If you don't follow a/the Church...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

If you don't follow a/the Church...

Post #1

Post by Willum »

If you claim to believe in the Christian god, but do not follow or believe in the practices of any church, and have your own unique perspective of this God, how can you distinguish this from a god you have simply made up?

In other words, how can you know your beliefs about God are better than a churches?
In other words, how do you know, of all the perspectives and interpretations of God, your's are correct? Or that God is what you have imagined?
And if not, how do you justify inventing or imagining a God in defiance of the certainly greater wisdom of a congregation?

If you are wrong, is it not CERTAINLY blasphemy to invent details of God you have no basis for believing are true?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: If you don't follow a/the Church...

Post #141

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:05 pm ...I don't need someone to have authority over me to explain what the Bible says.
HEBREWS 13:17

Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and, be submissive , for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account.
1TIMOTHY 3:2

The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach,

Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:05 pm ...I don't need someone to have authority over me to explain what the Bible says.
1 TIMOTHY 5:17

Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.

1 THESSELONIANS 5:12

...show respect for those who are working hard among you and presiding over you in the Lord and admonishing you.

1 MATTHEW 24:45

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #142

Post by Miles »

Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:05 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:11 pm
Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:42 am [Replying to Willum in post #1]

If the Bible is the source for what practices to follow, why would anyone need a "church" to tell them?

I can read the Bible for myself. I can do what it says..

And what do you do when you read in the bible you should go to church*?

* meet regularly with fellow believes to receive encouragement notably from those appointed to be teachers
I can go. But, I don't need someone to have authority over me to explain what the Bible says.
I suspect it isn't not needing, but not wanting someone to have authority over you to explain what the Bible says. And in a way I don't blame you. Doing one's own cherry picking can be much more rewarding, especially when it comes to defending your own theology.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #143

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Indeed. Cafeteria Christians justify themselves by saying that they are choosing the good. And how can we double -damned deity -deniers disagree? At the same time, we have a grudging respect for those who refuse to budge from the Bible 'Cover to Cover" even when it is demonstrably wrong.

Obviously the cherry pickers are much more reasonable, and we hellbent satanspawn just see that as their starting on the long road to agnosticism (at least) while protesting vehemently, all the way, that they are absolutely Right with every change of position they make.

Candle
Student

Post #144

Post by Candle »

Willum wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:09 pm [Replying to Candle in post #133]

ARE YOU REALLY replying to the original post?
Pretty sure I did.

Candle
Student

Post #145

Post by Candle »

[Replying to Miles in post #142]

Accusations without evidence are confessions through projection.

Candle
Student

Post #146

Post by Candle »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:38 pm

Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and, be submissive , for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account.

The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible, a husband of one wife, moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach,

Let the elders who preside in a fine way be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.

...show respect for those who are working hard among you and presiding over you in the Lord and admonishing you.

Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?
You feel that you should submit to the authority of the Governing Body. I know from my own study that they don't qualify. I freely accept the teaching of anyone who is meeting the qualifications. Anyone who teaches contrary to the Torah is not qualified. Deuteronomy 13

Miles
Savant

Post #147

Post by Miles »

Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:21 pm [Replying to Miles in post #142]

Not the stupidest thing I've ever read, but close to it.

Thanks for the day brightener.

brunumb
Savant

Post #148

Post by brunumb »

Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:21 pm [Replying to Miles in post #142]

Something that regularly bites Christian apologists on the backside.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #149

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:28 pm

...I freely accept the teaching of anyone who is meeting the qualifications. ...
So you accept that you should be taught by human elders at regular meetings? You read your bible? Why did you not comment on the scriptures above? Could it be because they are clearly saying a believer should go to church! Isn't going to churchh what we call it when believers meet together for worship?

DO BELIEVERS HAVE TO GO TO CHURCH?
1 HEBREWS 10:23

And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom ... ?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Candle
Student

Post #150

Post by Candle »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:24 am
Candle wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:28 pm

...I freely accept the teaching of anyone who is meeting the qualifications. ...
So you accept that you should be taught by human elders at regular meetings? You read your bible? Why did you not comment on the scriptures above? Could it be because they are clearly saying a believer should go to church! Isn't going to churchh what we call it when believers meet together for worship?

DO BELIEVERS HAVE TO GO TO CHURCH?
1 HEBREWS 10:23

And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom ... ?
"Going to church" and "submitting to authority" are altogether different.