, I will read your post and give it due consideration.

dem·i·god
/ˈdemēˌɡäd/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

The question is not loaded and is an attempt to check for consistency. Is the belief that demigods are beings to be believed in a consistent belief, or is special pleading likely at play? Surely you can see how relevant the question is. After all, I'm sure you care if those you debate are consistent with their beliefs or not (if you are actually analyzing their beliefs that is, as I'm trying to do here).

So, with Jesus being 1, how many other demigods do you believe in? Partial list provided for assistance.

Achilles: son of the sea nymph Thetis (daughter of sea god Nereus), and Peleus, king of the Myrmidons.
Actaeon: son of Aristaeus and Autonoë, Boeotian prince who was turned into a stag by Artemis and torn to pieces by his own hounds.[2]
Aeacus: son of Zeus and Aegina who was the daughter of a river god. He was the father of Telamon and Peleus and grandfather of Ajax and Achilles.
Aeëtes: son of Helios. He was the king of Colchis and played a key role in the story of the Argonauts. His daughter Medea married the famous hero Jason.[3]
Aeneas: Trojan hero, son of Aphrodite, goddess of love and Prince Anchises. He fled to Italy and became the ancestor of Romulus and Remus, founders of Rome.
Amphion: son of Zeus and Antiope, and twin brother of Zethus.
Arcas: son of Zeus and Callisto, a nymph and minor goddess associated with Aphrodite.
Aristaeus: son of Apollo and Cyrene, a Thessalian princess. He was a shepherd who was made a god after inventing skills such as cheese-making and bee-keeping.[4]
Asclepius: son of Apollo and Coronis, who achieved divine status after death. He became such a great healer, that he could bring back the dead. Zeus killed him for this, but raised him from the dead as the god of healing and medicine.
Augeas: son of Helios, king of Elis. Heracles had to clean his stables as one of his famed twelve labours.[5]
Autolycus: son of Hermes. He was a famous thief and ancestor of Odysseus who was also Heracles' wrestling teacher.[6]
Bellerophon: according to Homer's Iliad, son of Glaucus and Eurymede of Corinth. According to Apollodorus and Hesiod's catalogues by Hyginus, he was a son of the sea god Poseidon by Eurymede.
Calais: son of Boreas (the Greek god of the cold north wind and the bringer of winter) and Oreithyia, daughter of King Erechtheus of Athens. His brother was Zethes, and they are collectively known as Boreads.[7]
Ceyx: son of Eosphorus, King of Trachis and husband of Alcyone.
Codrus: son of Poseidon and King of Athens, forefather of Ariston of Athens, father of Plato[8]
Dardanus: son of Zeus and Electra, daughter of Atlas.
Deucalion: son of Prometheus. He and his cousin-wife Pyrrha repopulated the earth after the Great Flood that ended the Bronze Age.[9]
Dionysus: son of Zeus and Semele, born a mortal, later became the god of wine.
Epaphus: son of Zeus and Io, a priestess of the goddess Hera (Zeus' wife).
Harmonia: according to Greek mythology was the daughter of Ares and Aphrodite.[10] However, in Samothrace mythology, she was the daughter of Zeus and Electra.[11]
Heracles: son of Zeus (king of the gods) and Alcmene, a mortal woman.
