Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Religion is an instinct

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Link below, for your viewing pleasure.

Not to turn this into a 'theist aren't as smart as atheists' debate. What I found interesting is, from the article: "Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them."

Most everyone has a 'routine': wake up, brush teeth, shower, coffee, phone scroll, dress for work, take the same way to work, go to lunch at X time, leave at Y time, get home, take off your shoes, grab a drink, walk the dog, cook, TV/read, news, sleep, repeat (for example).

I found this concept fascinating.
And it makes a lot of sense: religious people (christians here, going forward) are very ritualistic in not only their views on religion but their actions of it, as well: baptisms, communions, prayers, religious services, systematic reading of the bible only (or at least, majorly).

Instinct could be why some feel it necessary to attribute morality, for example, to god. It's what 'we've always done'. This could also be the reason why there is so much fear among some christians for 'change': can't marry that person of a different race or same sex; guys can't have long hair; can't drink caffeine; can't dance; must be republican; must go to church on this day; must get married in a church; must be baptized; etc (it's worth noting these beliefs aren't shared will all christians, simply giving examples from some christians).

For discussion:
How is religion and the belief in it and god, NOT an instinct?

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-a ... igent.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Religion is an instinct

Post #2

Post by Miles »

I don't see religion as a instinct at all; something inborn or naturally occurring. Rather, I regard religion as a set of beliefs and activities purposely concocted, and usually grounded in the supernatural, to typically sooth one's worries, fears, anxieties, despair, etc., etc.

So rather than an instinct, I see religion as a concocted panacea.

Last edited by Miles on Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:40 pm .

I don't see religion as a instinct at all; something inborn or naturally occurring. Rather, I regard religion as a set of beliefs and activities purposely concocted, and usually grounded in the supernatural, to sooth one's worries, fears, anxieties, despair, etc., etc.

I don't disagree, but I wonder if the instinct could be to seek comfort. Religion simply, at least in some cases, provides it.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:54 pm

I don't see religion as a instinct at all; something inborn or naturally occurring. Rather, I regard religion as a set of beliefs and activities purposely concocted, and usually grounded in the supernatural, to sooth one's worries, fears, anxieties, despair, etc., etc.

I don't disagree, but I wonder if the instinct could be to seek comfort. Religion simply, at least in some cases, provides it.
Absolutely. While I don't think religion is an instinct, I agree that seeking comfort is.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Eloi »

Before coming into the world as independent beings, we all have to be inside the womb of a woman, feed on her, breathe from her, warm ourselves from her... or at least receive the same from the environment where they are being formed to be born. This feeling of dependency never ceases, it is internal, to the point that many listen to sounds similar to those inside a pregnant woman to relax tensions. All human beings are a baby inside; one who needs and depends on God to feel alive and healthy... that someone is not aware does not change anything at all.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm Before coming into the world as independent beings, we all have to be inside the womb of a woman, feed on her, breathe from her, warm ourselves from her... or at least receive the same from the environment where they are being formed to be born. This feeling of dependency never ceases, it is internal, to the point that many listen to sounds similar to those inside a pregnant woman to relax tensions. All human beings are a baby inside; one who needs and depends on God to feel alive and healthy... that someone is not aware does not change anything at all.
Prove it. A mere claim means nothing.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm All human beings are a baby inside; one who needs and depends on God to feel alive and healthy... that someone is not aware does not change anything at all.
Uh, no. Not even close. Change the "All" to "Some" and you may have a point. Some humans do seem to need and depend on god/gods, well the concept of god/gods, to feel alive and healthy. There's a whole bunch of us who don't.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Eloi »

Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:06 pm
Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm Before coming into the world as independent beings, we all have to be inside the womb of a woman, feed on her, breathe from her, warm ourselves from her... or at least receive the same from the environment where they are being formed to be born. This feeling of dependency never ceases, it is internal, to the point that many listen to sounds similar to those inside a pregnant woman to relax tensions. All human beings are a baby inside; one who needs and depends on God to feel alive and healthy... that someone is not aware does not change anything at all.
Prove it. A mere claim means nothing.

When lightning is falling from the sky, don't you run?
When you feel sick, don't you look for someone to take care of you?
When you have a need, don't you ask for help?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Eloi »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:07 pm
Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:44 pm All human beings are a baby inside; one who needs and depends on God to feel alive and healthy... that someone is not aware does not change anything at all.
Uh, no. Not even close. Change the "All" to "Some" and you may have a point. Some humans do seem to need and depend on god/gods, well the concept of god/gods, to feel alive and healthy. There's a whole bunch of us who don't.

Tcg
Well, if you consider yourself an animal... I don't know what you have to say about human beings.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Goat »

Tcg wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:54 pm

Tcg
One person , who had a very abusive childhood claims they were able to stop being suicidal by the use of religion. If it helped, that great. Doesn't mean their religious beliefs are true, but it helped center them.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella