Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Religion is an instinct

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Link below, for your viewing pleasure.

Not to turn this into a 'theist aren't as smart as atheists' debate. What I found interesting is, from the article: "Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them."

Most everyone has a 'routine': wake up, brush teeth, shower, coffee, phone scroll, dress for work, take the same way to work, go to lunch at X time, leave at Y time, get home, take off your shoes, grab a drink, walk the dog, cook, TV/read, news, sleep, repeat (for example).

I found this concept fascinating.
And it makes a lot of sense: religious people (christians here, going forward) are very ritualistic in not only their views on religion but their actions of it, as well: baptisms, communions, prayers, religious services, systematic reading of the bible only (or at least, majorly).

Instinct could be why some feel it necessary to attribute morality, for example, to god. It's what 'we've always done'. This could also be the reason why there is so much fear among some christians for 'change': can't marry that person of a different race or same sex; guys can't have long hair; can't drink caffeine; can't dance; must be republican; must go to church on this day; must get married in a church; must be baptized; etc (it's worth noting these beliefs aren't shared will all christians, simply giving examples from some christians).

For discussion:
How is religion and the belief in it and god, NOT an instinct?

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-a ... igent.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

tam
Savant

Re: Religion is an instinct

Post #31

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
nobspeople wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:16 pm [Replying to tam in post #29]
The article failed to demonstrate that religion is an instinct.
What I got from it was the need for people to believe as if that need was an instinct, not religion itself.
Can you explain how that would change the point from my previous post?
If those are supposed to be examples of instinctual behavior, then atheists would be every bit as instinctual as religious people. Just in different things. This would undermine the the 'hypothesis' of the study.
It's important to note the things I listed were from me, not the article and shouldn't be taken to discredit (or credit) the article itself. The idea was, as you said, routine, nothing more.
Sure, but since those things do not demonstrate that a theist is more instinctual than an atheist, might I ask what your point was in bringing them up?
I don't see how you're describing instinct here; rather than tradition and/or rule-following.
I see tradition could be instinctually based. That doesn't mean tradition is good or bad, just something people partake in for no other good reason than it's 'part of humanity', in a sense.
I actually see tradition as the exact opposite of instinct. Traditions must be handed down and taught (sometimes in precise detail). How does that describe instinct?

If you were to attempt to go all the way back to the root of a tradition, I suppose that root could be instinctively based, but it could also be based on something else. The tradition of eating only fish on a Friday has nothing to do with instinct; that is just a rule/tradition that a religion made, that some people accepted.

(Please note that I am not suggesting instinct is good or bad, or even that instinct must be based on something false. Mankind has sought out the spiritual, the Spirit/Creator in various ways, in all cultures, for as far back as we can find evidence. Is that because it is instinctive (for whatever reason)... and/or... is that because the spiritual and Spirit exist, and we have that knowing inside of us? Therefore, we seek because there is someone TO seek, even someone who is calling to us?)

That can apply to both atheists and theists.
Yes. As can stupidity, racism, loving, smelly, tall, fatness, etc. The article was attempting to show correlations and, according to the findings, correlates these things with religion and religious viewing.
Correlates what things with religion and religious viewing? Can you please be specific? Because the article fails to prove the hypothesis that 'religion' is an instinct. The article also lists various problems associated with that hypothesis.

Indeed, there is even this Teacher in a faith who actually teaches others to rise above that instinct and well, you know... turn the other cheek.
Teachings are only as good as the students who apply said teachings.
What does your comment have to do with the point about instinct? Mine was directly related (the instinctive reaction to being struck on one cheek is NOT to turn the other cheek).

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to tam in post #31]
Can you explain how that would change the point from my previous post?
You said "The article failed to demonstrate that religion is an instinct." To me, you were talking about the 'thing' religion.
I said "...was the need for people to believe as if that need was an instinct, not religion itself."
Religion and the need to have/believe in a religion are two different things
but since those things do not demonstrate that a theist is more instinctual than an atheist, might I ask what your point was in bringing them up?
It was a verbalization of thought, created by the topic that relates
I actually see tradition as the exact opposite of instinct. Traditions must be handed down and taught (sometimes in precise detail). How does that describe instinct?
The need to do something like this is instinctual I believe. If you don't, that's, of course, fine.
Correlates what things with religion and religious viewing? Can you please be specific? Because the article fails to prove the hypothesis that 'religion' is an instinct. The article also lists various problems associated with that hypothesis.
Humans have an instinct to believe in something. It's really very simple in that regard.
What does your comment have to do with the point about instinct?
It was a response to your comment about teaching

Have a great, potentially godless, day all!

Miles
Savant

Post #33

Post by Miles »

---Picking up on an old post I evidently missed---

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:36 pm We all know what is being an adult. Actually, we, Jehovah's Witness can tell very well.
Good for you. Image Join the crowd.

The point is we will never be mature enough.
Mature enough for what?

Listen our human leaders, they say childish things many times, hehehe.
In light of the thread's subject, "religion, an instinct or not," your point here is, what?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:47 pm .

---Picking up on an old post I evidently missed---

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:36 pm We all know what is being an adult. Actually, we, Jehovah's Witness can tell very well.
Good for you. Image Join the crowd.

The point is we will never be mature enough.
Mature enough for what?

Listen our human leaders, they say childish things many times, hehehe.
In light of the thread's subject, "religion, an instinct or not," your point here is, what?

You forgot to end your post with 'hehehe'. That makes ALL the difference here!