Helen of Sparta, also known as Helen of Troy: According to older sources, daughter of king Tyndareus and Leda,[12] but Homer also calls her daughter of Zeus and Leda. Wife of Menelaus, the king of Sparta.
Hippolyta: daughter of Ares, a Queen of the Amazons.
Hyacinthus: son of the Muse Clio and Oebalus of Sparta, lover of Apollo.
Iasion: son of Zeus and Electra (one of the seven daughters of Atlas and Pleione). He was the brother of Dardanus.
Ion: son of Apollo and Creusa of Athens. Creusa abandoned Ion when he was just a child, so he was raised by a pristess of Delphi. They eventually got reunited many years later.
Memnon: son of Tithonus and Eos, a Titan goddess of the dawn.
Minos: son of Zeus and Europa, and king of Crete. He commissioned Daedalus to build him the Labyrinth, where he hid the Minotaur, a bull-man creature born from the union of his wife Pasiphae and a bull.[13]
Narcissus: son of the river-god Cephissus and Liriope. A Boeotian hero who scorned many of his lovers, including Echo. Cursed by Nemesis, he ended up falling in love with his own reflection.[14]
Neleus: son of Poseidon and Tyro and king of Pylos. He was the twin brother of Pelias, who played a key role in the story of the Argonauts. He and most of his sons were killed by Heracles, leaving only one survivor.[15]
Orion: son of Poseidon (the sea god) and Euryale, a Cretan princess. Along with Hippolytus, he is one of the only male hunters who followed Artemis.
Orpheus: son of Calliope and the god Apollo.
Pasiphae: daughter of Helios. She was a powerful sorceress who married King Minos of Crete. Due to a curse from Aphrodite, she fell in love with the Cretan Bull. Her union with the bull produced the Minotaur.[16]
Pelias: son of Poseidon and Tyro and king of Iolcus. He was the twin brother of Neleus, and played a key role in the story of the Argonauts. He challenged his nephew Jason to sail to Colchis and bring back the legendary Golden Fleece. His daughters were tricked into killing him by Jason's wife Medea.[17]
Penthesilea: daughter of Ares and Otrera, a Queen of the Amazons.
Perseus: son of Zeus and mortal princess Danae, whom he impregnated as a golden shower.
Phaethon: Egyptian son of Helios and Clymene, famous for crashing the sun chariot.
Polydeuces, also known by his Roman name of Pollux: one of the Dioscuri and twin brother of Castor. He was son of Zeus and the mortal Leda while his twin had a mortal father, king Tyndareus (Leda's husband).
Pyrrha: daughter of Epimetheus and the first woman Pandora. She and her cousin-husband Deucalion repopulated the earth after the Great Flood that ended the Bronze Age.[18]
Sciron: son of Poseidon, a Corinthian bandit who was defeated by Theseus on his way to Athens.[19]
Tantalus: son of Zeus and the nymph Plouto, a Lydian king, father of Pelops and Niobe.[20]
Telegonus: son of the minor goddess Circe and Odysseus. He accidentally killed his father with a lance tipped with the venom of a stingray. He married his father's wife Penelope.[21]
Theseus: son of Poseidon (the sea god) and Aethra, the wife of king Aegeus.
Tityos: a giant, son of Zeus and Elara.
Zethes: son of Boreas (the Greek god of the cold north wind and the bringer of winter) and Oreithyia, daughter of King Erechtheus of Athens. His brother was Calais, and they are collectively known as Boreads.
Zethus: son of Zeus and Antiope, twin brother of Amphion, co-founder of Thebes.

