The capability to sin

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

The capability to sin

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Are there any other applications of freewill other then to sin?
Without freewill, we would be living God’s will.

Making freewill a very dubious gift indeed.

So, in God granting freewill, was there any other opportunity or benefit to it, other then the capability and eventuality of sin?

If you could choose to live in God’s will, without freewill, would you?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: The capability to sin

Post #71

Post by Eloi »

William wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:10 pm
Eloi wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:53 pm
William wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:48 pm (...) What is "non-free will"?
Good question.

Actually, if there is not "free will", who did decide for me which shoes I am using now? ... or to post this comment on this forum right now?
Deciding for oneself is exercising ones will so "non free will' is having no ability to exercise ones will...
The question was asked in relation to the apparently flawed idea that the word 'free' is somehow synonymous with the ability to exercise ones will.
Why the will requires the addition of being labelled as 'free' has not been established as necessary in the first place.

Perhaps the real question being asked in this round-about manner is;

Q: Is having a will actually a "gift"...even if it were claimed to be given freely. We already should understand that there is cost involved, which makes that idea somewhat suspect.
Who is deciding for you?
Most decisions made which effect me, are made without my will in those matters being involved.

Perhaps it is different for you?
"Free will" is a compound phrase, an idiom. The word "free" emphasizes freedom of choice or own will, not the will of others. This kind of expression is called "pleonasm".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleonasm