Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Project Blue Beam

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

https://www.news.com.au/technology/proj ... daddeb0953

Conspiracy? Fantasy? Maybe. But how would one know if something like this were to occur?

For discussion:
How would Billy Bob christian know if something like this were to happen, that it wasn't real? How could Billy Bob decipher 'real' from 'fake'? What makes YOU, believer, better than Billy Bob christian that may believe in such a thing?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Project Blue Beam

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

Difflugia wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:19 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:15 pmHow would Billy Bob christian know if something like this were to happen, that it wasn't real? How could Billy Bob decipher 'real' from 'fake'? What makes YOU, believer, better than Billy Bob christian that may believe in such a thing?
The larger the circle of conspirators, the more difficult it is to keep a conspiracy secret. The technological and engineering requirements of the project they're describing would require such a huge circle of conspirators that it borders on the impossible. Not only must none of the conspirators belong to any of the major religions, but even the selection process would have to be secret from the religious that were excluded.

Successful secret conspiracies don't require a large group of conspirators. Conspiracies that are large and successful don't rely on secrecy.

In a broad sense, being able to estimate and compare probabilities is what allows one to separate plausible from implausible. Not all plausible stories are true, but this one's too implausible to pass even a vague sniff test.
This is why things like the faked moon landing acceptance always boggled my mind. Within the bigfoot and alien community, there's a thinking that all the world governments are 'hiding' that from people. They don't seem to understand how many people that would need to work together to hid such a thing, not to mention all these governments working together (many governments that don't much like the other ones).
This may fall into this category as well, but the concept itself remains true: fool enough people and you could, potentially, have a powerful piece on your hands.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:01 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:57 pm ...
A bible educate Christian knows Gods Program of future events and will not be fooled by any that do not align with that prophecied in scripture.
Keep that program vague enough, and everyone's a prophet.
In my experience, prophecy has never worked. The method is to identify prophecies retrospectively, and in vague cryptic ways that were never recognised beforehand. Just the same self delusion that we see in trying to find science in the Bible (or indeed the Quran - Muslims do it, too). Whenever prophecies are made beforehand, they fail. Repeatedly.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

They have failed so often that the efforts to try to peddle us yet more prophecies is almost insulting.

I haven't looked up what Blue Beam is and I can't be bothered. But as far as prophecy goes, it has failed, as surely as all the old claims for religion: the science, the history, the personal experiences, the philosophy; and my mission and effort is to show that the Gospel -story is not eyewitness or even reliable, but a fabrication by post - Pauline Greek Christians, and I hope and trust that this will become understood as much as it is slowly becoming realised that the arguments from morality, personal experiences, Creation - 'science', Biblical 'archaeology', payer and prophecy are all failed claims, and the problem is not the debate but 'getting the results accepted'. It is no coincidence that the methods of religious propaganda are seen in other areas, where one - sided control of the media, education and authority is far more important than the science, and peddling a Big Lie is more important than accepting the facts.

When one side has to try to control the argument so only they get to say what's true and what isn't, you know it's a scam (1). Repeated claims for future prophecy when it's all failed in the past is an attempt to bamboozle us which should be laughed at, raucously, as attempts to reason are met with denial and further insulting attempts to fool us, like trying to use the retrospective prophecy method to argue that it's all be coming to pass over the last 100 years.

It really is a valid mindset to say 'I'll believe it when I see it', especially when dozens of former claims have not produced the goods. It is NOT valid to play the 'nobody can be sure' card, because if nobody can be sure, belief in any claim is without foundation. But peddling the idea that personal opinion and denial of debunking evidence is valid and even admirable (Faith is Good; "he at least has the courage of his convictions") has been the default on human consensus - thinking for too long. Whether it's been pushed by the ones who want to lead us around by the nose or (rather) it's a human instinct to grab a personal preference and stubbornly deny any evidence against it; and that has been exploited by exploiters, who don't know critical thinking and would despise it even if they did.

I'm ranting :) of course, but it has been frustrating over the last half - century to see global society that still seems to prefer conspiracy theories, Faith -claims, supernatural stories and denialist demagoguery to the minimal (and indeed in these days) entertaining research that would show this stuff to be unfounded, unreliable and unhelpful, if not actually socially toxic, exploitative and dangerous. We are still dealing with the fallout from the Gods from Outer Space nonsense, especially since it has been co - opted for the Alternative History of Creationism.

Here endeth the lesson. O:)

(1) cue the Projected accusation that science Controls the information (never mind the one that atheists control science), forgetting that 'science is always changing its' mind'. They don't get the idea of results of research, debate and validation, and only can imagine dominant Authority controlling information.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:03 am In my experience, prophecy has never worked.
You've obviously not met the prophetess pretty thing...

"Joey, If you do what I said don't, or don't what I said do, you're gonna hafta hear it from me".

Absolute, 100% accuracy.

But yeah, prophecy after the fact is as impressive as my PhD.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:15 pm ...
How would Billy Bob christian know if something like this were to happen, that it wasn't real? How could Billy Bob decipher 'real' from 'fake'? What makes YOU, believer, better than Billy Bob christian that may believe in such a thing?
If people can do that, I believe they will do that, because it seems to me that world leaders are utterly evil. And I separate real from fake that the fakes goal is to enslave people.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #15

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:40 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:03 am In my experience, prophecy has never worked.
You've obviously not met the prophetess pretty thing...

"Joey, If you do what I said don't, or don't what I said do, you're gonna hafta hear it from me".

Absolute, 100% accuracy.

But yeah, prophecy after the fact is as impressive as my PhD.
My prety thing had it nained, too:

"Whatever way it turns out, that's what I said would happen."

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Difflugia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:40 amBut yeah, prophecy after the fact is as impressive as my PhD.
Kind of like 1 Kings 13:2 and 2 Kings 23:17.

Jeremiah: Hey, King Josiah! This book I'm writing says that a prophet four-hundred years ago foretold that you would do everything you're doing now! He even got your name right! Amazing, huh? Careful, the ink's still wet.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.