Egyptian mythology
Imhotep: son of Thoth. One of the greatest builders in Ancient Egypt.
Apis: bull, son of Ptah. He became god of virility after his death and merged with Osiris, god of Underworld.
Petesuchos: sacred crocodile. Considered as son of Sobek or his incarnation.

Roman mythology
Bacchus: son of Jupiter and Semele, a mortal. The Roman god of agriculture, wine and fertility copied from the Greek god Dionysus.
Hercules: son of Jupiter and Alcmene. Often portrayed in popular fiction as either a demigod and as a god.
Romulus and Remus: twin sons of Mars and Rhea Silvia, co-founders of Rome.
Turnus: son of Venilia.

African mythology
Cetewayo: Zulu king. According to Mayomberos, Cetewayo was considered as son or incarnation of god Nsasi.
First kings of Lozi people (including Yeta I, Mwanasolundwi Muyunda Mumbo wa Mulonga, Inyambo and Ingulamwa) were sons of Nyambe, god of Sky.
Ju: half-brother of Nyikang. Son of Okwa and Angwat, a crocodile goddess.
Kabundungulu: twin brother and rival of Sudika-Mbambi. Son of the daughter of Sun and Moon and a mortal.
Moni-Mambu: trickster in Kongo tales. He was son of Nzambi a Mpungu (according to some legends).
Mwindo: demigod from Nyanga people.
Ntikuma and his brothers: son of Anansi, spider god of Akan traditions. The wisest of Anansi's sons. He is often victims of his father's tricks. Sons of Anansi are composed of Nankonhwea, Afudohwedohwe, Tikelenkelen, See Trouble, Road Builder, River Drinker, Skinner, Stone Thrower and Cushion/Ground Pillow and a girl, Anansewa.
Nyikang and his brothers, Duwat and Moi, and sisters, Nyadway, Ariemker and Bunyung: children of king Okwa and Nyikaya, a crocodile goddess, that their father had taken while she was by the river. Nyikang become the first king of Shilluk kingdom.
Ryan'gombe: traditional hero from Urundi and Rwanda, he was son of Babinga, chief of evil spirits, and a human who could change shape and turn into a lioness.
Sudika-mbambi: son of a mortal and the daughter of Sun and Moon. Sudika-Mbambi was the most important hero of the Mbundu people. Helped by Kabungunlu, his twin brother, he traveled to Underworld and fought against monsters and King of Underworld himself. When he died, he becomes god of thunder and justice.
Tahkar: demigod of justice.
Zumbi dos Palmares: according to legends around Zumbi, some considered him owned of Orixas or as son of Ogum.

Philippine mythology
Mayari: daughter of the Tagalog god Bathala and a mortal woman. Goddess of the moon and revolution, ruler of the world at nighttime.[22][23]
Tala: daughter of the Tagalog god Bathala and a mortal woman. Goddess of the stars.[24]
Hanan: daughter of the Tagalog god Bathala and a mortal woman. Goddess of morning.[25]
Apo Anno: son of a Kankanaey goddess and a mortal.[26]
Laon: Hiligaynon demigod slayer of Mount Kanlaon's mad dragon.[27]
Oryol: daughter of the Bicolano god Asuang and a mortal. Half-snake demigoddess who brought peace to the land.[28]
Labaw Dongon: son of the Suludnon goddess Alunsina (or Laun Sina) and the mortal Datu Paubari.[29]
Humadapnon: son of the Suludnon goddess Alunsina (or Laun Sina) and the mortal Datu Paubari.[30]
Dumalapdap: son of the Suludnon goddess Alunsina (or Laun Sina) and the mortal Datu Paubari.[31]
Ovug: son of the Ifugao god Dumagid and the mortal Dugai. Cut in half, his first reanimation is in the skyworld, causing lightning and sharp thunder, while the second reanimation in the earthworld causes low thunder.[32]
Takyayen: son of the Tinguian goddess Gagayoma and the mortal Apolinatu.[33]

Manipuri mythology
Further information: Manipuri mythology
Chothe Thangwai Pakhangba: Son of Sky God Soraren
Irai Leima: A human manifestation of Goddess Leimarel Sidabi
Nongshaba: Son of Salailen Sidaba, the creator of Universe
Nongthang Leima: Daughter of sky God Soraren

