Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Religion is an instinct

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Link below, for your viewing pleasure.

Not to turn this into a 'theist aren't as smart as atheists' debate. What I found interesting is, from the article: "Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them."

Most everyone has a 'routine': wake up, brush teeth, shower, coffee, phone scroll, dress for work, take the same way to work, go to lunch at X time, leave at Y time, get home, take off your shoes, grab a drink, walk the dog, cook, TV/read, news, sleep, repeat (for example).

I found this concept fascinating.
And it makes a lot of sense: religious people (christians here, going forward) are very ritualistic in not only their views on religion but their actions of it, as well: baptisms, communions, prayers, religious services, systematic reading of the bible only (or at least, majorly).

Instinct could be why some feel it necessary to attribute morality, for example, to god. It's what 'we've always done'. This could also be the reason why there is so much fear among some christians for 'change': can't marry that person of a different race or same sex; guys can't have long hair; can't drink caffeine; can't dance; must be republican; must go to church on this day; must get married in a church; must be baptized; etc (it's worth noting these beliefs aren't shared will all christians, simply giving examples from some christians).

For discussion:
How is religion and the belief in it and god, NOT an instinct?

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-a ... igent.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Religion is an instinct

Post #11

Post by Eloi »

Goat wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:26 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:54 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:40 pm .

I don't see religion as a instinct at all; something inborn or naturally occurring. Rather, I regard religion as a set of beliefs and activities purposely concocted, and usually grounded in the supernatural, to sooth one's worries, fears, anxieties, despair, etc., etc.

So rather than an instinct, I see religion as a concocted panacea.

I don't disagree, but I wonder if the instinct could be to seek comfort. Religion simply, at least in some cases, provides it.

Tcg
One person , who had a very abusive childhood claims they were able to stop being suicidal by the use of religion. If it helped, that great. Doesn't mean their religious beliefs are true, but it helped center them.
Some have also left religion due to some trauma with a priest... If that resolved their trauma, then at least they should not have confused one who says that he is a representative of God with God.

God is the One who feeds the human race, warms it and gives it air to breath and water to drink, not atheists.

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:09 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:06 pm
Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm Before coming into the world as independent beings, we all have to be inside the womb of a woman, feed on her, breathe from her, warm ourselves from her... or at least receive the same from the environment where they are being formed to be born. This feeling of dependency never ceases, it is internal, to the point that many listen to sounds similar to those inside a pregnant woman to relax tensions. All human beings are a baby inside; one who needs and depends on God to feel alive and healthy... that someone is not aware does not change anything at all.
Prove it. A mere claim means nothing.

When lightning is falling from the sky, don't you run?
Can't ever remember lightening being that close that running was warranted. In fact, if I was that close I could never outrun it anyway. Best option would be to duck and cover.

When you feel sick, don't you look for someone to take care of you?
Not really. I've always been a pretty self sufficient guy.

When you have a need, don't you ask for help?
Sometimes, yes. But what does any of this have to do with religion being instinctual or not?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Eloi »

Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:33 pm
Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:09 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:06 pm
Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm Before coming into the world as independent beings, we all have to be inside the womb of a woman, feed on her, breathe from her, warm ourselves from her... or at least receive the same from the environment where they are being formed to be born. This feeling of dependency never ceases, it is internal, to the point that many listen to sounds similar to those inside a pregnant woman to relax tensions. All human beings are a baby inside; one who needs and depends on God to feel alive and healthy... that someone is not aware does not change anything at all.
Prove it. A mere claim means nothing.

When lightning is falling from the sky, don't you run?
Can't ever remember lightening being that close that running was warranted. In fact, if I was that close I could never outrun it anyway. Best option would be to duck and cover.

Not really. I've always been a pretty self sufficient guy.

Sometimes, yes. But what does any of this have to do with religion being instinctual or not?

We all know what is being an adult. Actually, we, Jehovah's Witness can tell very well.
The point is we will never be mature enough. Listen our human leaders, they say childish things many times, hehehe.

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

Goat wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:26 pm
Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:54 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:40 pm .

I don't see religion as a instinct at all; something inborn or naturally occurring. Rather, I regard religion as a set of beliefs and activities purposely concocted, and usually grounded in the supernatural, to sooth one's worries, fears, anxieties, despair, etc., etc.

So rather than an instinct, I see religion as a concocted panacea.

I don't disagree, but I wonder if the instinct could be to seek comfort. Religion simply, at least in some cases, provides it.

Tcg
One person , who had a very abusive childhood claims they were able to stop being suicidal by the use of religion. If it helped, that great. Doesn't mean their religious beliefs are true, but it helped center them.
No doubt. It's hard to imagine religion surviving as long as it has if it provides no benefit to humans. Functionally useful is one thing. Factually true is quite another. Perhaps this points to the power of myth. It doesn't need to be literally true to be helpful.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Eloi »

Thanks to respect for God, some people still decide to apply the high biblical principles.
Imagine what would happen if all people believed they were animals and may the strongest survive.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Goat »

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:30 pm
God is the One who feeds the human race, warms it and gives it air to breath and water to drink, not atheists.
That is a belief. It is a belief that can not be shown to be true. It might be an emotional belief that give you comfort, but there is no objective and tangible evidence for it that can show the model of the god hypothesis to be true.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Eloi »

It is NOT A BELIEF that I don't need to buy food from anyone if I have a piece of land and a couple of seeds; and from that I'll feed all mine and probably a few more. In my country, sometimes I just had to go under a tree that grew out of a seed without the help of any man and ate its fruit, without having done anything. Nor is it a belief that I can breathe fresh air without having air conditioning, and warm myself with the sun without having artificial heating... or that to drink water I could only go to a river that humans have not yet polluted.

I think you have many beliefs about beliefs, which do not fit reality.

brunumb
Savant

Post #18

Post by brunumb »

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:09 pm When lightning is falling from the sky, don't you run?
The instinct for self-preservation exists in all animals. No gods necessary.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #19

Post by brunumb »

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:30 pm God is the One who feeds the human race, warms it and gives it air to breath and water to drink, not atheists.
A truly inane statement. That aside, try telling it to the people starving and dying of thirst in drought stricken areas praying to your God to help them. At least fellow human beings are more likely to make the attempt, regardless of their religious persuasion.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #20

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I can certainly see an instinct, and if I can't readily see it in 'lower' animals as i can gangs in Chimp patrols and royalty in the Alpha breeding pair, I can see it as a human need and indeed a tribal bond, not to mention a motivator for war against another tribe.

Obviously the basic instinct is not related to any particular religion and the Christian insisting that their God is the only True manifestation of this instinct is futile, other than signalling to other believers what they should believe. Christianity (like any other religion or any other Dogma) relies on popular support; if people generally come to realise that Christianity is just not true (on all evidence) it is finished,and even appeal to 'We need it, true or not' will be going down then tube, as of course the benefits (if any) do not have to be religion - specific and, like Morality, is better understood biologically rather than mythologically.

I need hardly dwell on a couple of posts above tossing in faith -claims. We may indeed owe gratitude to evolution for us being here (including worship of the asteroid, without which extinction event we wouldn't be here) and to the Biosphere for sustaining us; but to claim that it's the God of the Bible is a leap of Faith without any real merit whatsoever.