Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Religion is an instinct

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Link below, for your viewing pleasure.

Not to turn this into a 'theist aren't as smart as atheists' debate. What I found interesting is, from the article: "Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them."

Most everyone has a 'routine': wake up, brush teeth, shower, coffee, phone scroll, dress for work, take the same way to work, go to lunch at X time, leave at Y time, get home, take off your shoes, grab a drink, walk the dog, cook, TV/read, news, sleep, repeat (for example).

I found this concept fascinating.
And it makes a lot of sense: religious people (christians here, going forward) are very ritualistic in not only their views on religion but their actions of it, as well: baptisms, communions, prayers, religious services, systematic reading of the bible only (or at least, majorly).

Instinct could be why some feel it necessary to attribute morality, for example, to god. It's what 'we've always done'. This could also be the reason why there is so much fear among some christians for 'change': can't marry that person of a different race or same sex; guys can't have long hair; can't drink caffeine; can't dance; must be republican; must go to church on this day; must get married in a church; must be baptized; etc (it's worth noting these beliefs aren't shared will all christians, simply giving examples from some christians).

For discussion:
How is religion and the belief in it and god, NOT an instinct?

https://www.livescience.com/59361-why-a ... igent.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Religion is an instinct

Post #21

Post by Eloi »

brunumb wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:16 pm
Eloi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:09 pm When lightning is falling from the sky, don't you run?
When you feel sick, don't you look for someone to take care of you?
When you have a need, don't you ask for help?
The instinct for self-preservation exists in all animals. No gods necessary.
Not sure what you say; do you think animals are atheists? :D
They know, more than some humans, where they come from. Consider monarch butterflies; a generation of great-granddaughters returns from Canada to Mexico, where their ancestors lived, and no human told them. Who do you think arranged it like that? Are you going, atheist, to change their course?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:40 pm .

I don't see religion as a instinct at all; something inborn or naturally occurring. Rather, I regard religion as a set of beliefs and activities purposely concocted, and usually grounded in the supernatural, to typically sooth one's worries, fears, anxieties, despair, etc., etc.

So rather than an instinct, I see religion as a concocted panacea.

From what I got, the instinct isn't 'religion' but the need to believe. But that's just how I understood it

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Eloi in post #21]
do you think animals are atheists
As humans are biologically animals, yes there are atheists in the animal kingdom.
They know, more than some humans, where they come from. Consider monarch butterflies; a generation of great-granddaughters returns from Canada to Mexico, where their ancestors lived, and no human told them.
Let's say this is true. What does this mean in context to religion and god?
Who do you think arranged it like that?
The god Zimba-do, not your god. Unless you can show me your god did and it can be verified and proven independently and scientifically.

Insert your proof here:

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Eloi »

nobspeople wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:52 am(...)
Insert your proof here:
That's what I am waiting from you: the proof that some apes became humans. Insert it here.

Have a nice machine day.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by nobspeople »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:55 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:52 am(...)
Insert your proof here:
That's what I am waiting from you: the proof that some apes became humans. Insert it here.

Have a nice machine day.
:lol:
You don't understand evolution, as do so many that try to use it to prove their religious point.

Nor did you comment on the other part of my response.

Sad but expected.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Eloi »

I think that what is sad and expected too, is the way you irrespect believers, being yourself another believer, but in men ... That is doble sad.
Good bye.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by nobspeople »

Eloi wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:19 pm I think that what is sad and expected too, is the way you irrespect believers, being yourself another believer, but in men ... That is doble sad.
Good bye.

Did you mean dis-respect? If so, spell-check is your friend :approve:
If you acknowledge you know little to nothing about evolution, why do you continue to use it to further your chosen lifestyle agenda?

Diogenes
Guru

Post #28

Post by Diogenes »

Livescience.com is not one of the better science sites and despite the fact I like the article's headline, "Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?" :) Religion is certainly not an instinct because it is not an "innate, typically fixed pattern of behavior." The main factor in religious belief is culture, or the subculture one is born into. People tend to follow the religion they are raised in. This is easily seen by examining world statistics, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religions_by_country shows that some countries are 95-99% Christian while others are 95-99% Muslim. Most people end up following the "faith of their fathers." If, in general atheists are smarter, it likely has something to do with their superior intelligence allowing them to resist the indoctrination of their family and culture. They aren't smarter because they are atheists; being an atheist does not make one 'smart.' It is more likely that with greater intelligence, one has a better ability to adapt and the mental fortitude to appreciate one's own analysis rather than go along with the crowd.