Hindu mythology
Abhimanyu: son of Arjuna and Subhadra; incarnation of Varcha-son of Chandra (Moon God)
Arjuna: spiritual son of Indra, biological son of Pandu and Kunti; incarnation of Nara.
Astik: son of rishi Jaratkaru and snake goddess Manasa (sister of Vasuki Naga)
Bhima: spiritual son of Vayu deva; biological son of Kunti and Pandu.
Bhishma: son of Kuru King Shantanu and the goddess Ganga. Bhishma was "Vasu" in his previous birth.
Dhristadyumna: materialised out of a ritual fire-altar; quasi son of fire god Agni; son of Kampilya King Drupada.
Draupadi: materialised out of a ritual fire-altar; quasi daughter of fire god Agni; daughter of Panchala King Drupada.
Drona: Avatar of Brihaspati and born with grace of Brahma; son of sage Bharatwaja.
Ghatotkacha: born of demigod Bhima and a demoness Hidimbā.
Hanuman: son of Vayu.
Iravan: The son of Pandava prince Arjuna (the main hero of the Mahabharata) and the Naga (snake) princess Ulupi.
Karna: spiritual son of Sun god Surya and biological son of Kunti.
Lakshmana: incarnation of the great serpent god Sesh Nag.
Nakula: spiritual son of one of the Ashwini Kumaras and biological son of Pandu and Madri.
Pururavas : son of Budha and Ila, daughter/son of Vaivasvata Manu
Sahadeva: spiritual son of one of the Ashwini Kumaras and biological son of Pandu and Madri.
Sugreeva: son of sun god Surya.
Vali: son of the king of all gods, the thunder god Indra.
Yudhishthira: spiritual son of the god of death and justice Yama and biological son of Kunti and Pandu.
Sita: Incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, daughter of Bhūmi-Earth goddess.

Norse mythology
Sæmingr: king of Norway, son of god Odin and queen Skade.
Bragi: another son of Odin.
Sigi: son of Odin and the ancestor of the Völsung lineage.
Sleipnir: child of Loki and Svaðilfari.

Celtic mythology
Cú Chulainn: son of the god Lugh and the mortal woman Deichtine.
Diarmuid Ua Duibhne: son of the god Donn and one of the Fianna.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demigods

For the record and consistency, I currently don't hold the belief that any of the claimed demigods were real demigods. I acknowledge that throughout human history, demigod claims were a fairly common geographical belief. For me, we either need to take these demigod claims seriously or discount them for not being valid explanations. Thus, what are your thoughts on the demigods, I wonder.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #160

Clownboat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:24 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:53 pm I do not answer loaded questions but should you care to define your terms and explain its relevance, I will read your post and give it due consideration.

dem·i·god
/ˈdemēˌɡäd/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

The question is not loaded and is an attempt to check for consistency. Is the belief that demigods are beings to be believed in a consistent belief, or is special pleading likely at play? Surely you can see how relevant the question is. After all, I'm sure you care if those you debate are consistent with their beliefs or not (if you are actually analyzing their beliefs that is, as I'm trying to do here).

So, with Jesus being 1, how many other demigods do you believe in? Partial list provided for assistance.

Achilles: son of the sea nymph Thetis (daughter of sea god Nereus), and Peleus, king of the Myrmidons.
Actaeon: son of Aristaeus and Autonoë, Boeotian prince who was turned into a stag by Artemis and torn to pieces by his own hounds.[2]
Aeacus: son of Zeus and Aegina who was the daughter of a river god. He was the father of Telamon and Peleus and grandfather of Ajax and Achilles.
Aeëtes: son of Helios. He was the king of Colchis and played a key role in the story of the Argonauts. His daughter Medea married the famous hero Jason.[3]
Aeneas: Trojan hero, son of Aphrodite, goddess of love and Prince Anchises. He fled to Italy and became the ancestor of Romulus and Remus, founders of Rome.
Amphion: son of Zeus and Antiope, and twin brother of Zethus.
Arcas: son of Zeus and Callisto, a nymph and minor goddess associated with Aphrodite.
Aristaeus: son of Apollo and Cyrene, a Thessalian princess. He was a shepherd who was made a god after inventing skills such as cheese-making and bee-keeping.[4]
Asclepius: son of Apollo and Coronis, who achieved divine status after death. He became such a great healer, that he could bring back the dead. Zeus killed him for this, but raised him from the dead as the god of healing and medicine.
Augeas: son of Helios, king of Elis. Heracles had to clean his stables as one of his famed twelve labours.[5]
Autolycus: son of Hermes. He was a famous thief and ancestor of Odysseus who was also Heracles' wrestling teacher.[6]
Bellerophon: according to Homer's Iliad, son of Glaucus and Eurymede of Corinth. According to Apollodorus and Hesiod's catalogues by Hyginus, he was a son of the sea god Poseidon by Eurymede.
Calais: son of Boreas (the Greek god of the cold north wind and the bringer of winter) and Oreithyia, daughter of King Erechtheus of Athens. His brother was Zethes, and they are collectively known as Boreads.[7]
Ceyx: son of Eosphorus, King of Trachis and husband of Alcyone.
Codrus: son of Poseidon and King of Athens, forefather of Ariston of Athens, father of Plato[8]
Dardanus: son of Zeus and Electra, daughter of Atlas.
Deucalion: son of Prometheus. He and his cousin-wife Pyrrha repopulated the earth after the Great Flood that ended the Bronze Age.[9]
Dionysus: son of Zeus and Semele, born a mortal, later became the god of wine.
Epaphus: son of Zeus and Io, a priestess of the goddess Hera (Zeus' wife).
Harmonia: according to Greek mythology was the daughter of Ares and Aphrodite.[10] However, in Samothrace mythology, she was the daughter of Zeus and Electra.[11]
Heracles: son of Zeus (king of the gods) and Alcmene, a mortal woman.
Helen of Sparta, also known as Helen of Troy: According to older sources, daughter of king Tyndareus and Leda,[12] but Homer also calls her daughter of Zeus and Leda. Wife of Menelaus, the king of Sparta.
Hippolyta: daughter of Ares, a Queen of the Amazons.
Hyacinthus: son of the Muse Clio and Oebalus of Sparta, lover of Apollo.
Iasion: son of Zeus and Electra (one of the seven daughters of Atlas and Pleione). He was the brother of Dardanus.
Ion: son of Apollo and Creusa of Athens. Creusa abandoned Ion when he was just a child, so he was raised by a pristess of Delphi. They eventually got reunited many years later.
Memnon: son of Tithonus and Eos, a Titan goddess of the dawn.
Minos: son of Zeus and Europa, and king of Crete. He commissioned Daedalus to build him the Labyrinth, where he hid the Minotaur, a bull-man creature born from the union of his wife Pasiphae and a bull.[13]
Narcissus: son of the river-god Cephissus and Liriope. A Boeotian hero who scorned many of his lovers, including Echo. Cursed by Nemesis, he ended up falling in love with his own reflection.[14]
Neleus: son of Poseidon and Tyro and king of Pylos. He was the twin brother of Pelias, who played a key role in the story of the Argonauts. He and most of his sons were killed by Heracles, leaving only one survivor.[15]
Orion: son of Poseidon (the sea god) and Euryale, a Cretan princess. Along with Hippolytus, he is one of the only male hunters who followed Artemis.
Orpheus: son of Calliope and the god Apollo.
Pasiphae: daughter of Helios. She was a powerful sorceress who married King Minos of Crete. Due to a curse from Aphrodite, she fell in love with the Cretan Bull. Her union with the bull produced the Minotaur.[16]
Pelias: son of Poseidon and Tyro and king of Iolcus. He was the twin brother of Neleus, and played a key role in the story of the Argonauts. He challenged his nephew Jason to sail to Colchis and bring back the legendary Golden Fleece. His daughters were tricked into killing him by Jason's wife Medea.[17]
Penthesilea: daughter of Ares and Otrera, a Queen of the Amazons.
Perseus: son of Zeus and mortal princess Danae, whom he impregnated as a golden shower.
Phaethon: Egyptian son of Helios and Clymene, famous for crashing the sun chariot.
Polydeuces, also known by his Roman name of Pollux: one of the Dioscuri and twin brother of Castor. He was son of Zeus and the mortal Leda while his twin had a mortal father, king Tyndareus (Leda's husband).
Pyrrha: daughter of Epimetheus and the first woman Pandora. She and her cousin-husband Deucalion repopulated the earth after the Great Flood that ended the Bronze Age.[18]
Sciron: son of Poseidon, a Corinthian bandit who was defeated by Theseus on his way to Athens.[19]
Tantalus: son of Zeus and the nymph Plouto, a Lydian king, father of Pelops and Niobe.[20]
Telegonus: son of the minor goddess Circe and Odysseus. He accidentally killed his father with a lance tipped with the venom of a stingray. He married his father's wife Penelope.[21]
Theseus: son of Poseidon (the sea god) and Aethra, the wife of king Aegeus.
Tityos: a giant, son of Zeus and Elara.
Zethes: son of Boreas (the Greek god of the cold north wind and the bringer of winter) and Oreithyia, daughter of King Erechtheus of Athens. His brother was Calais, and they are collectively known as Boreads.
Zethus: son of Zeus and Antiope, twin brother of Amphion, co-founder of Thebes.