BTW, I do not apply the term "atheist" to myself. I'm simply not an a theist. The reasons I don't like the word "atheist" are not relevant here, but could inspire a separate thread.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

tam
Savant

Post #29

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
For discussion:
How is religion and the belief in it and god, NOT an instinct?
The article failed to demonstrate that religion is an instinct. At this point it is just a claim, an idea (the study that the article is based upon is attempting to figure out why atheists - in general - appear to be more intelligent than religious people). But it should be up to them to prove it, right? Or at least provide some evidence other than 'intelligent people can overcome instinct; atheists are more intelligent than religious people; therefore religion is an instinct.' I don't think that's even a logically sound statement.

What more needs to be said than that?

As for the things that you brought up:
nobspeople wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:06 am Link below, for your viewing pleasure.

Not to turn this into a 'theist aren't as smart as atheists' debate. What I found interesting is, from the article: "Religion is an instinct, they say, and people who can rise above instincts are more intelligent than those who rely on them."

Most everyone has a 'routine': wake up, brush teeth, shower, coffee, phone scroll, dress for work, take the same way to work, go to lunch at X time, leave at Y time, get home, take off your shoes, grab a drink, walk the dog, cook, TV/read, news, sleep, repeat (for example).
If those are supposed to be examples of instinctual behavior, then atheists would be every bit as instinctual as religious people. Just in different things. This would undermine the the 'hypothesis' of the study.

(I don't see the above things as being instinctual though, but rather as routines (as you said), traditions.)

I found this concept fascinating.
And it makes a lot of sense: religious people (christians here, going forward) are very ritualistic in not only their views on religion but their actions of it, as well: baptisms, communions, prayers, religious services, systematic reading of the bible only (or at least, majorly).

Instinct could be why some feel it necessary to attribute morality, for example, to god. It's what 'we've always done'. This could also be the reason why there is so much fear among some christians for 'change': can't marry that person of a different race or same sex; guys can't have long hair; can't drink caffeine; can't dance; must be republican; must go to church on this day; must get married in a church; must be baptized; etc (it's worth noting these beliefs aren't shared will all christians, simply giving examples from some christians).
Again, I don't see how you're describing instinct here; rather than tradition and/or rule-following.

The article gives a pretty good example of 'instinct' though. It states that the instinct, when someone is 'having a go' at you, would be to punch that person in the face (I don't think everyone would respond that way, but at least it is describing a compulsion, a heat of the moment desire - really a desire of the flesh). It states that an intelligent person would find a way to stop that instinct and seek a better way to resolve the issue. That can apply to both atheists and theists. Therefore, this would also undermine the 'hypothesis' in the study. Indeed, there is even this Teacher in a faith who actually teaches others to rise above that instinct and well, you know... turn the other cheek.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to tam in post #29]
The article failed to demonstrate that religion is an instinct.
What I got from it was the need for people to believe as if that need was an instinct, not religion itself.
If those are supposed to be examples of instinctual behavior, then atheists would be every bit as instinctual as religious people. Just in different things. This would undermine the the 'hypothesis' of the study.
It's important to note the things I listed were from me, not the article and shouldn't be taken to discredit (or credit) the article itself. The idea was, as you said, routine, nothing more.
I don't see how you're describing instinct here; rather than tradition and/or rule-following.
I see tradition could be instinctually based. That doesn't mean tradition is good or bad, just something people partake in for no other good reason than it's 'part of humanity', in a sense.
That can apply to both atheists and theists.
Yes. As can stupidity, racism, loving, smelly, tall, fatness, etc. The article was attempting to show correlations and, according to the findings, correlates these things with religion and religious viewing.
Indeed, there is even this Teacher in a faith who actually teaches others to rise above that instinct and well, you know... turn the other cheek.
Teachings are only as good as the students who apply said teachings.