Egyptian mythology
Imhotep: son of Thoth. One of the greatest builders in Ancient Egypt.
Apis: bull, son of Ptah. He became god of virility after his death and merged with Osiris, god of Underworld.
Petesuchos: sacred crocodile. Considered as son of Sobek or his incarnation.

Roman mythology
Bacchus: son of Jupiter and Semele, a mortal. The Roman god of agriculture, wine and fertility copied from the Greek god Dionysus.
Hercules: son of Jupiter and Alcmene. Often portrayed in popular fiction as either a demigod and as a god.
Romulus and Remus: twin sons of Mars and Rhea Silvia, co-founders of Rome.
Turnus: son of Venilia.

African mythology
Cetewayo: Zulu king. According to Mayomberos, Cetewayo was considered as son or incarnation of god Nsasi.
First kings of Lozi people (including Yeta I, Mwanasolundwi Muyunda Mumbo wa Mulonga, Inyambo and Ingulamwa) were sons of Nyambe, god of Sky.
Ju: half-brother of Nyikang. Son of Okwa and Angwat, a crocodile goddess.
Kabundungulu: twin brother and rival of Sudika-Mbambi. Son of the daughter of Sun and Moon and a mortal.
Moni-Mambu: trickster in Kongo tales. He was son of Nzambi a Mpungu (according to some legends).
Mwindo: demigod from Nyanga people.
Ntikuma and his brothers: son of Anansi, spider god of Akan traditions. The wisest of Anansi's sons. He is often victims of his father's tricks. Sons of Anansi are composed of Nankonhwea, Afudohwedohwe, Tikelenkelen, See Trouble, Road Builder, River Drinker, Skinner, Stone Thrower and Cushion/Ground Pillow and a girl, Anansewa.
Nyikang and his brothers, Duwat and Moi, and sisters, Nyadway, Ariemker and Bunyung: children of king Okwa and Nyikaya, a crocodile goddess, that their father had taken while she was by the river. Nyikang become the first king of Shilluk kingdom.
Ryan'gombe: traditional hero from Urundi and Rwanda, he was son of Babinga, chief of evil spirits, and a human who could change shape and turn into a lioness.
Sudika-mbambi: son of a mortal and the daughter of Sun and Moon. Sudika-Mbambi was the most important hero of the Mbundu people. Helped by Kabungunlu, his twin brother, he traveled to Underworld and fought against monsters and King of Underworld himself. When he died, he becomes god of thunder and justice.
Tahkar: demigod of justice.
Zumbi dos Palmares: according to legends around Zumbi, some considered him owned of Orixas or as son of Ogum.

Philippine mythology
Mayari: daughter of the Tagalog god Bathala and a mortal woman. Goddess of the moon and revolution, ruler of the world at nighttime.[22][23]
Tala: daughter of the Tagalog god Bathala and a mortal woman. Goddess of the stars.[24]
Hanan: daughter of the Tagalog god Bathala and a mortal woman. Goddess of morning.[25]
Apo Anno: son of a Kankanaey goddess and a mortal.[26]
Laon: Hiligaynon demigod slayer of Mount Kanlaon's mad dragon.[27]
Oryol: daughter of the Bicolano god Asuang and a mortal. Half-snake demigoddess who brought peace to the land.[28]
Labaw Dongon: son of the Suludnon goddess Alunsina (or Laun Sina) and the mortal Datu Paubari.[29]
Humadapnon: son of the Suludnon goddess Alunsina (or Laun Sina) and the mortal Datu Paubari.[30]
Dumalapdap: son of the Suludnon goddess Alunsina (or Laun Sina) and the mortal Datu Paubari.[31]
Ovug: son of the Ifugao god Dumagid and the mortal Dugai. Cut in half, his first reanimation is in the skyworld, causing lightning and sharp thunder, while the second reanimation in the earthworld causes low thunder.[32]
Takyayen: son of the Tinguian goddess Gagayoma and the mortal Apolinatu.[33]

Manipuri mythology
Further information: Manipuri mythology
Chothe Thangwai Pakhangba: Son of Sky God Soraren
Irai Leima: A human manifestation of Goddess Leimarel Sidabi
Nongshaba: Son of Salailen Sidaba, the creator of Universe
Nongthang Leima: Daughter of sky God Soraren

Hindu mythology
Abhimanyu: son of Arjuna and Subhadra; incarnation of Varcha-son of Chandra (Moon God)
Arjuna: spiritual son of Indra, biological son of Pandu and Kunti; incarnation of Nara.
Astik: son of rishi Jaratkaru and snake goddess Manasa (sister of Vasuki Naga)
Bhima: spiritual son of Vayu deva; biological son of Kunti and Pandu.
Bhishma: son of Kuru King Shantanu and the goddess Ganga. Bhishma was "Vasu" in his previous birth.
Dhristadyumna: materialised out of a ritual fire-altar; quasi son of fire god Agni; son of Kampilya King Drupada.
Draupadi: materialised out of a ritual fire-altar; quasi daughter of fire god Agni; daughter of Panchala King Drupada.
Drona: Avatar of Brihaspati and born with grace of Brahma; son of sage Bharatwaja.
Ghatotkacha: born of demigod Bhima and a demoness Hidimbā.
Hanuman: son of Vayu.
Iravan: The son of Pandava prince Arjuna (the main hero of the Mahabharata) and the Naga (snake) princess Ulupi.
Karna: spiritual son of Sun god Surya and biological son of Kunti.
Lakshmana: incarnation of the great serpent god Sesh Nag.
Nakula: spiritual son of one of the Ashwini Kumaras and biological son of Pandu and Madri.
Pururavas : son of Budha and Ila, daughter/son of Vaivasvata Manu
Sahadeva: spiritual son of one of the Ashwini Kumaras and biological son of Pandu and Madri.
Sugreeva: son of sun god Surya.
Vali: son of the king of all gods, the thunder god Indra.
Yudhishthira: spiritual son of the god of death and justice Yama and biological son of Kunti and Pandu.
Sita: Incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, daughter of Bhūmi-Earth goddess.

Norse mythology
Sæmingr: king of Norway, son of god Odin and queen Skade.
Bragi: another son of Odin.
Sigi: son of Odin and the ancestor of the Völsung lineage.
Sleipnir: child of Loki and Svaðilfari.

Celtic mythology
Cú Chulainn: son of the god Lugh and the mortal woman Deichtine.
Diarmuid Ua Duibhne: son of the god Donn and one of the Fianna.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demigods

For the record and consistency, I currently don't hold the belief that any of the claimed demigods were real demigods. I acknowledge that throughout human history, demigod claims were a fairly common geographical belief. For me, we either need to take these demigod claims seriously or discount them for not being valid explanations. Thus, what are your thoughts on the demigods, I wonder.

Thank you for your effort - do,you feel able to explain (preferably in your own words ) why you believe this block of text you have copy-pasted is relevant to what I have written and how?

JW